Two-country Itinerary Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been working on a trip to Europe for November. I know, not the best time to go. Unfortunately, it's now or not for a long time more than likely. My original itinerary went like this:
Fly into Paris
3 nights in Paris
3 nights in the Koblenz area of Germany
1 night in Brussels/Brugge
1 night in Amsterdam
Fly home from Amsterdam

After more tweaking, it seems that a two-country itinerary may be better. I have the span of about 9 days to work with over the Thanksgiving holiday. I really like the idea of doing the Romantic Road. I also like the idea of staying at Schoneberg Castle. We'd love to see Switzerland but I understand it's likely to be damp and foggy there. We'd love to see Austria but that's too far east for this trip I think. We'd love to see some of the beautiful countryside and chateaux of France (although hubby is a little concerned about the French hating us Americans), but won't have time to go too far south or west. We're very interested in architecture, some art, culture, quaint cobblestone villages and old-world charm. Looking for suggestions for a good fluid itinerary of great scenery. We're fine with a jam-packed itinerary - we'd like to see as much as we can in the time we have. We do not want to do any back-tracking in the interest of time, so we plan to do a one-way rental car from airport to airport more than likely. As for airports, we can do any one that Icelandair services that time of the year - we've been mainly looking at Amsterdam, Paris, Frankfurt, and Zurich. We're also open to guided tour suggestions. No modern-feel cities full of high-rises and no chain hotels. Other than that, we welcome any thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks!
Old Oct 10th, 2006, 05:14 AM

ttt
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 04:53 PM

I was in Switzerland in June, and I loved it! Laussane, Bern, Zermatt and Chur were lovely small cities. The Interlocken area was also very nice, the trains to the Jungfrau was an especially fun day trip. Didn't really care for Zurich too much. The rail system is so efficient and timely that we really weren't more that a few hours from any Swiss desitnation. The Glacier Express was another great day trip. It begins in Zermatt at the base of the Matterhorn and ends in St. Moritz.

We found the Swiss people to be so friendly and welcoming. English is spoken throughout the country, and we never felt uneasy about not knowing our way around. Everyone we met was willing to help.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 03:45 AM

For about the bazillionth time, the French do not hate Americans.

1 night isn't enough for Amsterdam, espec. since you'd be travelling about 3.5 hours from Brussels to get there.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 04:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The French do not hate americans and are far to nice to say if they do. What the French appreciate is a small amount of French when you greet them. So grab the books and get the top 50 words down pat. In Paris the waiters are inherently rude to everyone who is in any way imperfect in their french so don't take it personally. In the smaller cities they are more charming so if it is unacceptable don't go to paris

Don't go to Frankfurt city. Zurich is a bit like a chocolate box and not for me. Koblenz, well for me i would need friends to go there for 3 days. (Three!)

Paris, Amsterdam ok. But even paris is big city. Try Brugges or Luxemburg or Trier or....

Don't be surprised if you find the Dutch speaking better English than you do. No seriously listen carefully I have English friends who would be embarrased if they could hear it.

Try a smaller city which has not been bombed flat and has some history. Eg Trier over 2000 years old, anywhere in France that was in Vichy during the war etc

For the best chateau look at the moselle Germany or the Loire.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 05:37 AM
ira

Hi F,

>I have the span of about 9 days to work with over the Thanksgiving holiday.<

That's a good span of time for one (1) country.

I would go to Paris and stay there.

Old Oct 13th, 2006, 07:05 AM

Consider Basel, Switzerland. If you like art, the museums and their collections are not huge but they are first class, especially Foundation Beyeler. A 30 minute bus ride will take you into Germany to the Vitra museum and factory where four of the buildings are designed by leading modern architects and you can tour them. The city is absolutely charming and the trams are easy to use. It is a picturesque and friendly place.