Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is the best way to travel from Innsbruck to Budapest

Aug 27th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

I will be travelling from Innsbruck to Budapest and want to know what is the best way to do that, by bus, train, private car or plane? How long would it take to get there. I understand it is about 360 miles away from each other.

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Aug 27th, 2010, 02:56 PM

INS-BUD does require one stop, usually in Vienna. Not that easy getting cheap tickets.
Driving is fast and easy 100km average per hour or more. Train takes 8 to 9 hours.
Aug 27th, 2010, 03:00 PM

The shortest is by plane (with one transfer in Vienna) for appr €300 one-way in 2.5hrs. Check Austrian.com for air fares (or any reseller website).

Train takes bit more than 8hrs, but is actually easy (just one transfer in Salzburg). From Salzburg to Budapest you can travel with the railjet, the most modern/comfortable train of Austrian Rail. check oebb.at for fares and timetables.

I wouldn't know if the are bus connections.

If private car means rental car then you should check how much of an extra fee you pay for drop-off in another country.
Aug 27th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Wow I was hoping for a high speed train. 8 to 9 hours is too long. Renting a car sounds like an idea or maybe a bus.
Aug 27th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the good info. I would imagine a car rental dropping off in another country may be pricey. A plane may be the way to go. I thought it was going to be easier and faster but that is why I asked the experts...You people & thanks again.