Search

Hotels in Rome & Venice

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2008, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in Rome & Venice

HI
Looking for help with hotels in Rome & Venice. Parents w/two kids in their early 20's. Looking for central location, parking, rms. large enough to accommodate all 4, possible roof terrace....at a reasonable rate. Too much too ask?
Any advise?
famoffour
Txs!
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 06:29 AM

Mauro, no ads on this forum.

famoffour, re: parking in Rome and Venice. Perhaps you need to do some more research. Venice has no streets; it's on canals. There is a parking garage at the entrance plus assorted parking spots on the mainland near Venice.

And Rome is very crowded and the driving's crazy. In neither of those places do you want a car.

If these are your only stops in Italy, consider using the train instead.

You are looking for a quad room. Or perhaps a double and a twin. What do you consider a reasonable rate?
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 06:31 AM

You would get better replies if you told us what "a reasonable rate" means to you. Also, when are you traveling as it makes a difference in hotel rates. Very few hotels in central Rome have parking and as for Venice, unless you mean gondola parking, hotels in a central location aren't going to have parking.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 06:33 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Venice: www.lacalcina.com is a lovely hotel and has a small rooftop terrace. I'm not sure if they had quad rooms, but they also have some apartments. There is a small private rooftop terrace you can reserve. You can't have a car in Venice proper, so parking is not an issue.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 07:22 AM

Yes, please tell us what is reasonable to you.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 09:46 AM

The thought of 4 adults (which is what you are talking about) sharing a room is too much for me. I started getting 2 rooms when my boys hit about 12. Just having the extra bathroom justified the extra cost!!!

In Rome, I would highly recommend the Albergo Cesari hotel. If you click on my name you can find my Italy trip report (still trying to finish it!). The Cesari is located near the Pantheon. Great location!!! We had 2 double rooms (with breakfast) for 185 euros each. Not cheap - but again - a great location. The rooms were quite spacious for European rooms.

Cannot recall the hotel we stayed at in Venice (it's late- I'll check it out) - but it was much more than we wanted to pay, but given our dates and time constraints, it's what we ended up with. Will get the details and post again!
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 10:24 AM

You really need to give a price range in order for people to be more helpful.

You should also search on Venere.com for a quad on your dates and see what comes up in your pricerange.

Rooms for 4 are not plentiful. Many hotels don't even mention they have them on their websites. If you find a hotel that looks promising, email them directly and ask how they can accommodate a family of 4.

We (asl 4 of us) stayed in a family Suite at Albergo Santa Chiara in Rome, and 1 large room at Hotel FLora in Venice. These are both 3*s and well locations.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 10:25 AM

ALso, I just want to add, no roof terrace on these. And as also mentioned, there are no cars in Venice, and in Rome there's certainly no need for a car, and driving in Rome is horrible and should be avoided.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 02:56 PM

famoffour, I have recently booked Alloggi Barbaria www.alloggibarbaria.com in Venice for our family of 4 2 adults and two daughters 18 & 16. Has good reviews on Trip Advisor and reasonably priced I thought. Only down side is a bit of a walk to the St Marks square I've been told but to me Venice looks easy to walk. We have also booked an apartment in Rome with www.sleepinitaly.com for more space.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 02:58 PM

Sorry I think my link to website is not right, what happens when I'm on Fodors at work!!! Try googling it.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 03:14 PM

The people who advised you that you don't need a car in Venice and Rome should be listened to. Most of the time your car -- if you rent one -- will sit in a parking place somewhere. That's expensive. The train will take you to each place very easily.

And if you were thinking of driving from one to the other and passing through Florence on the way, forget that, too. Traffic in Florence is insane, the old streets are very narrow and meandering, the street names change without warning, etc., and you can't even drive into the historic center without a permit.. The tickets for that violation are sent out after the fact to the owner of the car, and then passed on to you by the rental agency, and it's not cheap!! The train is best, here, too.

If you are staying 4 days in a place you can probably get an apartment for far less than the hotel costs. And have more room and a living room, as well.
www.slowtrav is the best place to look for apartment which have been reviewed by others. But also look on vrbo.com (vacation rental by owner) and search for accommodations by city.