Hotels for a family of 4 in Italy

Aug 26th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

Hotels for a family of 4 in Italy

Generally, we like to stay in the big chain business hotels because the room sizes are bigger. My kids are 9 and 5yo but we can still fit in a room with a king sized bed in these business hotels. And of course, if there is a free rollaway we take it.

I've noticed though that most Rome hotels have a max occupancy for 3 - except for those with quad rooms but the business hotels I'm looking at (Westin, ICT and Eden etc...) don't have availability for 4. Are they very strict about this policy? Should I be looking at the smaller hotels that offer quad rooms? I've noticed though that those quad rooms are still smaller than the rooms offered at the hotels I've mentioned, save for the luxury types which I don't have points/membership on to help to lower the cost for us.
Aug 26th, 2010, 08:50 PM

If the hotel room has a maximum occupancy of 3 then that is how many people can stay in the room. You cannot add a 4th person unless you have made prior arrangements with the hotel, but usually the occupancy is restricted to the number of people stated.

How do you know what size the rooms are (that quad rooms are smaller than other rooms). I've never seen a room size on any web site; only the number of people/beds available in the room.
Aug 26th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

Most chain and luxury hotels provide room description including room size and std amenities. For the smaller hotels, I've inquired on some.
Aug 26th, 2010, 09:32 PM

Thanks.
Aug 27th, 2010, 03:54 AM

Try the Grand Hotel delle Minerve in Rome. A lovely hotel and they do offer suites and larger rooms.
Aug 27th, 2010, 04:35 AM

Speaking specifically of Marriott and Hilton brand hotels (which you don't list but I would consider big chain business hotels), if they have two double/queen bed options, email them to find out for sure.

I have two kids and I can give you several examples where the online reservation system will not allow you to put more than 2 or 3 in the number of guests section, but will actually allow two adults and two children. In these cases it does not have anything to do with the fire code and everything to do with restricting the number of adults per room.

In Italy you must surrender all passports upon checkin, so sneaking in an extra person is a very bad idea (not that you suggested you were).

I find in Europe that the best chain options for 4 include Holiday Inn Express, Novotel and Suitehotel(Accor brand hotels), and Marriott. Hilton less so, but it is still possible. (Not familiar with Starwood.) When you find one you like, send them an email to verify if 2 adults/2 kids are allowed.
Aug 27th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I shall email them regarding this because I've never had problems before. But then of course most of our hotel stays were in Asia. Europe hotels can be quite small. In Paris years ago, they only allowed us if we got a junior suite. At the moment, I'm looking at Park Hyatt Milan- has 2 twins joined as king but only allow 2 max a room. I'm looking at Westin Excelsior in Rome but the website only asks for the number of adults - and max 3 allowed.
Aug 27th, 2010, 06:06 AM

Two years ago, the Hilton and Courtyard (Marriott) in Venice allowed us 4 in a regular room. The Courtyard Venice even states on their hotel front page that two adults and two children under 13 are allowed in one room, but you cannot enter 4 in the reservations page.

In Milan we stayed at a Holiday Inn Express near the airport the first night as we were arriving quite late. I would say Holiday Inn Express tend to be more convenient when travelling by car. We have used them in several countries in Europe.

I have not yet made it to Rome, so I can't help you there. If you don't mind, post where you do wind up staying as I may look it up for when we do go.
Aug 27th, 2010, 06:52 AM

In Rome, friends with two children have stayed in the suites at this hotel. I've stayed in the regular double rooms and can recommend the hotel both for location and for service:

http://www.albergodelsenato.it/rooms.htm
Aug 27th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ekscrunchy. That's actually one of the hotels I checked first. I remembered that it was one of the more popular hotels in Rome in tripadvisor when we last went 4 years ago. Sadly, no availailability for the dates I've requested. Also, the website states that occupancy for the rooms (even the largest suite) only allow for 3 max and for some odd reason the child's age selection is only up to 4yo. So I guess, it does pay to check with the hotel directly if travelling with 2 children.

Poutine,so far, I've looked at dela Torre Argentina and Santa Chiara as they all have quads. Hubby and I stayed at dela Torre Argentina and it was in a very good location. Our room was big and had that rooftop balcony - not much of a view though. I don't know if quads are on the higher floor to get that rooftop view. Santa Chiara is even closer to the Pantheon. Ciao Bambino (the website) has a listing of hotels with family rooms. The luxury ones are way above my budget. Most of them are closer to the Spanish Steps like Westin is. Actually, I prefer the Pantheon area but I can get Westin for almost the same price as dela Torre and Chiara so I'm still debating.
Aug 27th, 2010, 07:53 AM

I have stayed at Park Hyatt Milan and those rooms are indeed not appropriate for 4 - but what a FABULOUS hotel experience!

Very common to have 2 twins joined as king in Europe. At the 5 star Minerve we had two full double beds in one of the rooms.
Aug 27th, 2010, 08:01 AM

hi zizz,

you don't say how long you are staying, but if it's 3 nights or longer, an apartment may be a better option.

by the sound of it you'd be happy with a one bedroom, which would compare very favourably with the cost of a hotel room for 4.
Aug 27th, 2010, 02:58 PM

In Rome, the Fontanella Borghese and its sister hotel the Due Torri have quad rooms. Both hotels are located in the historical center. The FB is about halfway between the Spanish Steps and Piazza Navona, and the DT is a few short blocks closer to Navona.

http://www.fontanellaborghese.com/home_ing.html

http://www.hotelduetorriroma.com/home_ing.html