Hotels in Hamburg and Luebeck

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After lots of research, just considering Madison Hotel in Hamburg and either the Radisson SAS or the IBIS in Luebeck.
Any experiences of either please??
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 11:05 AM

tripadvisor.com
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 11:23 AM

Luebeck is a great little town. I can't personally help you with hotel recommendations, which I believe is what you are looking for, but don't miss a meal at this place: http://www.schiffergesellschaft.de/html/english.html
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 01:51 PM

My wife and I stayed at the IBIS in Lübeck back in 2003. The hotel was pretty basic, but new and clean. I imagine the Radisson is in a different (nicer) class. The location also isn't great as it's a good 10-15 min walk to the Holsteintor (gate leading into the old city) along not quaint steets. (In the evening, they felt somewhat deserted.) IIRC, the Radisson was right at the Holsteintor. I would suggest staying closer/in the old city if possible. (We made last minute plans and there was limited availability elsewhere for what we wanted to pay.)

We really enjoyed Lübeck (be sure to visit the Neideregger museum above the cafe) and I hope you have a good trip as well.
Paul
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 10:47 PM
hsv

Regarding the <b>Madison</b>:

Living in the city, I haven't stayed there - but I like its location. Quiet, but within easy walking distance of the port, the newly developping district of HafenCity, and city centre.
It enjoys a perfectly good reputation and a former colleague of mine used to stay in one of their appartments for a few months and was delighted. Guests enjoy privileges at the neighbouring outfit of Club Meridian, one of the more refined chains of fitness and wellness clubs in the city. It is managed by the mother in law of German Steak House King Eugen Block, who also runs the Grand Elysee Hotel in Hamburg (which gets good reviews, too). Overall, the Madison should provide a pleasantly casual and slightly upscale accommodation.

Regarding <b>hotels in Luebeck</b>:

I am not familiar with the <b>Ibis</b>, but then I cannot imagine to ever recommend an Ibis Hotel unless one has a very limited budget.

The <b>RadissonSAS</b> is right across from Old Town, seperated from it only by the (small) River Trave. There is a nearby pedestrian bridge at the concert hall and thus its location is quite good. In general it's quite hard to find accommodation within the limits of Old Town proper, I believe.
The Radisson SAS is a red brick building dating back to the 1990ies, I think and looks like an adequate three star. Do not expect too much character in the hotel, it appears to be a bit on the corporate side, but I am sure that it would be reasonable.
There is the <b>Moevenpick Hotel Lysia</b> across the street, which is an older property, but from driving by last week, I would think it has been renovated. Might be worth looking into, too. Although it, too, would be a bit corporate in style.