hotels in Paris and Amsterdam

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2006, 02:48 AM
cy1
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hotels in Paris and Amsterdam

Hi
I need to book 2 hotels for the above cities for the begining of Nov, 2006.
which hotel web site has the best prices?
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 03:34 AM

wouldn't necessarily use a hotel web-site. Most (ex travelocity and Orbitz) tend to market the rather large NA like hotels. Venere often has some of the smaller places. There is a site for Paris which has some lovely small places- I can't remember the name but if you google charming hotels in Paris it usually pops up. If you want to do a bit of homework either look back in the archives on the board..(be spec- ex hotel in Paris in the first for x euros a night or pose a new question but be specific. I would suggest using the board rather than a web site.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 03:40 AM

hi... how about specifying some details so you can get relevant suggestions..?

- single or double (or more?)
- price range in Euro
- any particularly important amenities

Otherwise, I like to "shop" on Parisby.com and Amsterdamby.com b/c they have lots of photos, and I crossmatch with reviews on Tripadvisor and here (Fodors), and check the location on a map (put address into www.mappy.com)...

Then I google for the hotel's own website and check there for prices and promotions. I prefer to book directly with the hotel.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 08:54 AM

It really depends on what kind of hotel you want. I don't know about Amsterdam, but in Paris, you won't find a lot of variation on hotel prices, they are pretty standard and are what they are. The exception may be large modern business/chain hotels that might have discounted rates on expedia or hotels.com or wherever.

Other than that, I have seen occasional discounts on some hotels that I could get by booking through the hotel's own website -- such as lower rate if you book 4 nights instead of 3. These are seasonally-related of course, such as in summer, and not in high season like Fall.

If you just want a hotel cheaper than "rack rate", try Priceline. For the smaller French hotels I stay at in Paris, you won't find price variations by website.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 10:24 AM

For my money, www.bookings.com has the best rates and selection of hotels in all price ranges, in just about every European city. I haven't used them for Paris yet, but for Amsterdam, Brussels and several German cities, they were excellent.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 10:25 AM

CHECK that. It's www.booking.com .... I'm sorry. Again I shot off at the keyboard without thinking.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 05:35 PM
cy1
Original Poster

thanks - you're the best !!
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 04:46 AM
begbie

hi
you could also try checking the following links :
http://destinia.com/hotels/hotels--i...urope/30056/en
http://destinia.com/hotels/hotels--i...urope/48942/en
they have a wide range of hotels to choose from so you'll be bound to find something that interests you. hope its of use to you

Old Oct 13th, 2006, 05:08 AM

For A-dam you could also use www.channels.nl which shows hotel locations and also has hotel reviews.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 06:29 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Depends what kind of place you are looking for. For nice 3-star local type hotels, I have best luck researching on websites like here on Fodor's... then I contact the hotel directly and book with the front desk. I prefer this method to using a "middle-man" kind of website.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 06:31 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I stayed at Hotel Kap in Amsterdam and Dacia Luxembourg in Paris. They were good locations and adequate hotels. As above, I booked them direct.