Norway in a Nutshell

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 10:03 AM
Thor

Norway in a Nutshell

For the railway trip from Oslo to Bergen, with the side trip to Flam, and the Fjord crossing, does anyone know whether you can break this trp up. i.e; travel to to Flam or Aurlsand on one day, and then continue the journey to Voss, and Bergen the next? Anyone have a favourite fjord overnight stop on this route?

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 10:27 AM
Bjorn

It is easy to break it up. Depending on how much time you've got and on your budget/splurging ratio, you'll have a lot of options. Will a detour, either to Hardanger (south of Voss) or the glaciers (north of Sognefjord) be of any interest? What time of year have you planned? I'll be happy to help.
Bjorn, Oslo

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 11:11 AM
Thor

Bjorn: Thanks for your offer of help. Basically, we were planning to travel in the summer, and wanted to do the Norway in a Nutshell trip from Oslo to Bergen via Flam, the fjord trip through Aurlandsfjord, the Naerofjord, and the Sognefjord ending up in Gudvangen, and taking the bus from there to Voss, completing the journey by train to Bergen. I would like to break this trip up and stay in one of the villages along the fjords as long as I can picked up from there to continue the boat journey to Gudvangen. I was looking for advice on whether Flam or Aurlands, or some other town might be the nicest place to spend a few days. We are outdoor people, and like to walk/hike.

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 01:11 PM
Marija

We enjoyed the Stalheim hotel, at which the bus from Gudvangen stops so everyone can have a look at the great views. We spent the night at the Stalheim and the next morning continued by bus to the Sognefjord and spent the night in Balestrand. From there we took a boat back to Bergen. We really enjoyed the fjords. We started from Bergen and left our gear in a locker at the train station, taking only a small bag of necessities. From Bergen we cruised the Hardangenfjord, then picked up the Nutshell route with stops along the way. Transportation on buses/trains/boats is incredibly well coordinated. I'm really glad we expanded the Nutshell. Norway is great. Have fun.

Old Nov 5th, 2001, 05:14 AM
Paige

We also stopped for 2 nights in Stalheim and loved it! The area around there is beautiful and we spent our day hiking nearby. Bjorn in Oslo helped us a bunch -- Hi Bjorn!!

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 03:11 PM
Betsy

We are leaving Stockholm 10 July on a cruise and would like to take the Norway in a Nutshell trip. Can we do it in 2 days, staying someplace overnight? The 24 hour trip may be rough on my eldery husband. Also, is it possible to fly from USA into Bergen, take the Nutshell trip, and train back to Oslo or Stockholm.