Search

Hotels in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2014, 12:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in Paris

Hello!

My husband and I are planning a trip to Paris from Dec 29 - Jan 2/3.
After reading several forums, I undestand the 3rd, 4th, and 5th arr. are preferred.
We enjoy trying different restaurants, going shopping, seeing the ET & Champs-Elysees etc.
Considering the above, along with budget, these hotels are the ones I have narrowed down to:
1- Best Western Villa Des Artistes
2- Mercure Paris Opéra Garnier
3- Crowne Plaza Paris Republique
4- Hotel Berne Opera

Which one would you recommend? We prefer a modern look. If there are other hotels nearby that are better, please advise!

Concerning NYE, I have read that the ET area does not have anything special and that the Champs-Elysees would have some celebration. What's the best way to spend NYE as a couple visiting Paris for the first time?

Thanks!!
Old Nov 17th, 2014, 04:26 AM

Of the hotels you listed, I'd choose either the Crowne Plaza (Place Republique) or the Best Western (Blvd Montparnasse). Those two locations are in neighborhoods where there's a good mix of restaurants, residential areas, and shopping. The other two hotels you listed are in the area between the big department stores and Gare St Lazare -- not at all a bad area, but much less interesting (esp for a 1st-timer).
Old Nov 17th, 2014, 05:59 AM

Lucky you to be visiting Paris for the first time on New Years Eve!! We loved the Hotel les Jardins du Luxembourg, tucked down an alley a short block from the Luxembourg Gardens and its convenient metros and walking, where we viewed top of the Eiffel out our top floor huge window. Not sure it'll fit your budget. By the way, in Europe, we have stayed (particularly in Switzerland) at some franchised Best Westerns, and were very pleased. Did it for ease of reservation & points, they are privately owned and fit the bill (which runs very high in Switz).
Old Nov 17th, 2014, 06:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A "modern look"???? What does that mean exactly? I have stayed opposite the opera (house) and other than the proximity of some of the larger department stores and an absolute crush of travelers I am not sure I would pick that neighborhood to stay in again. The fact that it is "preferred" is irrelevant but for a first-timer I understand why you would latch onto that as a discriminator.

The Republique area offers many more Metro transport options IMO.
Old Nov 17th, 2014, 06:48 AM

As far as the best way to spend NYE, that depends completely on you, are you into clubs, jazz, quiet dinners, the list is endless. What do you like to do.

We spent it having dinner, and the rest of the evening walking along the Seine enjoying the light show of the Eiffel Tower from the bridges, and being part of the happy, celebrating crowds. Stopping somewhere for a libation. Nothing fancy, but a cherished memory from a wonderful city.
Old Nov 17th, 2014, 11:09 AM

Not sure if you are aware that there are no fireworks on NYE in Paris...

But if you plan to be wandering around with the crowds on the Champs-Elysees, or want to be near the Eiffel Tower late in the evening, you should realize that you will probably have to walk back to wherever you are staying. Public transportation is free that evening, but it is a nightmare, and there won't be very many taxis. I would keep that in mind.

Normally, I would also have suggested the Crowne Plaza at Republique, but not if you plan on doing anything "downtown" on NYE. Also, there is currently scaffolding and a lot of construction on one side of this building - so you might ask about that, if you do decide to stay there.

If you want to be able to walk around to most of the tourist sights, the Hotel Mercure Opera Garnier would be the best choice. I don't know anything else about that hotel, though. Otherwise, for the best neighborhood, I would choose the Crowne Plaza. The other two are just not as practical, IMHO.
Old Nov 17th, 2014, 11:30 AM

We spent NYE in Paris a while back. Most restaurants have a special (more pricey) set menus so you may want to reserve one of those.