Hotels in Italy for a family of 4

Old Oct 31st, 2010, 09:51 AM
mrt
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in Italy for a family of 4

I notice that most of the hotels in Italy have only a double or two twin beds. My family of 4 (two adults and two teens) will need two doubles (or queeens). Does anyone know of a travel site that lists rooms for 4. We are going to Rome, Venice, Lake Como region, Florence/Tuscany. Does anyone know of any 3-5 star hotels in these raeas that have two double or queen beds.
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 09:57 AM

Many hotels have quad rooms, but the beds might be a double and two singles instead of two doubles.

Go to www.venere.com and enter 4 guests in 1 room to find them.
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 09:57 AM

You might find yourself doing much better money-saving and time-saving wise if you book two double rooms in bed&breakfasts. You will get twin beds or double beds per your request, plus two bathrooms, which will mean you get out the door sooner in the morning. You can find beautiful, clean and gracious accommodations in the b&b category, many located inside historic buildings but with all the mod-cons (air conditioning, newly renovated bath, shower etc).
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 10:17 AM

A family room - or a double double - will definitely be more expensive than a regular room. And if you look at this be sure to mention it is for 4 adults, not 2 adults and 2 small children (some family rooms have smaller beds for children).

If it were me I would get 2 rooms - so you have 2 baths and are not packed together 24/7. (We always get a separate room for my stepdaughters - partly because there was no way I was going to share a bath with 2 teen/tween girls - who took HOURS to get out the door.)
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 10:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The Fontanella Borghese in Rome has at least one quad room, but I don't know the configuration of the room or number of beds. You'd need to email the hotel with your questions. www.fontanellaborghese.com

Have you considered apartments?
Old Nov 1st, 2010, 06:58 AM

Agree with Jean - try an apartment. There are many sites these days which offer either agency-run or properties managed by their owners and they generally accommodate more people such as your family and less expensively. If you're not into cooking while on holiday, many apts are conveniently located in neighborhoods with restaurants and markets for fresh fruit or wine.

For starters, try: Papavero Rentals, slowtrav, Italy Perfect, Roman Reference, VRBO.com and Owner's Direct. Try Tuscany Now if you want more of a villa with pool experience.

Have fun!
Old Nov 1st, 2010, 07:47 AM

Years back, we stayed in a family suite at Santa Chiara in Rome (a 2 room suite), a quad in Hotel Casci in Florence (1 large room), and a quad in Hotel Flora in Venice (1 large room with 1 1/2 baths). We were pleased with all of them, all good locations, all with good breakfast included. The room at Hotel Flora is typically a triple that they add a bed to if a quad is requested.

Many of the booking sites don't list the quad or family suites, because many hotels only have 1 or 2 such rooms. Even the hotels' own websites don't always list them. If you see a hotel that interests you, email them directly and ask what kind of accommodations they have for 4.

Back when we booked our trip (in '01), I had to do that. My kids also don't like sharing a bed so I was specifically looking for configurations with 2 twin beds.
Old Nov 1st, 2010, 09:10 AM
mms

In Rome, we stayed at Hotel Miami and had 2 twin beds and a queen. The queen was in almost a separate room, although there was no door. We had plenty of room to spread out and the bathroom was quite large.
Old Nov 1st, 2010, 11:29 AM

You've already gotten a ton of great advice on the kinds of places to look for, and what sites you might use.

In Florence last year, we stayed at a wonderful B&B, Casa dei Tintori, http://www.casadeitintori.it/en/. It was in a central location, the hosts were fabulous, as were the breakfasts, and the rooms lovely. It was DH and me and our 10yo DD, so their room for 3 or 4 worked fine. But the two twin beds were actually foldout beds, and would NOT be suitable, IMHO, for adult-sized people. But two double rooms here would be a great experience.
Old Nov 1st, 2010, 12:58 PM

We also stayed at Casa Tintori, with our two teenage daughters. The "Green Room" is large and well set up for patents and two teens. The two twin beds are on a raised level and screened from the large double bed, so you each have a bit of privacy. There is only one bathroom, however.
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 01:55 PM

We stayed in a quad room at Arco del Lauro B&B in Rome - LOVED IT!!! It was a very large room with a queen bed and two twins, lots of storage space, nice bathroom. Gets fabulous revies on tripadvisor.