Amalfi coast w/o a car?

Aug 26th, 2003, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Amalfi coast w/o a car?

We're considering a stay on the Amalfi Coast but hate driving in foreign countries. If we stay in Positano is it easy enough to get to other destinations (Capri, Sorrento, Amalfi & day trip to Pompei) by boat, taxi or bus? We'd probably hire a driver or look for a small tour group for the trip to Pompei.

If we don't have our own car would we be better off staying in Positano (leaning towards the Poseidon) or could we do just as well based out of Praiano (Hotel Tritone sounds fantastic)?
Aug 26th, 2003, 03:18 PM

When are you going? In the summer, traffic and crowds make boats the best option between destinations, although sometimes the boats don't run out of Positano due to choppy water conditions.

As far as where to base, it depends what you're looking for. Praiano is much quieter than Positano, and is somewhat less convenient to other towns on the coast. Also, it's not home to one of my all-time favorite hotels, the Poseidon. Just make sure you ask for and get a room with a terrace overlooking Positano instead of the hotel garden.

Good luck, and have a wonderful time!
Aug 26th, 2003, 04:26 PM

I have made three trips of three week durations in the last few years to the Amalfi Coast and have never rented a car nor would I want to. The SITA buses, ferries and Circumvensuviana Railway will get you anywhere you want to go without any problems. Incidentally I would never stay in Positano but would headquarter myself in Sorrento as there is much more to do there. Just my opinion, yours may differ. Have a great trip.

Larry J
Aug 26th, 2003, 04:28 PM

there are buses to take you to your choices. once in sorrento, you may want to take the local train to get to pompeii- altho there are other options for everything now. i beleive the ferry stops service in oct. (two years ago it was not running in nov.) but we took the bus all along that route.
Aug 26th, 2003, 04:29 PM

oops--i do know how to spell--believe--just cannot type
Aug 26th, 2003, 04:33 PM

We were 10 days on the Amalfi Coast last fall (split between Positano & Sorrento). We skipped our usual rental car and were really glad that we did. We were able to not have to worry about driving or parking and both of us got to look at the gorgeous scenery instead of having to keep our eyes on the sinuous road. We used a combination of public transportation, taxi, ferry and hired drivers.
Aug 26th, 2003, 05:16 PM

As Slopugs inferred you might enjoy splitting time between Sorrento and Positano. Sorrento allows to to do the working portion - Pompeii and Capri as well as walking around Sorrento. Positano allows you torest a bit -- one side trip to Amalfi and Ravello. The rest of your time can be spent as a rich, causual tourist as opposed to a rushed member of a tour group.
Aug 26th, 2003, 06:40 PM

Just wanted to add another opinion about Sorrento vs Positano. Sorrento is a medium-sized city. To me, it has a more Americanized feel than some of the towns on the Amalfi Coast like Positano, Praiano, and Ravello. Although it has some wonderful restaurants, nothing compared to the food or scenery we experienced in Positano or Montepertuso, a small mountain village about fifteen minutes outside of Positano. However, there's no doubt that Sorrento offers much more to do at night, and easier access to Capri, Pompeii, and Naples.

Good luck with your choice!
Aug 26th, 2003, 06:44 PM

I agree with the last few posters recommending a night or two in Sorrento and would only add: Don't forget Naples! It's really worth a day trip (easy from Sorrento by hydrofoil) or in conjunction with your visit to Pompei. All of the best artifacts from Pompei are now housed in the archeological museum in Naples.
Aug 26th, 2003, 06:48 PM

I apologize for forgetting by beloved Napoli. I've gotten used to defending and I should spend my time suggesting.
Aug 27th, 2003, 05:18 AM
ira

Hi Alan,

I'll be staying in Praiano this Oct. It is only several km from Positano on the bus route, has several very well recommended restaurants and is less crowded than Positano.
Aug 27th, 2003, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. It sounds like we can do well w/o a car, now I just have to decide where to stay! We're not going until May 2004 so I've got a little time to decide.
Aug 27th, 2003, 05:29 PM

Just wanted to agree with the above posters on Sorrento. It's a convenient place to daytrip from (we did Capri, Pompeii & Herculaneum from there), but you want to be further south to enjoy the Amalfi Coast. We loved Positano. Took many lovely walks (loads of steps if you don't mind). We spent a couple of hours at the Archaeological Museum in Naples. I would highly recommend that if you have any interest in it whatsoever before touring Pompeii. We also ate pizza at Trianon, one of the oldest pizzerias. It was delicious and definitely worth the experience! I'm salivating just thinking about it.....
Aug 28th, 2003, 04:15 AM

We stayed two nights in Sorrento, and I would highly recommend it. We loved Sorrento...and we had awesome meals there (L'Antica Trattoria, Carusos). We stayed at La Grand Hotel Cocumella; a converted monastery on a cliff. It was just wonderful. At night you can go to the center of town, dine, walk along all of the shops (that stay open), and visit one of many coffee and dessert bars and listen to live entertainment. I would highly recommend it.

We also stayed in Positano and would recommend staying there. We stayed at Le Agavi, which is one of the higher elevated hotels. Excellent views, great staff and dining. Le Agavi offers their own transportation from the hotel to the lower elevations in Positano. From there you just walk all the way down, through the shops and restaurants, to the beach.

Transportation: We took a cab from Sorrento to Positano (pre-negotiated fare). You can a boat from Positano to Amalfi, which is very nice. And also a boat from Positano to Capri, which is also very nice. A hydrofoil runs from Capri to Naples. We also took a cab from Amalfi to Ravello and back. My only caution with the taxis is to negotiate the fare before hand.

(Otherwise I would skip Naples.)
Aug 28th, 2003, 04:20 AM
ira

Hi Lizzie,

Can you give us some idea of the cab fares?
Aug 28th, 2003, 05:19 AM

I think we may have paid around $30 - $40 for the cab from Sorrento to Positano. It was very reasonable, considering we had all our luggage, which they may charge extra for x amount of pieces. We were charged over $50 for the cab from Amalfi to Ravello and back, which was way too much. We learned our lesson the hard way, because we did not negotiate before hand. At that point, there's nothing really you can do. We tried to talk him down, but it didn't work. And we didn't even have luggage...it was just the two of us. My fiance would have a much better recollection of the actual fares, because he actually paid them.

Search this Thread