Search

Recommendation on Hotels/Apts in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommendation on Hotels/Apts in Paris

Hello All,

My wife and myself are planning a trip to Paris for 4 days towards the end of May. Further it is our 5th wedding anniversary. I do understand Paris is quite expensive so I need some help on a place to stay.

Here are my key requirements
- Creature comforts in terms of our own bathroom.
- Walking distance to the major sights.
- Reasonably romantic..
- Hopefully about $200/night for 4 nights should net us something. Obviously I don't mind paying lower .

Please share your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks,
Gov
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 10:53 AM

There is no "walking distance to the major sights" (unless you have time to kill), because they're rather spread out. It takes an hour plus to walk from the Arc de Triomphe to the Louvre, for example.

At the very least, you should plan on taking public transit to an area (such as the Invalides/Eiffel Tower or Marais) and then walking around within it. We use the buses extensively, if only to save a fifteen-minute walk. It adds up.

If you can forego this requirement, $200 will buy a lot - we stay in a suite 16 minutes south of Notre Dame by (the PEPE) train for $135.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Hello Robe,

Ok let me rephrase my request. I want a place reasonably centrally located and accessible via public transport in a few stops. What areas would be ideal to stay in and any suggestions? What is the suite you stay in ?

Gov
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 12:15 PM

Hi govardha,
If you search on this site "Paris Hotels" you will get an enoumous amount of threads. As a starting point, consider the 1,4,5,6, and 7th arrondissements. The Metro and bus system is superb, you will never be very far (time wise) from the major sites, Each arrondisements will have it's quaint cafes, parks, patisseries, restos, so you will be walking distance to those. As Robespierre pointed out, even though on a map the major sites may seem close, walking and exploring from one end to another can easily fill up your days. You will find many hotels matching your needs in the above locations, personally I like the St Germain/Latin Quarter areas (5/6th arr.)
Hope this gets you started.
Mike
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 12:17 PM

Hotel Saint Jacques in the Latin Quarter
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 01:15 PM

Robespierre stays in a town outside of Paris that is on the RER-B line.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 01:19 PM

I don't usually stay in that area so don't have the best suggestions for "romantic" hotels, but can tell you that it's very feasible to get a hotel in central Paris for $200 with your own bathroom. Paris isn't that expensive--maybe in comparison to a midwestern US city or something, but not in comparison to large US cities or other European capitals.

That's about 160 euro. I think people like Hotel des Saints Peres or Aubusson or Relais St Germain on the Left Bank, but not sure how they rank on that price scale for feasibility. YOu can try the Hotel des Grandes Ecoles in the Latin Qtr, it is def. in your price range and romantic if you like flowery wallpaper and stuff. It's a good location. It would be within walking distance of the Seine and Notre Dame and it's near a metro stop.

Here's one link

http://www.hotel-grandes-ecoles.com/
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Neopolitan

I'd also like to say that thinking Paris is "quite expensive" particularly in the hotel costs. For what you'd pay for a mediocre room in New York you can have a suite in a palace hotel in Paris!

My suggestion keeping it around $200 is a deluxe or superior room at LeRegent. Nice, colorful well-decorated rooms, excellent baths, super location, and air conditioning as well as double windows for noise.

But if you're talking about the end of next month, you'd better get a move on finding a nice hotel.

http://tinyurl.com/kpvb5

Old Apr 11th, 2006, 02:51 PM

Antony is 6 stops from St-Michel Notre-Dame, as you can see on this map (PEPE skips 6 stations): http://tinyurl.com/g4a5p

http://www.hotel-alixia.com/hten/Page1.html