Hotels in Montpellier

Old Oct 6th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in Montpellier

We're staying two nights in Montpellier. We've looked at the Holiday Inn which seems to be well located, Le Jardin de Sens which is a little more out of the city center and Chateau de Bionne which seems even further out. Anyone stayed at any of these before? Any other advice?
Thanks.
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 08:13 PM
DAX

We've always stayed at the Sofitel in Montpellier because it has the best room quality and most convenient location. There is also a cheaper Ibis hotel in the same location nearby but with lesser room quality.
I would consider the newer Mercure hotel before the Holiday Inn which is south of Place du Comedie.
Le Jardin de Sens is well known for its Michelin starred restaurant but not for accomodation. It's definitely too far from downtown.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 06:28 AM

We stayed at the Hotelformule1.com in Montpelier. there are 3 hotels in the area. It is a bit out from the beach, bath and toilet down the hall, but for 32E per room which sleeps 3, it was worth the 15 minute drive to the beach for us.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 09:59 AM

I stayed at the Royal Hotel a couple years ago and really liked it a lot.

http://www.royalhotelmontpellier.com

The location cannot be beat, it is between the train station and place de la Comedie, so you can walk most anywhere you want to go, probably, in Montepellier (it is right near the tram line, also), and it is only about a block and a bit from the train station. I arrived by train, so just walked to the hotel, and I left by car which I rented at the train station.

The rooms were nice, also, and both the room and bathroom were huge. I think I had a superior double, but the rates are very reasonable (100 euro or a bit less). I think that it is right near a Holiday Inn which you might be thinking of. Depends what level hotel you are seeking, the Royal is an average 3*, but nice for that.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 10:26 AM

I stayed at the Holiday Inn a few years ago and liked it - good location and they gave us a junior suite which was a very nice room.
I also like the location of the Sofitel and the Ibis near the Place de la Comédie. We stayed in the Ibis last year. The Ibis room was really dreary, though; I think the Sofitel would be nicer.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 11:39 AM

This has been 2 years ago but we stayed 3 nights at New Hotel du Midi. It is just at the pedestrian square. Please see Trip Advisor for many reviews.
We loved it and the location at the "Egg". We took the tram or walked 10 minutes to train. Last day, our cab was able to pick us up within one block.
If you are driving, you need to find out about parking. It wasn't a factor for us but I read that the underground parking could be inconvenient. Other Fodorites???
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 11:47 AM

ps-We ate breakfast at nearby cafes for way less than cost at the hotel.