Lightweight Carry-on

Old Mar 29th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightweight Carry-on

I am looking for a super lightweight carry-on for a trip to Europe in Sept. I will be using a carry-on only plus a back pack for a 3 week train trip. I am a 68 year old, 5'1" woman so I want my carry-on itself to be as lightweight as possible. I did a similar trip 2 years ago with a 24" suitcase, weighing 35 lbs. and it was extremely difficult to carry it up and down the stairs between the train platforms so I have vowed to do this with a maximum of 25 lbs. this time. Also, I am hoping to find something pretty inexpensive, and I DO NOT like the spinner wheels on the train. Thanks.
Old Mar 29th, 2013, 11:05 PM

Start with www.ebags.com Find what you may like and see if you can get a better deal. They show the weight of every product, as well as reviews.

Why a backpack? I would carry a day pack long before a backpack.

You should be able to live with a carry-on and a day pack, without having to haul a backpack with you all the time. It's a heck of a lot less hassle.

I have a solid blue le sportsac that is closing in on 30 years old, that is still not worn out. Lightweight, carries everything I need for a day's traveling. 5 zippered compartments, so it's hard to steal from, straps that adjust and quite secure on metros.

Get small woolite packages to wash out the undies, and you're good to go.
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 07:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You may find my packing lists helpful - I'm also mid-sixties and travel light. I've mostly traveled with a convertible carry on size back pack and a day pack, although I've taken a small wheelie on the last couple of trips,

See http://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com/...take-part-one/
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 08:12 AM

I don't have trouble managing a 24" roller bag but mine never weighs more than 25 lbs. packed. I don't think it's the size I think it's the weight that made it difficult for you last time.

For train travel I'd pick the most lightweight 2-wheeled 22" roller suitcase you can find (typically they will weight 5-7 lbs).

For a truly lightweight bag you need one that doesn't have the frame, handle, wheels (there's just a certain amount they are going to weight) that you'd have to carry, like a rip-stop nylon duffel bag. Not recommending this because I prefer to wheel than carry, just saying that's a type of bag you could find that could only weight a couple pounds empty.
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 10:27 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Do you have a Marshall's/TJMaxx/RossStore near you? They usually have a lot of discounted luggage. You can open them/wheel them around, get a feel.

Lightest will be a composite hard side - main disadvantage being no outside pockets to hold documents/etc.

I definitely wouldn't take a backpack too. And not even a daypack unless you already use one in your day-to-day life. I'd take a lightweight satchel-type handbag -even better if it is convertible to crossbody.

A 20 to 22inch rollie bag plus a large/light handbag should be all you need. I'm taking a 19incher+handbag for a 3 week trip to Scotland/London next month.

I also wouldn't worry about buying the 'best' brand since carry ons don't generally get the rough treatment that checked bags do.

(If there is a Macy's near you - they often have very good luggage sales)
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Rasta & janisj: I think what I am calling a "backpack" is what you are referring to as a "daypack". It is what students carry their books around in; not the big one that backpackers use. No way could I do that. It is what I use on the trains to access my book, journal, snacks, etc. and it holds more than that, especially on the way home.

I will look at the website you gave. I do check at places like Ross and TJ Maxx, but they don't usually give the weight on the tags, and I hate to buy one, get it home and find out it weighs as much as the 8&1/2 lb. one I already have.

When you are older there are more things you have to carry around, like medicines, etc.
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 01:48 PM

When you find something you might like at ebags. I saw a low end bag at ebags for about $120. Looking around, I found the same one for around $95.

I'm talking about a day pack, but nothing that goes behind my back. This is an example, but it's much too large for what I'm used to carrying.

http://www.ebags.com/product/lesport...FW7hQgodY2wAig.

Money, wallet, passport, guide books, etc... all go in this day pack. The 6 different compartments is enough to throw anyone off. If I feel I need a bit more security, it goes over my neck and under one of my arms. I've never worn a money belt and never intend to. I even use this day pack on business trips.
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 02:51 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>but they don't usually give the weight on the tags,
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 03:30 PM

I recently got the Osprey Ozone and absolutely love it. I did a lot of research before I bought and it was the lightest one I could find that was of very good quality. Bought it at REI -- Not inexpensive but worth every penny.I think they have both a 22 inch and a 20 inch version.
Old Mar 30th, 2013, 06:07 PM

I just bought an Osprey Ozone Yesterday from REI Online. Also bought at Patagonia Sling/Messenger Type bag. REI.com normally has the weight on everything(just click on Specs). Patagonia make some super light duffel bags that can also carry on your back. You can also find some super lightweight shirts, etc.

I never travel without Ex Officio underwear. I kept telling my wife about them for a few years and now she is a firm believer in them too.
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 08:20 AM

nanaof4, what you are calling a backpack is a backpack; it's just a smaller one.

I understand from your post that you're only looking for advice for the suitcase. Like you, I don't like spinner wheels. I find that on a 21" bag, you lose 2" to just the wheels effectively making it a 19" bag.

However, I do want to be able to roll it, so I recently bought a Nautica Catamaran II 21" carry on and am pleased with it. It weighs less than 5 pounds. I got red.

Couldn't find a link to it on ebags, but here's another link: http://www.gearbuyer.com/products/na...on_womens.html
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 09:53 AM

I think a daypack is fine if that's something you'd use at home. For me I also prefer a tote like the Le SportSacs mentioned. I just find it more comfortable to carry something over my shoulder, than having to sling it around onto my back each time.

As far as weight of the suitcase when you're shopping. Just lift up a few different ones and you can tell which is the lighter weight
Old Mar 31st, 2013, 03:04 PM

ShelliD - your less than 5 lbs bag shows up as 8 lbs on the link you posted.

I'd try to get something in the 5-7 lbs range.

Couple of examples of cheap ones.

http://www.ebags.com/product/netpack...roductid=64774

http://www.ebags.com/product/travelp...uctid=10167817
Old Apr 1st, 2013, 01:25 PM

This is the one I got -- 4 lbs 8 oz and wheels so easily, I love it.

http://www.ebags.com/product/osprey/...ey+ozone+22%22
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 01:17 PM

This is the one I am using for a 6 week trip. Only 2.5 lbs and straps for a backpack.
Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 01:18 PM

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/64438...615-ppxs&dds=y

Sorry forgot the link
Old Apr 4th, 2013, 09:10 PM

LOVE my Brics roller bag and it is the lightest carry on I've tried yet! Got one on sale at Joss and Main last year.