Ceramics in carry on?

Old Jun 14th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ceramics in carry on?

Hello

I just bought some small ceramic pieces and had assumed that I would have to carefully wrap them and hope they made it back in one piece in my checked luggage. But I haven't been able to find anything on the TSA website stating that ceramics were prohibited in carry on luggage.

Could someone let me know if I can pack the ceramics in my carry on luggage coming back from Spain to the US?

Thanks.

PS. I found a nice little Sunday morning ceramics market in Granada.
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 07:37 AM
pdx

Oooh, grrr....if only I had known when I was there in March......oooh, now I'm pissed that I missed it....
I put my ceramics in my carry-on. That's not to say there aren't regulations against it, but I've never had anyone even blink at it. I'd rather they kick me off the plane than take my precious ceramics away or throw them in with the checked luggage.
What'd you buy?
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 07:42 AM

Almost every piece of my rather large ceramic collection was brought to the U.S. via my carry-on. Before 9/11, nobody asked me to unwrap the bubble-wrapped items in my bag. Now, bringing most things back is a pain.

Ceramic may not cause you any TSA problems but the weight of your carry-on could. One never knows when a ticket agent in Europe will ask you to place your carry-on bag on the scale. Be prepared for a packing Plan B. (Been there, done that.)
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 07:58 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I have brought ceramics in my carry-on bags many times. No regulations against them, as far as I know. They aren't liquid, they aren't weapons (well, I wouldn't bring a ceramic knife in my carry-on), they aren't hazardous cargo. I wrap them in my clothes.
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info.

I bought small pieces - a toothbrush holder and a soap dish for the bathroom and a spoon rest and a garlic container for the kitchen - so they don't weigh much and will easily fit into my bag.

pdx -you'll just have to go back!
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 08:40 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
There's no problem taking ceramics in your carry-on.