A weekend alone in Paris

Search

A weekend alone in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A weekend alone in Paris

Hi, my name is Katie and I'll be studying abroad in Lugano, Switzerland this summer. I'm planning on taking a train to Paris for a weekend, but I'll be going alone, I don't speak French, and I've never been there before. Is there anything I should absolutely know ahead of time? I would especially like to know of a safe and reputable youth hostel to stay in. I plan on visiting the Louvre, the Eiffel Tower, Montmarte, Notre Dame, and possibly Versailles, if it's accessible from where I'm staying.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 02:58 AM
ira

Hi K,

Lucky you.

>I don't speak French, and I've never been there before. Is there anything I should absolutely know ahead of time? <

No is "non".

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jun 17th, 2007, 04:02 AM

I haven't stayed in a hostel for many years so can't help you there. You might want to check the lonely planet Thorn Tree Forum. I think you'd find more people who would be familiar with the different options

I would not go to Versailles with only a week end in Paris. You will have more than enough to do exploring the areas you mention. You should also plan to spend some time wandering on the Left Bank

Although you don't speak French, I assume you will have a French phrase book with you (would also be useful in Switzerland) They really help when you don't speak the language.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 04:20 AM

I speak about 4 words in French...with a Deep South USA accent...and I had absolutely no problems in Paris last year. I encountered only one person who didn't speak English...an elderly shopkeeper, who was quickly joined by her employee who greeted me in English better than my own. I found the Parisians to be some of the nicest people I have ever met.

One very helpful piece of advice I received on this board is to greet people in French before asking whether they speak English...especially in shops.

Have a great time!
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 04:25 AM

On the language issue: it's not a problem if you don't speak French; it is a problem if you don't deal appropriately with people. In particular, do not initiate transactions in English.

I am sure that you can manage "Bonjour Monsieur/Madame". Use it; it is expected. Then you may ask "Do you speak English?" ("Parlez-vous anglais?" is better). Then you are on a roll -- even if people do not speak English, chances are that they will try to help you. Smiles and gestures are very useful.

Have fun!
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 04:37 AM

buy a ticket for one of the tour buses and go on that first with a map - anything you see from the window that looks interesting mark it on your map to go back later.

Old Jun 17th, 2007, 04:43 AM

Nice hostel with an unbeatable location : the MIJE : http://www.mije.com/
(they are not the cheapest ones but...)
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 04:55 AM

Accomodation :

http://www.paris35.com/

Tourism :

http://www.paris.world-guides.com/

http://www.zpinaddict.com/parishtm/parismn.htm

Buy a good map of Paris and use the Metro for getting around which is cheap and easy to use (set price in Paris. More to go outside). Buy a number of tickets to save queuing up continuously.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 05:15 AM

Besides Good morning and Do you speak English?, put these in your backpack ...

S'il vous plait: please

Merci: Thank you

There are many, many Parisians who do not speak English, and starting forth without those few words is worse than having no Euros in your pocket.

Paris is great and Parisians can be lovely = though sometimes in the middle of summer some of them naturally get a bit tired of tourists.

Even if you find yourself a foot-tourist, sticking mostly to the true center of things on either bank of the Seine, you will find a beautiful, seductive city. You'll find yourself immediately planning your next visit, so don't worry about seeing it all.

Bon voyage !
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Gia

Hi Katie
Try the crepes from the street vendors. Nutella & banana is my favorite. mmmmmmm... And in case you find yourself out very late, remember that the trains stop running at 1AM (I think that's the time). All I know is they don't run all night and my first time in Paris, my husband and I got stranded on the other side of the city from our hotel in the rain!
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 06:54 AM
GBC

Hi Katie,
With a weekend, even a long one, I would omit Versailles. There are too many great things to do right in the city.
As noted above, provided you are polite you will have very little difficulty with the language. Just learn a few basic words of friendship and courtesy.

I can't help with hostels, but if you decide to check budget hotels, the Rick Steves Guide, or this website may be helpful to you; www.eurocheapo.com.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 06:53 PM

Hello..I took a Rick Steves tour of Paris in April and loved it. People are friendly, weather was gorgeous, lots to see. I didn't speak French either but it's still good for you and the French people if you know a little before you go! Like how to say thank you and goodbye or good afternoon. Get a tape or a book or even pick up a Rick Steves book for more info. There are lots of ideas in it. People there are very nice and no need to worry too much! There are however gypsies hanging around the Eiffel tower and other ouristy spots (Montmarte especially) who will ask for money or try to divert your attention.
Just be smart and know where you are going. The Rue Cler is a great street market to be in the morning. My hotel was called the Hotel du Londres Eiffel. It's about a block from the Eiffel Tower. The Rue Cler and many other shops and restaurants are all nearby,easy to get to the metro too.
Take the night cruise on the Seine!
Go to Versailles or the Louvre. Enjoy!
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 08:08 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Paris is an easy city to see the major sights/sites. Just get a good street map. For savvy hostel information go to The Thorn Tree on lonelyplanet.com website.

When you look at a Paris map, go for a central arrondisements, say 4-7 are central and easier than staying on the outskirts (even if it is cheaper) imo.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 08:11 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Not speaking French was not a problem for me. The Metro intimidated me (personal opinion) and I mostly walked everywhere. Don't miss the gardens, Luxenbourg, the Tuileries, etc.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 06:11 AM

Our favorite museum was the Musee D'Orsay. We found it helpful to buy a museum pass as we were able to bypass the lines. We bought the pass at a less popular museum (Napoleon's Tomb), where there was no line and were then able to speed into other museums. Not sure if it's a good idea based on what you want to see, but maybe worth looking into...

My first visit, I took the train from London one morning, stayed overnight and returned the London the next day. Alone. Speaking no French. I had no problems and was surprised what a wonderful time I had in Paris. Have fun!