Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Hotels in Rida: Radisson SAS or Islande
Notices

Hotels in Rida: Radisson SAS or Islande

Nov 16th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Hotels in Rida: Radisson SAS or Islande

Did anybody stay at one of those hotels recently? I will have to go to Riga in December, no need to sightseeing, weather should be far from great, so looking for a place where I could spend most of the time indoors. Both of those have fitness centers, spa, swimming pool, but the feedback on Radisson is very mix, seems it is not up to usual Radisson SAS standards. Islande has no feedback.
Any personal experiences?
Thank you
Nov 16th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

It is Riga, of course. Sorry for the typo, all Latvians out there
Nov 16th, 2008, 07:03 PM

I haven't been in Riga since 2006 and usually stay at the Bergs Hotel.

Both of these are on the "new" Pardaugava side of the river, but I would give extra points to the SAS location - easier to walk over the bridge there into the heart of the lovely Old Town with its walking streets, stores, restaurants and night life. Islande is closer to the convention center (if you'll attend something there) - otherwise the Kipsala location is farther away from the action in the Old Town.
Nov 17th, 2008, 01:23 AM

I was in Riga a couple of months ago staying in the Konventa Seta hotel in the old town,nice enough place but not what you are looking for I think.
I was however in the Reval Hotel a couple of times for drinks and I think this might suit you,have a look at the website.it is close to the center and over looks the Freedom Monument,the old town is easily walkable.they have a very nice Skybar with great views over the city.
http://www.revalhotels.com/en/Hotels...-Hotel-Latvija
Nov 18th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

I know that I am being repetitious, but cannot pass a chance to mention that Reval Latvija refused to honor my prepaid reservation. Did it in a sneaky way too: first I was told while checking-in that they didn't need the voucher and then at the check-out claiming that they didn't have a contract with that company. Btw, two pertaining comments here:
1. The reservation was made through Hotel-Board.com, the first time I tried them. They claim that the contract party if Tourico Holidays.
2. The card issuing bank refused to support the dispute because I did stay at the hotel, so the services were provided - still trying to get the higher hotel charge refunded.
Just an FYI and the reason I'm skipping Latvija for now.

Search this Thread