Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Yes, yet another question on hotels in Paris!

Old Apr 8th, 2003, 12:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, this is the last one on hotels in PAris from me - I promise.

It seems that after my worries about not getting a place to stay, I've now been offered a few places (probably something to do with the fact that I moved my budget up a bit!). And of course, because I don't know Paris at all, I haven't got a clue where to stay (this never happened me in Germany, I always had an instinct about places there! Anyway...)

So these are the hotels I've been offered. Just so you know, I'm travelling alone, I'm in my 20s. I like there to a bit of life around the place, but I wouldn't consider myself a party animal. I'll be doing the museums/parks/churches thing really, with a little bit of posing and writing my life-story in cafes!!

Hotel Kensington in the 7th
Hotel du Parc in the 14th
Hotel du Champ du Mars.

Any ideas/comments? I really need to get this sorted today.

Thanks in advance.

-- Viola
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 12:56 AM
AllyPally

Absolutely stay in the 7th, would be my advice. Eiffel Tower in your backyard and right next to the 6th, my favourite arrondissement. This part of Paris is magical. I got up early one morning to meet my father (who was staying in another hotel) and walked to the Eiffel Tower from the 6th. The air was clear, streets were empty. This area has life but is safe, refinded and truly wonderful!

Old Apr 8th, 2003, 12:57 AM

Morning Viola,

So happy to hear that you're ready to book and were offered some other places with availabilites to choose from.

While I would choose Montparnasse, I am pretty sure, most fodorites will suggest you stay at the Champs de Mars, second choice the Kensington.

Personally, I find the 7th over all less convenient to get around by public transportation. Also, it's a bit too quiet for me. But that's just me and I love the Montparnasse area for different reasons (lively, less touristy, great restaurants).

But now, please book asap, and don't wait any longer!

Have a blast in Paris!
I must wait until the end of May.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 05:32 AM

Hi
Where in the 14th is the hotel du Parc?
do you have an address?
The "northern border" of the 14th is quite convenient, but as you go south and west of the Denfert Rochereau metro stop I don't recommend it as convenient.
I stayed in the latter area on my very first trip to Paris, and I felt that I was in an out-of-the way location.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 05:39 AM

The Hotel Kensington, on Ave de la Bourdonnais, has clean but very small rooms (even by Paris hotel standards). It's about a 3-minute walk to the Ecole Militaire metro stop. You are more likely to find a room available there than at the Champ du Mars, which is in many budget hotel guidebooks, and also has a slightly better location. At the Kensington, if you have an upper floor, street view room, you might have a very nice view of the Eiffel Tower.
I like the 7th very much and don't find it that touristy, esp when compared to the 6th or the Marais. It is an upscale residential neighborhood.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

The Hotel du Parc is on Rue Jolivet. I'm not sure where in the 14th it is - although I'm going to try to find it on a map when I get a moment.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 05:42 AM

Elaine,

The Du Parc** is off Rue de la Gaite, close to Edgar Quinet stop. Lively and safe area.
It's not that easy to find budget places for beginning May and that one doesn't look to bad.
www.hotelduparc-paris.com
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 05:46 AM

that's a good location indeed.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

I have offers from both the Hotel Kensington and the Champ du Mars. Prices are the same (at least for the larger room in the Kensington). So now I think I have to choose between them. Think I might just have to flip a coin!
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 06:57 AM

Definitely Hotel Champ de Mars, very popular, very nice...if you can get in, take it. Very near Metro Ecole Militaire, rue Cler (market street), lots of cafes,restaurants. Somewhere I saw a journal where writer stayed at Kensington and it didn't look nearly as nice as Champ de Mars.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 11:34 AM

BTilke is spot on on the Kensington. I stayed there last week.

I might add a few other positive items: there is a nearby minimarket; they were easy to work with by email; the desk staff were quite helpful.

Keith
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 11:50 AM

Viola, I don't think you can make a mistake with any of these choices -- you've got some of the Fodor groups best contributers providing feedback! Have a terrific trip.
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 12:41 PM

Champ du Mars. I've stayed there about a dozen times. Metro is close, rue Cler is 100' away, post office is close, supermarkets close, laundromat, etc etc. Will be there myself next month. Ask for room 505 for a top half view of the Eiffel Tower. (Sorry that's as good as it gets from this building)

Have a great time and wear a money belt on the Metro.
Larry J
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 01:33 AM

Stayed at Champ du Mars for two months last fall-absolutely the best bang for your buck (Euro) comfort and a great location. Take my word!
Enjoy Paris,
Francois