Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Best Paris Hotel location...Champs Elysees???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am interested in staying in a very central location within walking distance of great sites. My travel agent keeps giving me 5-star options (which I want) in the Champs Elysees area but what I read about it, people say it is a very commercial area filled with run of the mill shops...not where I want to be..any comments??
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 02:09 PM

From the sound of it... "My travel agent keeps giving me 5-star options"... you can affort to stay around Place Vendome. There's the Ritz and a great new Westin, the Intercontinental among many others. I think Hotel Crillon (sp?) and Henry V are not as optimally located as around Place Vendome. I wouldn't stay around the Champs Elysees because of the reasons you mentioned heretofore.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 02:25 PM

I think the most expensive hotels are based on being in the most expensive areas -- not necessarily the best for tourism. Perhaps this is because the wealthier people who stay there are not so concerned about being able to walk around the corner for dinner or to see the sights. In fact, usually they will take a taxi or limo to whereever they are going, so the location is more based on being near the most "exclusive" not necessarily the "best" area for other reasons.
This is true in many cities. In Rome, many of the most expensive hotels are in the Via Veneto area, an area I wouldn't care to stay in, because it is generally a taxi ride away from anywhere I would want to go. The same is true in Paris. Champs Elysees is an area, I stayed in my first time in Paris (purely from my own ignorance, I'll admit) but wouldn't care to stay in again.

I think you'll also have to explain what you mean by "great sites". If you mean the Louvre, Notre Dame, Eifel Tower, etc. The hotels in the Champs Elysee area are not very centrally located. If you mean a couple of famous cafes and Arc di Triomphe, then yes, maybe they are.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 02:37 PM

The bad news is that the "great sites" in Paris are all over the city, not in one area. Check out a map and look at the locations of the Eiffel Tower, the Musee d'Orsay, the Louvre, and the Place de Vosges, just to name a few.

The good news is that the Metro is very efficient and easy to use. Better to be concerned about staying near a "good" Metro station (i.e., convenient for several lines and changes).

I think you will find the areas most popular with fodors posters are St. Germain, the Marais, and the Rue Cler area.

This website will give you a description of each of the arrondisements and perhaps help you to decide the best place for you.

http://gofrance.about.com/gi/dynamic...Fparismap.html
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 02:41 PM

I find the Champs area boring also the Via Veneto area if in Rome..you can find wonderful hotels in more interesting areas ..try the Aubusson, or if you insist on the right bank the LAncaster, or de la Reine on the Pl de Vosges.

Your TA is thinking in the BOX!
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 05:33 PM

Agree with all other posters. Not only the champs elysees is a commercial area laccking charm, but also, it's not centraly located. I wouldn't want to stay there.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 05:35 PM

The Champs Elysees area offers some neat people watching and the grand Arc de Triomphe is there, but it's mostly lined with big American chain stores and overpriced, mediocre restaurants. To savor Paris, definitely stay somewhere else, such as Quartier Latin, the Marais, Canal St. Martin, Montparnasse or areas of the 16th away from the Champs Elysees.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 06:32 PM

There aren't really that many 5* hotels in Paris so the list won't be long to consider (they are really 4*L officially). Almost all are on the Right Bank. I think the ones around Place Vendome would be a good location, also, better than the others around the Arc. There are plenty of chic designer shops and haute couture around those, however, just not right on the Champs-Elysees, but they are in that area (ave Montaigne and George V, rue Francois Premier, around there--that's where Dior, Escada, Prada, Versace, Yves St LAurent, Balenciaga, and on and on et al. are). That is a fairly central location, so if you want to shop in those kinds of shops, there will not be a problem.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 09:14 PM

Agree with those recommending against Champs Elysee. Key your location to a Metro stop. Stayed at the Intercontinental and found it quite good, although many blocks from the Louvre and the Seine (it is across the street from the Palais Garnier and the Palais Garnier Metro station).

If you are going in August, be sure to confirm adequate A/C. Last three summers -- particularly last summer -- have been quite hot.

Agree with Marilyn -- great sites are all over the city. Key is Metro.

Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 12:42 AM

Another vote for the Place Vendome. Beautiful, very smart address. The Ritz is a classic there. I also like the Costes, in the Faubourg St Honore (just around the corner). But where I really want to stay next time in Paris is the Park Hyatt, also near Vendome.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 03:03 AM

I totally agree with above posters; Champs Elysees area is glitzy and not central.
If you want charm and luxury and a homey feeling, have a look at
www.relais-christine.com

We stayed there in november and loved it.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 03:06 AM

Forgot to mention in above post about Relais Christine, it's within walking distance to Orsay and Louvres, minutes to the Seine and access to Pont Neuf....

I don't think any area of Paris gives you easy access to everything; good walking shoes and a few cab rides take care of that.