Nice hotel in Nurenberg (sp)

Jan 8th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Nice hotel in Nurenberg (sp)

We have never really found a hotel in Nurenberg that we really liked. Would like something in the center of town somewhat near the cathedral. Do not want a big modern hotel but would prefer an old style hotel with class. Amenities (pool, spa, room service etc.) not necessary but we would like nice rooms. Price range is open but we don't want to spend our whole budget on one hotel. Any suggestions. Thank you,
Jan 9th, 2008, 03:08 AM

Nuremberg doesn't have a cathedral, so which city are we talking about?
Jan 9th, 2008, 10:00 AM

Quokka: shame on you. They asked a simple question; you could have given a reasonable answer instead of displaying your Catholic bigotry.

Kathy and Rick: What she is referring to is that, according to the narrow definition of the Catholic church, a cathedral has to be the principal church in a bishop's see. Because Nürnberg is a mostly Protestant city, there is no see or cathedral. But, an equally valid definition is any large, important church. There are several of these important landmark churches in Nürnberg.

Between the Bahnhof and the river is possibly the biggest church in Nürnberg, St. Lorenz Evangälische (Lutheran) Kirche. Across the river, adjacent to the Hauptmarkt, the venue of the Christmas market and location of the famous fountain, is a large catholic church, Frauenkirche.

I assume you want to be here, near the Hauptmarkt. That's going to require some digging to find a hotel near there.

Go to www.nuernberg.de. It can be switched to English and it has a listing by price of hotels, with addresses. There is also a city map with a street search function, so you might be able to find something. I've been to Nürnberg, but never spent the night, so I can't make a suggestion, but maybe someone else can help.
Jan 9th, 2008, 10:35 AM

Our experience is that Nuremberg just doesn't have a truly top quality hotel. The Meridien is probably the best of the bunch. We usually stay in the Maritim, which is a perfectly decent business class hotel, although there's certainly no "wow" factor about the rooms and its emphasis is practical, not style (this is the hotel I've used when staying on Siemens' dime). The hotel is across the street from the old town and is a short walk from the train station.

Suggest you look into the Meridien. As it's part of the Starwood group, if you have enough points with them, those points could cut the cost of your stay. I know your price range is open but do you have a target amount in mind?
Jan 9th, 2008, 10:51 AM

Kathy:

I have been in the Nurnberg several times as I worked for Siemens. The hotel which is just adjacent to the Old City and the Hauptbhanhof is Le Meridien Grand Hotel Nurnberg. I enjoyed staying there as it is a renovated 1800 or so hotel. I believe it is part of the Sheraton chain. The staff was polite and the price was reasonable for what you get. I also will go in May and that is where I am staying.

I am sure why someone commented that there is no Cathedral but there are at least three old Churches in the confines of the old city. One of the churches is still under reformation from the bombing of WW2 and you walk around you can see various renderings of the reformations at different point of time. If you want a true Cathedral you might have to go to Cologne where the Dom is located.

Three things I would recommend is the Castle, the old churches, the underground tunnels Raught Beer & the Nurnberg Sausages. You have to try at least two Rauchbier before you tolerate the taste as it is smoked and quite unique. It comes from Bamberg (http://www.beerguide.de/bamberg/bamberg.htm ) which is also a lovely city near Nurnberg which there is a Cathedral.

As for Nurnberg area Hotels and you do not mine a 20 minute local train ride there is always is Erlangen or Fürth. You can take a local, directly to the Hauptbhanhof (Central Train Station) in Nurnberg. I would not miss an opportunity to see Bamberg!

Willem46
Jan 9th, 2008, 12:33 PM

The rauchbier we had in Nuremberg was our favorite of the beers we had in Germany. Absolutely delicious.

For hotels - we have only stayed at the Romantik Hotel am Josephsplatz, which we liked very much. I don't know if it fits your criteria since "class" and "nice" are subjective, of course, but you might look it up online to see.

The hotel is in 3 historic buildings (all conected) about a 5 minute walk from the market area and Frauenkirche. It is about 10 minute walk from the train station.

We had a room on the 3rd floor (4th US) that overlooked the street. Our room was spacious with a nice sitting area. The bathroom was also quite large.
Jan 9th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

I am looking to be close to the Christmas market which is held in front of some kind of church. Thank you,
Jan 9th, 2008, 09:48 PM

The Christmas market is held in the Hauptmarkt, which is in front of Frauenkirche, the primary Catholic church in Nürnberg.
Jan 10th, 2008, 04:25 AM

Kathy:
I did notice before that you wanted to the Christmas Market. In my travels I have been at the market during the Christmas Season several times. Each time it got more crowded and two commercialized. In my view it had lost its charm.

In my travels I have visited Christmas Markets in Heidelberg, Leipzig, Frankfurt, Berlin, etc. My favorites were Leipzig & Heidelberg, but the most famous and talked about is the Nuremberg. Bamberg or Wurzburg is also very nice Make sir you try the Gluvine.