Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Safe parking on the outskirts of Venice, or even in Padua, Verona, etc.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2013, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted previously on cross Alps travel in late October.
A smart and savvy member pointed out that I might not want to park my shiny brand-spanking new car that I will just have picked up in Munich, in the car parks outside Venice. Does anyone know of alternative, safe, and most likely more expensive parking near Venice?
Thank you.
Old Oct 2nd, 2013, 11:35 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
The usual place to park in Venice is the main garage at Piazzale Roma across the Grand Canal from the train station. Is this the place you've been warned to not park or somewhere else?

This site suggests parking at the airport:
http://www.visit-venice-italy.com/tr...nice-italy.htm

Another option is to stay on Lido at a hotel with parking and take the vaporetto to Venice proper.
Old Oct 2nd, 2013, 11:53 AM

How do you know this allegedly "smart and savvy member " knew his arse from his elbow when he churned out his mindless worry-warting?

Even he admitted "I worry when I leave my rental car there but have never had a problem".

So what's he (more likely "she" of course. May be male or female, but clearly 100% girlie in his or her woosiness) rabbiting on about?

I HAVE parked a BMW (like half the population of Northern Italy) in Venice's Piazzale Roma. Not a scratch.

BMW's may be exotic and poncey in the Midwest backwater where the poor girl invents her neuroses. They're ten a eurocent in the Veneto.

Put your car in the autorimesso like everyone else, and leave this nonsense about Padua for the obsessives.
Old Oct 2nd, 2013, 11:55 AM

PS I've also parked a Mercedes there. Venice's tealeaves and car-scratchers were just as underwhelmed.
Old Oct 2nd, 2013, 12:31 PM

ssalir, the previous post is shameful nonsense full of sexist, elitist, psycho-analist (and possibly some other ist's) and is totally inappropriate. You should not have been subjected to it. Most folks on these boards are kind and helpful. This person, not so much.

I get that you have a brand new car that you'd like to get home in new condition and are simply taking reasonable steps to achieve that.

I can suggest a gated car park across the street from the Venice Mestre Railway Station where you can take a bus into Venice, a 10 minute ride. I have parked there before and had no problems. It is located at Viale Stazione, 18, Mestre, Venice. I believe there is a garage structure at this location as well.

The bus stop is directly across the street.

Best of luck.
Old Oct 2nd, 2013, 12:38 PM

I have also used the Mestre car park mentioned above. It will be less than in Venice and is easy to find right across from the train station.
Old Oct 2nd, 2013, 01:01 PM

I've parked in the Mestre garage structure with no problems, but did not have a BMW. Back the car against a wall to eliminate the temptation of looking to see if anything is in the trunk.
Old Oct 2nd, 2013, 01:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't leave anything IN the trunk.