Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Paris (2 full days)? Help me get started!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got done booking our London hotel and that took a lot of time bc I needed message board help in knowing what areas to look for a hotel in etc. Next up is Paris. We will be there for 2 nights. Have never been. Plan to do Aifel Tower, Notre Dame, St. Chapelle, etc. Married 20 something couple who would like to be in walking distance to restaurants and nightlife and on a budget of $200 per night.

Can't limit my search yet bc search engines on sites such as Expedia give you options about locations such as "Louvre, L'Opera, St. Germain" etc. I have no idea where to look!

I thought I saw on here a week or so ago someone saying something like stay between 7 - 11 district but I don't know what that means relating to an address (and they actually spelled it all out with an example address). So, if someone could help or recommend areas please tell me --

why those areas and what the correct search words to use!
Old May 17th, 2010, 12:21 PM

I think they may have said 4-7th arrondissement. The address would end with Paris 75004,75005, 75006, 75007. They are the sections with the most tiurist sites and also good transport, cafes, etc. Personally I find the 7th rather quiet!
Old May 17th, 2010, 12:37 PM

Paris has districts just like London and a lot of cities do. It's just a part of the city. Someone probably did say 7-11, but others would say 4-7 and others would say 1-8 and others would say 11-18 (me). So it doesn't matter what others want, you have to decide where you want to stay. Look at a map, a good guidebook will show you where things are, like the center of the city, attractions, etc.

If you don't want to bother doing that, if you haven't been there before, 4-7 would be a safe bet that you won't hate it.
Old May 17th, 2010, 12:52 PM

We usually stay in the 5th at Hotel St Jacques http://www.paris-hotel-stjacques.com/ It is usually about 125 euros a night. Its walking distance to notre dame and the seine.

Another good bet is Hotel Bonaparte www.hotelbonaparte.fr in the 6th. I think it was 135 euros including breakfast.

Both are close to transit and central.
Old May 17th, 2010, 02:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
First get a good map of Paris.

Then for a first visit to Paris, I would choose to be as close to the Seine as possible.

The perfect location would be in the St. Germain (the 6th) area on the left bank or posssibly the Marais(the 4th) on the right bank. Most of all the things you will want to see in that short time will be near.

Find Notre Dame on your map and look in the areas closeby. The Bonaparte mentioned above is in an excellent location.

The Eiffel Tower is easy to get to from Notre Dame by boat, Metro,or a somewhat long walk (we have walked several times). But again for a first visit I'd stay closer to Notre Dame. The Metro is easy to use, but if you stay near Notre Dame, you will be able to easily walk to most attractions, plus to me, the Seine in that area is the "heart" of the city.

Check out www.tripadvisor.com for hotels and reviews of those hotels.

Hope this helped.
Old May 17th, 2010, 03:38 PM

We like the Hotel Le Regent, 61 Rue Dauphine in the 6th.
Old May 18th, 2010, 07:13 AM

Try this little penthouse apartment if you are not totally committed to a hotel stay, we are staying in August and the owners have been so helpful and accomodating. Works out cheaper than hotel, quiet neighborhood (little Tokyo) blocks from Louvre, no noisy guests, rooftop patio wih stunning views.
http://www.parisapartmentvacation.co...use_studio.htm
Old May 18th, 2010, 07:33 AM
tod

Hi PS, I saw this hotel and thought it got good reviews - it's in a very nice area and pretty close to the Seine by foot - also right next to the beautiful Jardin Luxembourg:
http://tinyurl.com/y9z36nv

I also recommend this hotel, right ourside the doors of Notre Dame - we enjoyed our stay there:
http://www.hotel-hospitel.com/ang/contacts.htm

Lastly, we have booked this hotel in the 7th close to the Eiffel Tower: http://tinyurl.com/yc3vucp
Old May 18th, 2010, 08:04 AM

I echo TPAYT's advice. Although we have tried different Paris neighborhoods in what has been almost 20 trips to Paris, and although we have certainly enjoyed the varied experiences in each one, for first-timers (and especially first-timers with short stays), I always advise them to stay as close to Notre Dame as possible. They can walk at will, and the RER/Metro lines on either side of the Seine can whisk one anywhere within minutes.

Those of my friends who listened (I can't do anything about friends who are determined to stay ON the Champs Elysee even though I explain why that probably wouldn't be their ideal first experience) usually reported very positive experiences about their overall stay in Paris, even if they didn't particularly like the hotel they chose, because once they stepped out the door, the Paris they had sought was there for the taking.

For actual hotels, do a search here for the "Paris Hotels Left Bank Thread". Many regulars have been contributing their experiences.

And a word to the wise--we did not visit the Eiffel Tower until our third trip. My sister, equally enchanted with the city, did not see it until her FIFTH trip. Don't get me wrong--we love visiting the Eiffel Tower. What I'm staying is that you don't have to rush around with a site checklist to experience this unique city. Plan "cafe plopping" time, and you'll do very well.
Old May 18th, 2010, 09:03 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
http://www.regent-paris-hotel.com/en...-hotel-01.html

IMO,smrt2's suggestion of the above looks like a perfect location and just a tad above your budget.

Since we stay in an apt. I don't have many hotel suggestions except way over your budget. Apt's are a wonderful way to stay in Paris,but for a first timer I'd still suggest a hotel and apt's usually won't rent for a short 2 night stay.

I have to agree with AlessandraZoe about the "Champs"----way too commercial and huge. That was one of our disappointments in Paris. But I don't agree about the Eiffel Tower. IMO,You should see it, but we prefer it at night. The lines are shorter and it's stunning with the lights.

As far as the Louvre goes, great courtyard, but we didn't go in until our 3rd visit. The lines are just too long and it's huge and overwhelming---you need a lot of time. For a first visit if you want a museum, I'd see D'Orsay instead. Or for an even shorter time period, I'd see Place Vosges and the small Carnavalet museum(free) in the Marais. Place Vosges and Luxemborg Gardens were 2 of our favorite "first time in Paris" locations.

Another don't miss is a Seine cruise (again we prefer it at night). There's a site for Vedettes at the Pont Neuf which we've taken several times. You can use the coupon for a discout at any time. I'll look it up and post it.
Old May 18th, 2010, 09:43 AM

JADE123, thanks for the link to this booking site. The Hotel Ares Eiffel is in the perfct location for me. We used to stay at the Patis Hilton (which, alas in no more) so I've been watching for a reasonable replacement in the neighborhood.
Old May 20th, 2010, 05:40 AM
ira

Hi PS,

In Paris, we always stay at the Hotel Bonaparte, 61 Rue Bonaparte in the 6th. From 138E dbl w/bkfst. It is just around the corner from Place St. Sulpice, near 3 metro stops and 4 bus routes. Has AC and an elevator.

The staff speaks English well, and is very helpful. The front desk is staffed 24/7

They can arrange a shuttle pickup to/from CDG for you.

Tel 33 1 43 26 97 37
FAX 33 1 46 33 57 67
[email protected]
www.hotelbonaparte.fr

For more info, enter "Hotel Bonaparte" in the "search the forum" box.

Enjoy your visit.

Old May 20th, 2010, 07:53 AM

Ile St. Louis is connected to Ile de la Cite (Notre Dame) and is a smaller island , with nice shops, restos and quieter at night. Look at hotel Lutece, Deux-Iles and others.
Old May 26th, 2010, 01:35 AM

A friend of mine stayed at the hotel Elysa Luxembourg for its first time in Paris. It is located in the 5th arrondissement, that is to say near Saint Michel, Notre Dame, Latin Quarter. There are many restaurants in this area.

http://www.paris-elysaluxembourg.com

Enjoy!