Search

Hamburg Lodging

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2005, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hamburg Lodging

A previous post of mine mentioned that I was having trouble securing accomodations in Hamburg for next summer due to World Cup. I have been able to find availability at Le Royal Meridian, Hotel Prem and Bottcheroff. Please provide your opinion of these three hotels. Also, if there are any bed and breakfasts that you would recommend. Thanks! Feel free to email me at [email protected].
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 10:32 AM
hsv

Three good hotels.
The Le Royal Meridien is a brand new 5* property located near the Alster Lake and seperated from it by a busy street. They have very modern "ArtTech" rooms that usually get great reviews.
The Prem is just a few steps down the road. It is an old hotel with lots of charms frequented by singers at the local Opera House. I would think it rates as a 3.5*.
The Boettcherhof is a good hotel, but located in a terrible industrial neighbourhood. Nothing around it and the surroundings that are there aren't even quite safe. I would not recommend staying there.
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

I have just been notified by Hotel Prem that they have changed ownership and are subsequently canceling my reservation for 18.06.06 - 20.06.06 so I am back to square one. Any more recommendations this late in the game (no pun intended)? Any intel on where the US National Team is staying in Hamburg?
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Any knowledge of Das Weisse Hotel an der Elbchaussee?
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 11:15 PM
hsv

The US National Team is staying at the Park Hyatt on Moenckebergstr., which BTW is an excellent hotel with a very nice Spa in the basement.

Living in the city I have no experience with Das Weisse Hotel. I know its location, though. It is close to the River Elbe (might even have a view). Its location isn't excatly central, though. You would be dependent on taking a bus in order to get into the city center (or you could possibly walk about 10 min. to a ferry stop which would be time consuming, as you would have to change ships once in order to get to Landungsbruecken in the center of town.
I don't want to berate the hotel nor do it any injustice, but I remember that there was some trouble about its opening. If I am not mistaken this originally was to be operated as a retirement home. It quickly became apparent that they would not be able to generate the occupancy that would have been necessary and it was converted into a hotel. Need not be bad - it's just the bit of publicity hotels usually are not too keen to have, I guess.

The range of hotels you originally indicated varies quite a bit - between three and five star. If you care to elaborate a little on what you are looking for and what your budget is, I can try to add some recommendations.
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

An ideal situation would be something that is convenient to the train station (we'll be arriving from Frankfurt) and the sights of Hamburg and accessible to the Hamburg Stadium. We're probably interested in the 4-star range, somewhere around €200. I found the Dorint Sofitel for €205 and Hotel Elysee for €234. Thanks for your help!
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 09:08 AM
hsv

The Dorint Sofitel is a modern design property - very minimalist. Not much to look at from the outside (used to be the former Post Headquarters of Hamburg), but inside is nice if you like that style. It borders a "Fleet", a canal that is connected to the River Elbe and therefore has tides. Its location is right behind City Hall and as such very good - only steps to upscale shopping.
From Central Station you would reach this by changing trains to the S 1 Line in the direction of Altona. Get off at the next stop (Jungfernstieg) and take the stairs up at the head of the train. Make it right to the surface and turn left behind City Hall. The hotel will be to your right after about 350 yards. A taxi would be quite cheap from Central Station, too.

The Elysee is a large hotel privately owned by Hamburg's Steak House King Eugen Block. It is located in a nice inner city residential neighbourhood and only about 250 yards from Dammtor station (the train from Frankfurt should stop there - it is one stop after Central Station). The location is pretty and is also convenient to access the shopping areas in downtown, but taking a bus for two stops from Dammtor might be more convenient.
The Elysee has one of the best occupancy records in Germany, so it must have some quality (especially as they never discount their rates). It's casual upscale (think Marriott). Currently they are expanding considerably but I think they should be done by the start of the World Cup. The new section should be fairly nice and probably a bit more upscale (although they decided to not install bathtubs, but showers only in their bathrooms as they claimed most travellers only cared for showers nowadays...not sure if this holds true).
I don't think you'd go wrong with either place.

Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks HSV. Once again, you are most helpful. I have found yet one more accomodation at Aussen Alster for 170 including breakfast. I think we might like the relaxing atmosphere of the lake and the ability to bike into town.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 07:36 AM
hsv

I am not familiar with the Aussen Alster. It looks nice on the web.

That said, it is in a small street of the St. Georg district. This is sort of mixed ground: Hamburg's gay scene gathers there and as such manages to revive an otherwise pretty complicated and troubled neighbourhood. St. Georg is seperated by Lange Reihe St. Everything West of Lange Reihe and Lange Reihe itself are nice and to some extent colourful - the Eastern areas upt to Steindamm are a no-go IMHO. Many dope pushers, cheap prostitution etc.. The Aussen Alster is West, so it's fine at that.
However, there is an extremely busy street seperating it from the Alster Lake. If you want to bike into the center, you'd have to follow the footpath along that street.

If you want some calm, green and proximity to the Alster Lake, you'd be much better off with the Elysee. It is just a 5 minutes stroll from the Alster Shore and it's on the Western shore, which is far more scenic, laid back etc. Yet it is just as close to shopping (if not closer than the Aussen Alster) and also within walking distance of a couple of restaurants! I'd suggest you opt for that if you are willing to pay the difference.

From your choice so far and given your interests, I'd opt for the Elysee first, then the Sofitel and rank the Aussen Alster last.
Old Feb 6th, 2006, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Confirmed the Elysee today. Thanks again!
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 11:45 AM

Is this still alive?
I've tried booking the Elysee for May but they are full. So they referred me to the Radisson SAS. Any opinions? It's the neighborhood we are interested in as we're visiting someone. Is the Radisson okay?
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 12:26 AM
hsv

I'd look elesewhere. It's a huge concrete monster adjacent to the congress center. Looks a bit like a cash cow to me.
In the area is the Intercontinental, which isn't much to look at either,but has a brilliant location just by the Alster Lake. It's a 20 min. walk to the city center, though (you can take busses or a boat, too).
Another option in the rough direction might be the SIDE Hotel. A modern minimalist design hotel right in the city center, near the opera. Might be worth a look.
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 10:15 PM

HSV,

you seem to massively knowledgeable. What are your thoughts on the Hotel Medina? How does it compare to East Hotel?
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 10:15 PM

Oops, I mean Hotel WEDINA
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 12:29 AM
hsv

alibi,

I responded on your thread re designer hotels, which you can access by clicking on your screen name.
Old Mar 18th, 2006, 05:55 PM

In Hamburg, I'd highly recommend the Hotel Abtei. It's a quaint, upscale designer type hotel with a great restaurant. Easy access to public transportation and a short ride into the town. Our friends from Germany stayed downtown at one of the upscale hotels, but joined us for dinner. Once they saw our hotel, they said they were booking there for a nice weekend.
Old Mar 19th, 2006, 05:29 AM
hsv

Lori,

Quite a good recommendation, I should think! A completely different suggestion from design options, but really classy. And a nice residential neighbourhood, too.