Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to Park Car during a Weekend In Venice

May 14th, 2019, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

We are flying to Milan in September where we are planning to spend 2 o 3 days. From there we plan to go into a road trip starting with Como and then heading to Venice to spend a weekend for our 40th wedding anniversary, with probable stops in Bergamo and Verona on the way. We need to leave the car before entering Venice on Friday and recover it on Monday to continue to La Spezia where we will stay for a week in order to visit Cinque Terre and surrounding. Parking in La Spezia is already secured. And I have found a few options for parking before entering Venice, being Tronchetto the more geographically convenient, and the price looks reasonable to me. Can I get feedback from others' experience? Is it hectic to drive to Tronchetto? What about parking in Mestre? It looks like a long transfer till our hotel near Rialto, like an hour, right? Being just for 3 days I am more concerned with convenience than price. Is it time saving to park in Tronchetto? Recommendations will be very much appreciated.
May 14th, 2019, 01:17 PM

We parked in Tronchetto during a visit to Venice years ago. I've got to think it would save time over parking in Mestre, as you will then be IN Venice upon parking. I do recall being instructed to leave NOTHING in the car.

In more recent years, we've picked up rental cars at Piazzale Roma upon leaving Venice, and have had no issues with driving away from Venice; I wouldn't call it hectic at all. So I don't think you should have any difficulties getting into or out of Tronchetto. It's not like there a lot of options for where you drive, other than the via della Liberta. Look up Tronchetto and the road to/from on Google maps to see what it will look like.