Search

Cesky Krumlov

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2005, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cesky Krumlov

I have heard this is a beautiful town not to miss. Is it a day trip from Prague or should we be sure to stay there for a night or two? Thanks!
Old May 15th, 2005, 09:01 AM

That would depend on how much time you have in Prague, and how you feel about small towns. I did it as a day trip on a tour from Prague. If I had it to do over, I'd go on my own (public transportation rather than the tour which included the bus ride, lunch and the castle tour), but I still would probably only do a day trip, unless I had plenty of time in Prague. I had 6 days total. There is the castle and the town is nice but it's very small and doesn't take long to see.
Old May 15th, 2005, 09:14 AM

We enjoyed it and wished we had had more than our two nights. Of course, we also just enjoy ambience and not total sightseeing all the time. Plus, we were there in August when the town was jumping.
Old May 15th, 2005, 10:08 AM

I enjoyed it as a day trip from Prague and would not have wanted to devote days to it, but that really would depend on my trip plans and itinerary. I could see one overnight there if you had a car and a long vacation time and were going down that way, anyway. I could also see it if you were on a longer train trip between CR and Austria (or Poland), for example, and had plenty of free time.

It's not that big so it doesn't take long to see things there you want to, but the problem is that it is rather far from Prague, so the travel time takes up about 3 hrs each way. That's the difficult part for a day trip, not that Cesky Krumlov takes several days to see properly.
Old May 15th, 2005, 10:22 AM

We spent three days there on a self-guided trip that included 6 days in Prague, and two days in Karlovy Vary and then a day back in Prague before flying home. We took a couple of day trips out of Czesky Krumlov and so probably only spent an entire day plus two additional nights there but wouldn't trade our time there for anything. It's as delightful as all the posters here say it is. So if you have more than 4 nights in Prague, I'd say give this place another one at least. It's rewarding.