Contact lens solution > 3 oz in carry-on

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to bring an 8 oz bottle since I'm unsure how available it will be in a small town in Guatemala and I'm gone 4 wks. I've read repeatedly that TSA will allow a larger bottle of lens solution as it's medically necessary, however, I've read older posts (2007) that state TSA agents are inconsistent and will sometimes throw out multi-purpose solutions (vs saline which is explicitly allowed -- but saline isn't a disinfectant and must be used with a heat device).

I've never tried to bring in a large bottle of multipurpose lens solution -- recent feedback would be appreciated -- flying out of ORD. tia!
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 11:09 AM

I have never had a problem with a large bottle of lens solution in checked baggage. However, I have never tried to bring a large bottle in carry on luggage.
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 11:21 AM

I always take a zip-lock bag with a large bottle of multipurpose lens solution in my carry-on bag.

This is a separate bag from the quart size bag with three-ounce containers. Take both bags out of your carry-on and put them in the bin with your shoes, etc.

I've never had any trouble with this.

Byrd
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 06:06 PM

Is there some reason that you can't just take several smaller bottles? There is no limit on how many bottles of one item you take as long as they all fit in the baggie.
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 06:39 PM

Just like Byrd I always take a full size bottle. I put it with my other contact stuff (case, etc) in a separate bag and put it in the bin. Never had a problem.
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 06:50 PM

TSA can be fickle, but probably not as ridiculous as a security agent in AMS last year. My friend was flying from Amsterdam to Houston. She had a half-full bottle of contact lens cleaner, capacity 110 ml, in her carry on. The Dutch security agent took it.

Logically you would only bring on board what you need during the flight. Put the big bottle in your checked bag. Buy one of those kits of small bottles at your grocery store or on line.
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 08:00 PM

FYI coming back from Rome/DCO (last Sept) on Delta, going through business check in area, I was required to either pour out most of my large bottle of solution or dump it; since I was on my way home I dumped it. In your shoes I would take several smaller bottles to be sure.
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 11:03 PM
Original Poster

I have one bag for my prescription gels, lotions, etc and will throw in a 4 oz and 2 oz bottle. (that's all i have besides the full size). Hope that's enough as I don't check luggage.

thx all -
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 10:25 AM

This is from the TSA website:

http://www.tsa.gov/311/

"Declare larger liquids. Medications, baby formula and food, and breast milk are allowed in reasonable quantities exceeding three ounces and are not required to be in the zip-top bag. Declare these items for inspection at the checkpoint. Officers may need to open these items to conduct additional screening."

Contact lens solution is considered "medications."
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 10:28 AM

I meant to add that I always take an new still-sealed unopened bottle of lens solution so there is no question about the contents.

Byrd
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 10:41 AM

A really easy way to handle this is to have your eye doctor write you a prescription for a large container of solution. Doctors can do this for over the counter prescriptions and security will honor the prescription. Tell your doctor to write '8 oz bottle Bausch & Lomb (or whatever)' on a script and be on your merry way.

My aunt has a dermatological problem and she travels everywhere with a massive tub of Eucerin (OTC) and only travels with carry on luggage. She has a script for 'Eucerin, 12 oz' from her doctor. She has never had a problem getting through security. She came to visit me in London (from NYC) 2 weeks ago and had no issue with security in Heathrow or on the onward part of her trip to Singapore.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 11:09 AM

This looks like a crack in TSA security. Just maybe people can buy this stuff in any corner drugstore in any city of Europe, or anywhere in the world? Next we'll have people showing up at security with a prescription for the case of Bud Lite in their carry-on.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 11:25 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I am sort of wondering why this is posted on the Europe forum since you are flying between the US and Guatemala.

But in any case, while TSA does allow full sized saline and prescriptions, there still could be a hassle. Not all TSA agents are created equal

If you have a problem at ORD you can always ask for a supervisor and you <i>should</i> be OK. But who knows. Solve the problem by getting three 3oz travel bottles in any walmart/Target/luggage shop/drug store and decant from your 8 oz bottle into the smaller ones.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 12:08 PM

Please don't decant contact lens solutions into smaller bottles. You risk introducing bacteria and contaminating the solution, thus risking infection (which could in turn lead to vision loss).

Like Byrd, I always take full-size bottles of my contact lens solutions in a separate ziplock and put it in the bin with my "regular" liquids ziplock. I did have the agent at the airport in Santorini a few years back give me a bit of a hard time about it - he tried to tell me I could not have the bottle that was more than 100 ml, but then relented and let me go through. Never had any issues anywhere else. I've not been through ORD, though.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 12:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I always take a larger bottle of contact lens solution and have never had a problem. I have never been asked to get rid of it. Returning from Germany, Munich I believe it was, i was asked about it, but that was it. Have not flown out of ORD.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 12:33 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Travelgirl2_99: Implied in my comment was to sterilize the bottles. I have a couple of friends who have done that for years. But you are probably right.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 01:17 PM

My husband has had his large bottles of contact lens solution confiscated on more than one occasion by TSA--most recently just a few months ago.

Some TSA agents will let it go and some won't. But you can't count on getting it through security--even a sealed bottle. If you absolutely have to have it and are sure you can't get it locally, then you should consider checking your bag. (That's why hubby's contact lens solution keeps getting confiscated--he never checks a bag.)
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 04:01 PM

I've flown with greater than 3 oz. bottles of contact lens solutions just fine -- using American TSA. Their website has a provision for contact lens solution.

I've also had them confiscated on the way back to the USA when going through non-US equivalent of TSA.

I would avoid the problem.
1) check a bag. or
2) get smaller bottles of contact solution and make that be the only thing in your ziploc bag. Virtually every brand of solution makes a "TSA-friendly" size of solution (I know... I use an obscure brand! Sereine soaking and cleaning solutions - hard to get)
Old Jul 13th, 2011, 06:40 AM

I took larger than 3 oz bottles of contact lenses solution 3 weeks ago thru IAD. For the first time, the TSA pulled them out and asked me to open them. They did some sort of test with a strip. First time this has ever happened to me. They readily acknowledged that it was contact lens solution. They gave me back the bottles with no issues after the test.
Old Aug 26th, 2011, 04:23 PM

Okay another episode with contact lens solution. this time I had no trouble flying from IAD but on the return from Manchester, NH, they took out both bottles of contact solution, Barnes/Hines and Clear Care. They immediately said the Clear Care could not go thru. However they tested the Clear Care and said it couldn't go thru since it had peroxide in it (which it does.) the TSA guy said if I wanted to go thru the trouble they could do a thorough luggage search and pat down and other tests on the Clear Care or I could just toss it. I chose to toss it. I think since they have begun this strip testing it changes what they allow to go through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -