Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotels in Southern Spain - No Reservations

Aug 9th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

I will be spending about 6 to 7 days in Southern Spain. We will have a car, so I kind of want to take it as it come and plan as we go along. Is it easy to get a hotel without a reservation?

Thanks.
Aug 9th, 2011, 07:57 PM

when? August can be much more difficult.small towns easier.
Aug 9th, 2011, 11:57 PM

million dollar question. What happens if you can only find accommodation which is over your budget? What happens if you have to drive a lot more KM to find somewhere which has vacancies? What happens if you can only find a flea bitten place which is below your standards?
Aug 10th, 2011, 01:13 AM

I honestly don't believe that you'll have that much of a problem. The European economy is not too robust at the moment and hotels are not bursting at the seams. You may well be able to do a deal on walk up prices if you call in at a hotel that you fancy without booking.

We did exactly this on a driving holiday down into Italy from the UK without any bookings and got discounts even at large 4 and 5 star places through France, Switzerland and Italy. Only the very occasional place was full and they did tend to be the smaller hotels.
Aug 10th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

I will be in that part of Spain, the first week of October.
Aug 10th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Great million dollar question. I was hoping that October would be light with booking hotels on go. Definitely don't want any flea bitten places. Thanks all for your responses.
Aug 10th, 2011, 10:27 AM

I'm not surprised at being able to get a room at a 4 or 5* place. I think the bigger problem is if you are looking for a plesant 3* place - which are mor elikely to be booked in advance.

Does your budget allow for 4 and 5* hotels?
Aug 10th, 2011, 11:04 AM

I wouldn't do it regardless of the season. I have better things to do with my time than wandering around trying to find someplace to spend the night when making a reservation in advance is so much easier.

You'll also want to consider that the days are a shorter in October, so if you are planning on playing it by ear, you'll need to start looking for that hotel a little earlier in the day.
Aug 10th, 2011, 10:59 PM

I do not think you'll have problems finding accomodation. In fact, I am sure it'd be profitable to bargain at the counter.
Flea-bitten places belong to the past.
Aug 10th, 2011, 11:38 PM

For those who do not understand "flea bitten" is a figure of speech for run down.
Aug 11th, 2011, 06:45 AM

My "in between" making reservations and winging it solution:
Before I go, I check hotels at the starting point of my trip on booking.com - and then drag that map out of focus to follow my planned route.
You will see icons for rural hotels popping up sometimes just 2-5 kms off the main road - which you would not have found otherwise.
Obviously, booking.com does not list all hotels in each town, but you can see if you drive through areas/towns with a lot of hotels or not. And you get an idea how expensive the hotels are.