Carry on luggage

Search

Carry on luggage

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carry on luggage

I read a lot of chatter about carry on luggage on this forum but have a couple of queries. I always travel with a bag which is well within the respective airlines carryon size limits. But it's often heavier than the permitted 7kg limit (for flights within and from Australia) and I often pack scissors, nail clippers, sometimes liquids over 100ml, etc. So I have to check my bag. How do others get around this? Do you not pack anything sharp and keep under 7kg? I can travel for an extended time (months) with around 10-12kg but getting it under 7kg (including my handbag) is tough for me.
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 07:26 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>and I often pack scissors, nail clippers, sometimes liquids over 100ml, etc. So I have to check my bag. How do others get around this? Do you not pack anything sharp and keep under 7kg?<<

In general small scissors are allowed. Nail clippers are just fine (ones without a sharp nail file attachment). I never find it necessary to take larger than 100ml liquids. If it is something like mouthwash I either take 2 or 3 under 100ml bottles, or I just take one and buy a small bottle at my destination. And none of the airlines I fly weigh carry ons -- mine will typically weigh about 9 or 10 kg. BUT if I was flying on a 'weighing' airline - I simply cram my personal item (usually a medium sized tote bag or large-ish purse) with the excess things from my carry-on - especially the liquids baggie - until I'm through check in and security, and when I'm airside, rearrange things so my personal Item just has the things I need handy during the flight.
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 07:35 PM

7KG is hard. Outside of the above comments buy the lightest possible carry on. There are bags that are 500grams or close to it. At 7kg you don't need wheels or fancy straps.
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 10:30 PM

Large flexible personal item

lots of experimentation with liquids. Containers of different shapes, or knowing how much I’ll probably need of something.

Very occasionally I’ll buy something overseas. But I’ve found the biggest weight trick is to consider what you really need. Shoes, books, etc weigh a lot more than clothes. Nail clippers I understand, but what do you need scissors for? Is it possible you’re packing a bunch of stuff you could do without?

I will say I often check on the way home just because I like to shop.
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 11:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback, all good ideas. I would be amazed though if Australian security would allow scissors through and I've had clippers confiscated before. I could travel without nail scissors but because I have to check due to weight I stick them in anyway. I do try and keep things like shampoo in small bottles. Australian weight restrictions (officially at least) include your handbag/tote in your weight allowance - it's just the luck of the day as to whether they check. Judging by what I've observed on some flights, some people are clearly carrying more than the permitted weight (and sometimes size). But impossible to tell beforehand whether they will be checking. btw I don't think 10-12kg for a month or two's travel is too much, although of course some people will travel with less.
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 06:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My bigger bag usually weighs in at 10-11 kg and I check it. I also have a day bag that fits under the seat in front. I don't want to schlep the bigger bag through airports, and I do want to take nail scissors and more liquids than are allowed. But aside from crossing oceans I prefer to travel by train rather than plane, so it is often only at the beginning and end of a trip that I fly.
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 08:14 AM

I had my small nail scissors confiscated this year. They wanted to take my eyebrow tweezers as well, but didn’t in the end.

I’ve only once been with someone who had their carryon weighed.

My purse is a small crossbody which goes into my carryon, and I carry a computer bag as my personal item. I pack it with shoes, iPad, heavier things that would add to carryon weight if by chance it was weighed.

I shudder to think of all the toiletries I used to schlep with me.

Last edited by sugarmaple; Aug 23rd, 2019 at 08:17 AM.
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 08:26 AM

I have no need for anything "sharp" in my carryon, that is hardly a necessity. I don't carry scissors in it or my purse, that's the only sharp thing I can think of that would be confiscated in my purse. I have never once had fingernail clippers confiscating on any airline in any country, but if I did have experience with that, I wouldn't have them in there either, surely one can do without that for a flight.

If I only wanted to do carryon for a trip (whcih I do for short trips), I just don't pack scissors nor a waiter's corkscrew type thing I sometimes pack for longer flights (which does have a small "knife" on it). As I said, I have never once had fingernail clippers confiscated. If I did, I'd probably take a pair and remove the small pointy portion as I rarely use it anyway, I only use the clippers part. If this is really such a necessity, you can easily buy that at a destination for a trivial amount of money. I never pack large amts of liquids, there isn't any reason to. Even if a trip of a couple weeks, I never need that much.

Don't know about the wgt thing, I have never been on a flight that had those limits, only size, for carryons. I don't think I could do that. I'm surprised Australia has airlines with different limits than other countries for international flights.
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 10:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had bags searched down to the dirty underwear. I've had bags weighed to the nearest 100 grams. I've had a bag searcher find my toothpaste and put it into a plastic TSA bag rather than throw it out. I've never had a bag put into the size checker.
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 10:19 AM

Once I had a bag put into it. It was too big. I took out the newspaper in the side pocket and put it under my arm. Then it fit. She didn’t check anyone else’s bag, though I could see there were larger ones. Luck of the draw, or more likely, I’m in a uniform and I don’t like you
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 10:30 AM

Well 7kg for bag plus personal item would be impossible for me, I hope European airlines never do this. I can do 8kg plus a personal item that is not weighed and put all my heavy stuff in there. But I have seen lots of people stuff their pockets - especially with small heavy items like phones, cameras, chargers, etc. I think that technique makes sense but I have also seen people put on three sweaters, two scarves, a jacket - you get the idea. Obviously wearing your bulky, heaviest clothing makes sense. And buying things like shampoo, mouthwash, etc. once you get there also makes packing easier/lighter.
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 10:56 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
If I were traveling for a month or two, I would buy things like shampoo and body lotion after arrival. I've never had nail clipper questioned. what do you need scissors for?
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 11:20 AM

suze, if I’m checking a bag I bring nail scissors. Now that you ask, I don’t know why! Just habit, I guess.
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 11:23 AM

And yes another good trick is a larger personal item (like an oversized tote or pocketbook not just a small purse) if a 2nd item is allowed.

Aren't nail clipper and nail-sized scissors allowable?
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 12:42 PM

suze, I mentioned upthread that my nail scissors were taken from me.
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 12:51 PM

Yes I saw that.

But TSA rules say scissors less than 4 inches "like nail scissors" are "generally allowed by TSA, with the disclaimer that the final decision rests with each agent.

Hence my question.
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 02:46 PM

dreamon, I had safety scissors (round tips) taken from me!

We had to do the 7KG in New Zealand. We bought Scottevests. Everyone in the family looked 9 months pregnant.