Hotels near Frankfurt train station

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25th, 2003, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! Is the area around the main train station an acceptable spot to spend a day and a night prior to taking a train to Austria the next AM? If so, are there any 3-4 star hotels nearby? Many thanx.........
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 07:56 PM

I've stayed at the Frankfurt Marriott several times. It is a high rise American style hotel and not really charming. However, it is only a couple of stops on the transit from the main train station and they always have a good breakfast. I think Frankfurt gets a bum rap from Americans and I have found lots to do and see in and around Frankfurt.

(BTW - I've always had lots of marriot reward points to use.) Hope this helps.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 07:57 AM

Don't know what your budget is but we recently returned from 6 nights at the Intercontinental, a 5 minute walk from the train station. Right on the river Mein, very nice location. 160 euros per night which included an unbelievable buffet breakfast including champagne and everything you could imagine. Our best deal of the trip! Within walking of many places..Sachenhausen, Romer Platz, Grayline tour office, Palmengarten and much more.
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 08:03 AM

Generalising wildly here: the area around the train station in Frankfurt isn't the most, um, desireable place to stay. Some of the hotels are a little on the dodgy side - unless you are willing to spend a lot of money.

The S-Bahn (train) in Frankfurt is amazing - so if you find a hotel on one of the lines that goes through the main station, then that's where I'd advise. You'd only be five or ten minutes from the station, and you'd probably find a nicer hotel for a lot less money.

just my thoughts.

-- Viola
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 08:55 AM
ron

I stayed at HOTEL NATIONAL FRANKFURT, Baseler Strasse 50, a few years ago. It advertises itself as being across from the train station but is in fact about a 5 minute walk toward the river and away from the seamier stuff. It is an older building with high ceilings (converted convent or something). I had a single room and my memory is thinking that the room would have been spacious if it was turned on its side. Very comfortable and convenient 4* hotel.

Old Jul 28th, 2003, 09:09 AM

We have stayed at the Frankfurt Savoy, which is within sight of the Hauptbahnhof. Prices were reasonable and it would be hard to get any closer to the train station. The staff was very helpful. They got us into a room despite the fact that we arrived about 9am in the morning. We were exhausted after a trans-Atlantic flight and they were very accommodating.

Their English-version website is http://www.savoyhotel.de/en_content_index.htm

The neighborhood is a little seedy. In fact, my wife and I got a kick out of a sign that said "Dr Mueller's Sex Shop" about two blocks from the hotel. I mentioned this to a few people I work with and still haven't lived it down.
Old May 15th, 2005, 10:05 AM

I found a very nice small hotel near the main train station - its a family owned hotel with all comfort that you need. It was very clean and the rooms were quiet. Here you will find their website www.hotel-adler-frankfurt.de