Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Day-trips from Oslo. Bergen, perhaps? Trondheim?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2011, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello.

I will be in Oslo for three days next month in April and am considering taking a day-trip. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. I was considering flying to Bergen or Trondheim early in the morning and returning late afternoon/early evening. I would love to be able to see the fjords if only for a short time. I will have already been traveling a good deal so am not certain if I want to add two more flights to the picture.My hotel has already been paid for in Oslo so staying overnight in Bergen or Trondheim won't work this trip. If not to Bergen or Trondheim, any place else closer to Oslo I could get to by public transportation? Is there enough to keep one busy for three days in Oslo?

Thanks in advance.

Ross
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 04:56 AM

Norway in a Nutshell, a combo train, bus and boat trip on Norway's longest jford is easily done in a day from Oslo - on your own via public transportation - and the fjord boat ride is one of my very most awesome travel experiences in decades of European travels.
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, PalenQ for you prompt response. I'm aware of Norway in a Nutshell but am hesitant to do so because of the time involved. Did you find it to be an exhausting day even though worthwhile at the same time? Would flying back seem more logical in one day?

Thanks.

Ross
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 05:09 AM

Yes it is a lot of travel time but nearly the whole thing is dramatically scenic, including taking the Bergen Railway to Myrdhal or Voss to start the Norway in a Nutshell loop - no need to go to Bergen - the railway is one of Europe's most scenic in all lists I've seen and I would rank it in my Top Five - th fjord ride totally awesome. From Myrdhal you take a narrow-gague mountain railway down to the fjord (or up from it if coming the other way via train to Voss then sweet mountain bus down to th fjord at Gudvagen to hop the ferry to Flam - train back up to Myrdhal - this Flam train stops at a waterfall mid way up/down for photo opps/clsoer look.

Organized tour minimizes the time. Check out these sites as well as www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com for more info on Norway Nutshell and trains, ferries on the route. Easy to book once in Oslo I think so can decide on the spur of moment once there.

Norway in a nutshell - Most beautiful scenery in Norway.
Book "Norway in a Nutshell"
About the trip - Facts - Prices and itineraries
www.norwaynutshell.com

Topic: Tours & Safaris, Fjords & Mountains. The Sognefjord in a nutshell. Map of. Norway. Map of Norway · Go to map of Norway ...
http://www.visitnorway.com/en/sponso...n-a-nutshell-/
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 05:18 AM
Original Poster

The way in which it's described is prompting me to do it even with all the travel time involved. Thank you for your suggestion, PalenQ. Would you think the terrain would be snow-covered during the third week of April? Temperature mild enough?

Ross
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 05:43 AM

I would not be sure of an answer to the snow Q - the fjord area is fairly warm all year due to the Gulf Stream - there will be snow where the train crests over the mountains and that is there most of the year I think - but in April snow as a hindrance on the trip would not be a factor I think - but again I am totally sure. Temps should be I would think in 40s or 50s - talking about Bergen area - due to the Gulf Stream.
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 06:40 AM

I am on exchange in Oslo for the year and I have plenty of friends who have done the Norway in a Nutshell or other fjord tours throughout the year. All four seasons are stunning, and some argue that winter is the most beautiful so if there is snow, all to the good. Temperatures should not be too cold in April, though. I would recommend doing the Norway in a Nutshell tour, it is great. It is not hard to do in a day and it is not too tiring as much of your time is spent sitting on trains, etc. But Oslo is also a great city and there is plenty to fill your time over three days. That said, it is small enough that you can see the major sites and a couple museums in 2 days easily. Hope you enjoy the trip!
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 07:18 AM

There won't be snow in Bergen - there wasn't in February. Probably rain, but no snow.

Can't say about the rest of the Nutshell trip though.

I'm not sure Trondheim is worth a day trip from Oslo, unless you have already done everything there is to do in the south. It is a lovely city but a long way from Oslo, and the Nidaros Dom is currently undergoing internal restoration so you can only see a small part of it.
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 07:23 AM

Gothenberg (sp?) Sweden is another fantastic day trip if you want to see a neat old city - an ancient point with direct high-speed trains from Oslo.
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to all who have responded to my post. I appreciate it!

It seems as if I want to do the Norway in a Nutshell tour departing and returning from Oslo in one day I would need to take the night train back to Oslo. Is this the case for the month of April? Also, it doesn't seem possible to fly back to Oslo the same evening due to the time involved of arriving in Bergen after the tour and taking a late night flight. Please advise, and once again, thanks.

Ross
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 06:31 AM

I am doing a Nutshell tour in April. We are driving from Gothenburg to Oslo, doing an overnight there, then driving to Voss. We will spend 2 nights in Voss. We will do the 1 day Nutshell tour, then drive back to Oslo for another 1 night stay before heading back to Gothenburg. {We are picking up a new Volvo}.

I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out how to do the Nutshell without the "official" company [same things but on our own]. Since we are there for such a short amount of time, I decided that in this instance that the packaged tour was the easiest and safest way to go. We have NEVER done a packaged tour, but have gotten lots of positive feedback on Nutshell.

We are doing the tour on April 21st, maybe we will see you!

I plugged in a date in April, these are the times I got:

Departure from Oslo 08:11
The Bergen Railway
Arrival Myrdal 12:53
Departure from Myrdal 13:00
The Flåm Railway
Arrival Flåm 13:51
Departure from Flåm 15:10
Fjord cruise
Arrival Gudvangen 17:20
Departure from Gudvangen 17:25
Bus

Arrival Voss 18:20
Departure from Voss 19:20
The Bergen Railway
Arrival Bergen 20:34
Departure from Bergen 22:58
The Bergen Railway
Day 2
Wed 13 Apr 06:26 Arrival Oslo 06:26
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 07:02 AM

It appears that in April that the trains are more limited, so it may not be possible to do the Oslo-Myrdal-Flam-Voss-Oslo RT in one day. Also, the night train from Bergen to Oslo does not run every night in April, so that may not be an option either.

You might contact one of the companies that sell the ticket packages to see what they could suggest for a one-day RT from Oslo. The NIN "tour" is not a guided tour and does not use any different/dedicated transportation. You are simply sold the package of tickets/reservations rather than buying individual train, bus, and ferry tickets yourself.

The travel folks in Norway would know what the timetables are for the public transport for days in April. Quite different schedule from peak summer tourist season.
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 08:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oslo has a sort of museum quarter (4 museums close together) including 3 viking ships.Might be worth a day
Old Mar 13th, 2011, 06:01 PM

I loved NIN. The scenery--especially Stalheim--was spectacular. Unfortunately, it poured during my fjord portion. I went in June and there was snow on top of the mountains and the train passed one snowy area. It was beautiful and most of the areas were warm and sunny.
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to EVERYONE who has responded. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to do the NORWAY IN A NUTSHELL tour this trip, though I would love to. I have to be back in Oslo at night and the train schedules during the month of April don't coincide with my schedule. I was considering flying round=trip to Bergen one day. Any suggestions on seeing the fjords from Bergen? Someplace that wouldn't take very long to get to via public transport?

Thanks very much!!!

Ross
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 06:24 AM

From Bergen you have the same Norway in a Nutshell but this time taking a train to Voss, then a mountain bus down to the jford at Gudvagen, ferry to Flam along the fantastic fjord then Flam train to Myrdhal and train back to Bergen. Look inside the Bergen train station for special info on this Norway in a Nutshell from Bergen on your own using public transportation. Bergen of course much closer to fjords than Oslo.