Search

Italy or Spain

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2012, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy or Spain

My daughter and I are planning a trip to Europe in October. We've never been to Europe. She is an adult too (late 30's). We're deciding between Italy and Spain. We love to be outdoors. We want to experience the culture, people, art, archetecture, country-side, food etc!
We want to stay in boutique-type hotels - No large chain hotels.
So I have 2 questions:
1. Spain or Italy for first trip to Europe?
2. And then where in each location?

I'm leaning toward Italy. I've read about Cinque Terre and think we would love the hiking. But also want to experience Florence. We have about 10 days - 12 includiing 2 days for travel - is it possible to do both? Open to ALL suggestions!

Thanks very much.
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 11:19 AM

I love love love Spain, but I suspect Italy might be a better choice for a first trip to Europe.
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply pegontheroad. Where in Spain would you suggest for 10 days?
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 12:01 PM

I would go to Italy for a first Europe trip. It would be tough to do both, given that you want to experience a range of things. I would definitely incorporate a combination of countryside/city. Pick the places that most interest you and just do a few. If you are interested in Cinque Terre, go there, Florence, and another place. The main thing is to look at a map and make a plan that is logical regarding travel. Once you know the cities/towns it will be easy to find hotels. You will get plenty of help here. One other piece of advice is to check the weather in the cities you want to visit. In October the weather changes a lot from the beginning of the month to the end.

I am a little less experienced with Spain, but I am going this summer and found it difficult to decide where to go because the country is so big and so you have to add in travel time.
I spent a week in Salamanca last summer, which was a beautiful town. As a tourist you would not need to stay that long. This summer we are actually going to Italy for a week and Spain for a week, but in Spain we are just staying in Catalonia - Barcelona, the Costa Brava and the Pyrenees.
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

We're not going to go to both - Just either Spain or Italy. I'm on my way to book store to get Fador's so we can decide where and pin down which part of Spain or Italy. We're good w/weather even if it gets chilly and/or rains a bit. Thank so much for your advise - can thank you enough for taking the time. If you think of anything else let me know! Best, Susan
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 02:16 PM

We have spent considerably more time in Spain, but I would go to Italy first.
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 02:28 PM

Once you get into October, the weather gets more iffy, especially in the Cinque Terre. If it rains, there's nothing to do or see there. So I'd stick more to cities with the option of making excursions in the countryside on nice days. Florence offers lots of day trips by train or bus.

Before you get ahead of yourself, how are you arriving and departing? Have you looked at flight options from your airport? For Florence you can fly into Pisa, which is an easy train ride away. Or maybe fly into Venice, spend a couple days there, then take the train to Florence and fly out of Pisa.

Likewise, if you go to Spain, where would you fly into/out of?
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 03:31 PM

Another Spain lover...but for the firs trip to Europe- Italy

I would not got to CT in Oct...
.Rome, Florence ( and some countryside in Tuscany).
Why go to a country full of wonderful art and architecture to HIKE?
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 04:57 PM

In 10 days it is absolutely not possible t oo both. In 10 days you can only begin to touch on key sights in Italy.

And if you want to be outdoors it's unlikely that you will be staying in either chain or boutique hotels - since they are found in the cities and larger, trendy towns - and it looks like you want to do a lot of countryside - although while early Oct may well be plesant by late Oct it can be getting brown and crunchy - rainy and dreary.

I think you should pick 2 centers - get a hotel in each - and then see that center and do sme day trips. If yuo want to do hiking/exploring the countryside you may well want to make one of the centers a Tuscan or Umbrian hill town - so yuo can do outdoor things on nicer days - and spend some days in Florence later.

Also - not sure how yuo want to cming hiking - with seeing great art and architecture. You will certainly do a lot of walking in Italy - since th ehill towns typically are closed to cars in the center - as is Florence - but IMHO wlaking a couple of miles in Florence isn;t ahike - even if you head to the Pitti Palace and park overlooking the city.
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 05:38 PM

We were in CT in early October and it couldn't have been a more perfect time to go. Fewer crowds and fabulous weather. Warm and sunny.
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 05:57 PM
kja

> I've read about Cinque Terre and think we would love the hiking. But also want to experience Florence. We have about 10 days - 12 includiing 2 days for travel - is it possible to do both?

(For once, a poster who isn't trying to cram too much into a trip! Kudos!)

Yes, but do take a few considerations into mind:

I visited the Cinque Terre during Oct. a few years ago, and I loved it, but the weather was precarious. Rain storms washed out some parts of the trails while I was there, and actually made part of one of my hikes quite scary. If the trails are open, I would think you could visit the 5 villages and hike the trails connecting them in 2 full days (so 2 or 3 nights); add a day if you you want to hike some of the other trails and/or want a "back-up" day if weather is bad on one of the days you are there. (For a 1st trip to Europe, I'm not sure I'd do that - just mentioning it as an option.) For a lovely B&B in Manarola, see La Toretta:

http://www.torrettas.com/

I think people on this board will give you very different opinions about how to plan time in Florence. I love art and architecture, and I thought 4.5 days there (5 nights) barely enough to see my priorities there. And I didn't even take any day trips from Florence!

So I would think you could visit the Cinque Terre and Florence quite easily. With 10 days on the ground, you could probably even add a couple of days in Venice (or...). Whether that makes sense would depend on your priorities and travel styles.

> Spain or Italy for first trip to Europe?

The good news is that you won't lose either way!

With your interests and 10 days on the ground, you would have several options. Since you articulated fairly specific interests for Italy, I'll focus on Spain. You would probably need to select 1 of 3 locations in Spain: in and around Madrid (with its wonderful museums, and the art and architecture of Toledo and Segovia, etc.) or Andalucia (with the wonderful architecture of Granada and Sevilla and Cordoba and some small museums in each) or in and around Barcelona (which I haven't visited yet). If hiking is a clear priority, check into options in Andalucia (e.g., in Los Alpujarras) or around Barcelona. (There may also be good options around Madrid, but I wasn't looking for them when I did my research.) BTW, I visited central and southern Spain in Sept/Oct; I haven't been to Barcelona yet.)

With any of these trips, you'll have options to enjoy a wonderful trip without staying in cookie-cutter hotels and eat some great meals.

Hope this helps!
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 06:10 PM

A good idea is Barcelona, Costa Brava & Pyrenees, which we did in October 2010. You can click on my name to read my trip report. The weather was perfect!!! We didn't have time to do any hiking, but with some good planning & guide books, you could do some hiking in the Pyrenees. With this itinerary, you will experience a large and amazing city, beautiful coastal scenery and the mountains, along with small villages. There is art & architecture in Barcelona, Salvador Dali's home in Port Lligat (Costa Brava), & delicious food wherever you go.