Another question about Paris hotels!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know there's lots of discussion about hotels and I've read much of it. But I've never been to Paris before, so have a hard time following where some hotels are located. From my reading, I've pretty much decided I want to stay in the 6th. The Hotels d'Aubusson and Madison both look good, though they're somewhat pricier than what I'd like (d'Aubusson 260E for standard and Madison 220E for Double). Are there hotels in the same area anyone would suggest for less money, say 160-200E? Also, in your experience, how different would the hotels/rooms be at those different price levels? We'll spring for the extra $ if we have to, but I'd rather not, esp. with the Euro so strong. My priorities are a clean, comfortable room in a charming hotel, with a terrific location. My husband is quite tall, so tiny rooms are tough for him. Also, neither of us speaks more than a few words of French, so English speaking staff would be helpful. Thanks so much and sorry for another hotel post!
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 01:44 PM

I don't usually even answer posts where people are talking about 200€ a night rooms but since you said this is your first time in Paris maybe you really don't know that it is VERY easy to find what you state are your priorities -"a clean, comfortable room in a charming hotel, with a terrific location" with English speaking staff for under 100€ a night. Try Hotel St Jacques, it's in the 5th but just as good a location, I think even better than the 6th. It's a five minute walk from both the Pantheon and Notre Dame and a two minute walk from a metro stop. And there are plenty others. Try france-hotel-guide.com or 123france.com or parishotels.com

Old Aug 18th, 2004, 02:23 PM

I'd highly recommend getting a "superior" room at Hotel Regent on Dauphine, just a few doors from d'Aubusson. It should be under 200 US and is a delightful hotel, with very nice and well decorated rooms and baths. It is less "fancy" than d'Aubusson, but I'd put it on an even par with Madison or maybe even one step better. You can search here and find many recommendations for it. But be aware that when people talk about the small rooms, it is usually because they got a standard, not a superior room, all of which have two large windows, nicer baths, and roomier rooms.
While Isabel's suggestions are good budget hotels, I suspect from your post that you are looking for something nicer or a little more upscale than those.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 01:40 AM

Hi SadieM....
There is an hotel that I can advice you in the 6th...It is called the Hotel Belloy Saint Germain (www.belloy-saint-germain.com)..It's a 3 star hotel, so of course it is very clean and comfortable. its location is perfect, at a fex step from the St Germain quarter...an area you absolutely have to discover in Paris..!And as it is a 3 star hotel I guess they speak English!
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 04:02 AM

We always stay at the Hotel des Saints-Peres in the 6th. It is a small, charming, welcoming hotel. The rooms are larger than many 3* hotels in Paris and the baths are beautiful. We have reservations in early October and, if I remember correctly, the cost per night is E190. I highly recommend the hotel.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 04:09 AM
ira

Hi sadie,

You can find the location of your hotel at www.multimap.com.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, everyone! I'm going to check out all of these hotels.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 09:16 AM

Patrick posted that: "I'd highly recommend getting a "superior" room at Hotel Regent on Dauphine".....

He is spot on! I've stayed here literally dozens of times, and have never had an experience even close to "bad".....This is a great hotel for a first timer, as its close to everything, and has a very fine front desk staff..

Have fun on your trip! Best wishes, Dave
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 09:47 AM

I think it's worth finding out how long and wide the beds are. Many men over six feet are uncomfortable in the small beds provided by some Paris hotels.