Reload this Page >

How do I bring it all home??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 07:07 PM
betty

Ok, now don't think this is a dumb qestion. This is my first time abroad (and only 2nd time flying); but I just read about the baggage handlers stealing a $200. pair of shoes from luggage - so my question is: how do I bring home my gifts for loved ones back home?? When I board the plane, can I carry my carry on bag, pocketbook and shopping bag (or bags)?

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 07:14 PM
kate

I travel to Europe at least once a year and within the US a couple of times at least.Never have I had anything stolen from my luggage.<BR>I always keep my luggage locked with good locks and I have the key on me in case they need to search them for security.<BR>Flying home from holidays with bags full of presents has never been a problem, I also carry a tote that zips closed with breakables in it,that fits under the seat on the plane.If something will fit in your purse,that is good too.I always carry any jewelry/cameras in my purse or carry on tote.<BR>You will be fine,don't worry.Have a great trip.Kate

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 07:20 PM
StCirq

Betty: First of all, invest in a good suitcase lock and use it. Second, it seems to me that the airlines' rules for carry-ons these days are somewhat arbitrary and may change from day to day. I don't think in any case you would be allowed to board with three items classified as "carry-on bag," "purse," and "shopping bags," though I've seen some people try that. I'm somewhat of a minimalist traveler, and I don't like to be weighed down with "stuff," so what I board with is a fairly large (maybe 12" X 14") tote bag.It carries my wallet, eyeglasses case, small cosmetics case, book I'm reading, and whatever small purchases I have picked up at the airport - and I always pick up a few magazines and chocolate bars and other small souvenirs. <BR>I sometimes am also carrying a computer in a carrying case. This gets stored in the luggage compartment above me. I try not to put much else in it other than the computer, but if I am pressed for space for souvenirs, I may occasionally fill the extra pockets in it with small items I've picked up.<BR>I would suggest that, in Europe, you buy yourself a nice tote bag that will be a reminder of your trip and that you will use back home. When it comes time to pack up to return home, use it for all the extras you can't fit in the suitcase. If you can't fit in the tote bag, you've probably got too much stuff. Alternatively, and I admit I've done this on long-ago trips when I wasn't so minimalist, you can buy a cheap second suitcase and pack all your goodies in there and check it along with the suitcase you brought with you.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 02:17 AM
Suzy

Rather than buying an extra suitcase for the new loot, I travel with a totally collapsible nylon bag from Totes. On the way home, I fill it with laundry and other unbreakables and check it, and put the gifts and fragile things in my carryon.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 02:36 AM
Amy

I had 2 leather wallets that I purchased in Italy stolen on my flight back to the States over xmas. I have used locks and they are snapped off by a certain airline that feels they have the right to do this as part of their baggage security screening...rather than just asking me if they can search my baggage while I am present.<BR><BR>My solution as of now is to try to put the most valuable and smaller items in my carry-on bag. Larger items can go in the checked baggage...it is more difficult for larger bulkier items to be stolen by airline personnel as it is difficult for them to discreetly slip it into their pockets. It was very upsetting to return home in the States for xmas to have to tell my father and brother-in-law that their xmas gifts were stolen on the way home.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 03:24 AM
xxx

StCirq, if you carry such a small tote in the cabin where do you put your camera and exposed film?

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 04:44 AM
Alex

I second Suzy's advice. i put my less-than-valuable loot (guidebooks, postcards, etc) along with my dirty laundry in a duffel bag that I checked and kept the breakable and more valuable items in my carry-on bags.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 09:44 AM
Bob

Over 25 trips to Europe and never anything stolen as we always use hard side luggage, not the soft stuff you see with holes in it. We also ship things home when they are too bulky. Have always had good luck with this. The Tote bag trick is also good.Goes into the bag until you need it.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 09:53 AM
StCirq

xxx: I have a very small digital camera that fits easily in my tote.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 10:16 AM
Sue

June Conde Nast Traveler posts this Consumer Alert: "Before the recent FAA-mandated limits, most airlines allowed passengers two carry-on bags. Now, fliers are restricted to one personal item, such as a purse, briefcase, or laptop, and one small piece of luggage that will fit in the overhead bin or under the seat. On particularly full flights and on small aircraft, fliers are sometimes restricted to only one item."<BR><BR>I copied this for a poster a week or so ago who said that she had not been allowed to carry on a shopping bag.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 11:44 AM
Betty

Well, thanks everyone for the advice. I guess I will have to consider the sizes of the gifts that I buy. Oh well, as they say, good things come in small packages! (Can I CARRY my Harrods bear in my arm?) LOL

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 11:54 AM
Suzy

Betty, the bear will be just fine if you put him in a plastic bag and pop him into the collapsible tote with the laundry.<BR><BR>It's not too hard to get into a mindset of choosing souvenirs and gifts that travel well. Unframed prints (smaller than your suitcase), anything textile (scarves, clothes, totebags), and small but nice things (jewelry) are very portable. Forget about shopping for shoes, furnishings, and china!

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 01:58 PM
msa

Betty, you mention Harrods...so looks like London is where you are headed. We usually bring a collapsable bag (we have one that has wheels on the bottom and can zip/unzip 3 tiers and is heavy canvas/nylon so sturdy) in our suitcase and when we head home check our regular suitcase with just dirty clothes, etc in it but use the tiered bag for new purchases and carry that on. When we were in London we did use a Mail Boxes Etc. type of place to ship items home...they made it back before we did! Much easier than hauling tons of stuff home. I would guess that Harrods may also ship for you for a fee.<BR>

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 02:43 PM
Betty

Well, all of these ideas sound great. I will look into purchasing one of them. Thanks~