HOTELS PARIS - MARAIS DISTRICT

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any recent experience of the Hotel Beauborg or any suggestions for a comfortable 3 star hotel in the Marais district that doesn't have poky rooms. We're looking at up to 120 Euros a night.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 05:29 PM

I hesitate to recommend a hotel for you cause I don't know what a "poky" room is. Don't want to mislead you by sending you to one of them there "poky" rooms.

Larry J
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 06:00 PM

I can't name a place, but I was recently doing research on hotels in the Marais because I was considering staying there, and did not find any hotel in that price range with anything but poky rooms. The Beaubourg would probably be where I might choose if I wanted to stay there, though, but I thought it was a lot more expensive than that.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 06:04 PM

As the previous poster has pointed out, in that price range you may have to settle for poky rooms.

One hotel in the Marais specifically prides itself on the fact that most of its rooms are 14 meters square. If you do a little math, that translates to roughly 12 feet by 12 feet...
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 06:46 PM

Grand Hotel Francais is a place I've stayed at a number of times that is just outside the Marais. I don't know what "pokey" is either, but the website is:

http://www.grand-hotel-francais.fr/english/accueil.html

Rates are reasonable and it's in a decent neighborhood.

Old Jun 26th, 2004, 09:31 PM

The hotel Jeanne De Arc was very nice. The staff weas very nice and the location was great. Is is located on Rue De Jannette.
Old Jun 26th, 2004, 10:04 PM
Airlawgirl

Flyboy-in order to understand what a "poky room" means, you have to wear flip-flops.

Old Jun 27th, 2004, 02:20 AM
Original Poster

For those of you who were lost in the translation of "poky" it refers to smaller than acceptable room size and is common usage down under.
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 03:14 AM
ira

>...rooms are 14 meters square. If you do a little math, that translates to roughly 12 feet by 12 feet<

Actually 14 meters square is about 45 x 45 feet.

I think you mean 14 square meters.

(Just feeling pedantic this morning)
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 05:49 AM

Hey, I'll take the 14 meters square room!

Finally, space for all my Marie Antoinette ballgowns and towering wigs with sailboats!

Stuffing the hairdresser, the maids, and the cook who travel with me into a closet each time visitors arrived has led to some dreadful rows on past journeys. Now, I can just put up a screen in one corner and they can all enjoy their own spacious pied-a-terre.

The last time I heard them scratching and scuffling about in the closet, I had to summon m_kingdom 2, who dealt quite smartly with the ingrates.
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 06:01 AM

Thanks for the "poky" definition. I'll look for a pair of flip-flops.
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 06:38 AM

Croque Madam, add to that the dog walker!

Pokey as in "Do the hokey pokey" ?
Old Jun 27th, 2004, 07:33 AM

Scarlett: the dog walker was, most unfortunately, devoured by the wretched hounds when last sequestered in the closet with them.

That is the LAST time I shall own chihuahuas!

Poodles, I've heard from a reliable source, are a far more jovial species.

Old Jun 28th, 2004, 06:39 PM

This is the type of post that wastes everyone's time. What is a pokey room?? Use English, be definitive.Fodorites want to be helpful but don't like this jibberish!!!
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 07:41 PM

N2it: I believe Jane50 subsequently explained that "pokey" is a term in "common usage down under".

There are varieties of English, you know. Even if we who don't live "down under" aren't familiar with the term itself, it was pretty easy to figure out what she was talking about.

Ridiculing people who don't speak the way you might hardly contributes to world peace or helps make people feel welcome on this website.

Why not try a little kindness or humor instead?
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 03:19 AM

a bit of a late reply--stayed at the Hotel Beauborg a year ago and I would recommend it to anyone. Rooms are a bit "pokey" but the staff was friendly, rooms clean, breakfast just right and the location can't be beat! Mere steps from the Pompideau Centre, metro stops, shopping and some of the greatest crepes stands ever! The hotel "mascot"--George, a wire-fox terrier, is there to greet you each morning for breakfast too! Definitely worth considering--for the money its a great deal!
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 03:33 AM

Price is certainly no guarantee of size. I usually stay in the P. de la Reine on the Place des Vosges and some of that place's rooms are poky, or is it "pokey"..anyway, not real BIG...so go for whatever seems to fit economically and can handle all those wigs and footmen, too.

Have a great trip.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 06:14 AM

What is the cost for a pokey Pavillon de La Reine room? I wouldn't want to pay 300 euro or so for that type of a room!
Old Aug 3rd, 2004, 11:30 AM

Whenever I visit Paris I always stay in the Marias. I think the Axial Beaubourg is a great hotel. The service is great; not to mention the location. I always ask for room number 34 (just be sure confirm the number). This is a corner room with a double bed and a decent size bathroom.
Another hotel I would recommend is the Hotel de la Brentonnerie (sp?). The rooms are slightly small but the decor is very nice.
Old Aug 4th, 2004, 01:09 AM

'Poky' is common usage in England too(well *I* use it, and no doubt I'm common, so there), but, Airlawgirl, I always thought flip-flops was an English term for what the Aussies call thongs (but both of us wear them on our feet, unlike what the English and Americans call thongs - now there's a potential source of hilarity, however big the room).

However, Scarlett, 'hokey pokey' was a sort of ice-cream or water ice that hasn't been seen in England for decades: the dance is the hokey-cokey (which would be much more fun in a poky room).

All together now:

You put your left leg in..
(or are we back to thongs and flip-flops?)

Perhaps I'd better get back to work.