Hotel Verneuil vs. Madison vs. Deux Iles

Feb 18th, 2004, 07:20 PM
serenahr

Hotel Verneuil vs. Madison vs. Deux Iles

Hello, I am torn between the Hotel Verneuil and Hotel Madison near St. Germaine and Hotel Deux Iles on the Iles St. Louis for a weekend in Paris in May with my husband (standard rooms). Any input would be greatly appreciated. -Serena

Feb 18th, 2004, 07:51 PM

Just answered a post with the same topic title.
Feb 18th, 2004, 08:01 PM
serenahr

Sorry, I know. It's the first time I did this and I though the 1st post didn't go through. -SR I

Feb 18th, 2004, 08:40 PM

I have just stayed at Hotel Verneuil and I really enjoyed my stay there. I know the Hotel Le Madison's location and it's great, right on Blvd. St. Germain plus everyone who's stayed there liked it alot. I'm sure the rooms are much larger than the Verneuil's. However, since, I've stayed at Verneuil I'll let you know that the standard double rooms are tiny. But the bathrooms are very modern and with marble; the hairdryer is not the vacuum nozzle type-it's a powerful hairdryer. The decor is also nice. And the staff is very personable.
I walked by the Hotel des Deux Iles and its location on the island is good. I believe the rooms there are small, that's all I know. But people say they like the hotel alot.
I guess I'm partial and I'd suggest Verneuil but not if you like good-sized rooms, then go with Madison. Verneuil's location is on a quiet side street off of rue des Sts. Peres so it's in St. Germain, one half block from rue Jacob.
Feb 18th, 2004, 10:19 PM

We just returned from a first trip to Paris and stayed at the Madison. We stayed in a standard room and were very happy with our choice. Sorry that I can't comment on the others. Pros of the Madison are it's location,atmosphere, and good continental breakfast that was includeded in our rate. Con was the courtyard view which was not attractive at all. Of course, this was not a problem for us since we were out and about and the room itself was quite lovely. We also had a very noisy neighbor one night who blared his televison at 3am and the management took care of it right away. Good luck with your choice. Enjoy your trip to Paris!
Feb 19th, 2004, 05:29 AM

Personally, I would love to stay on the Ile St. Louis! I guess you just have to decide what is most important to you: room size, view, amenities, location, included breakfast etc.
Feb 19th, 2004, 07:36 AM

Verneuil is a sister hotel with very similar style and cost to Hotel Therese where I did stay - has great location near Palais Royale. As Francophile experienced rooms are tight, but deluxe rooms are better. I have stayed at 4 hotels in past year and if Verneuil is as comparable as it looks to Therese then it is good value for money.
Feb 19th, 2004, 08:38 AM

By the way, the Verneuil has an elevator. However, the elevator is on the 1st floor, and not on the ground floor. So you must carry your luggage up one flight of stairs to the elevator. Just fyi in case this may be a problem for you.
Feb 19th, 2004, 08:43 AM

Just to repeat that the Verneuil has some of the smallest rooms we've had in Paris. Cute, but teeny - the sort of rooms where one person has to lie on the bed whilst the other goes into the loo.
Feb 19th, 2004, 08:56 AM

We like the Madison. (I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, I guess.)
Feb 19th, 2004, 09:16 AM
serenahr

Thank you very much for all this input. I am starting to think that as charming as they sound, both the Deux Iles and Verneuil may be too small as we will be at the end of a cruise and will have plenty of luggage. I think we will go with the Madison, although I wonder if booking the standard room deal where they assign whatever is available will also result in a teeny space. For one weekend though we will be out and about most of the time. -Serena

Feb 19th, 2004, 09:34 AM

serenahr,
Like Underhill, I'm beginning to sound like a broken record for le Madison. I think even the standard courtyard view rooms there will be larger than a standard at the Verneuil. The Verneuil's decor is lovely, the staff very nice, the location in the antique district of the 7th at the edge of the 6th is quiet and upscale, but the regular doubles there are miniscule in size. We once stayed in a petite room at the Bellechasse in the 7th while friends stayed at the Verneuil, and our teeny room was actually larger than theirs because it did have room for a desk and side chair, although our friends had a very large bath. If there's not a great difference in price, you'd have more space at le Madison plus the metro at your doorstep, an ATM next door and the lively cafes of the Place St. Germain for great people watching, not to mention the terrific window shopping. Plus le Madison includes in the room rate an American style breakfast (even eggs & bacon).
Feb 19th, 2004, 10:49 AM

Actually my room at the Verneuil had space for a desk and a chair in one corner of the room next to the window. But other than that there was a luggage table. There was room to walk about but not much as the room was small. For one person like myself it's great but for two people it'll be a bit cramped. I think if my husband were with me we'd have reserved a deluxe double instead. By the way, room 302 at the Verneuil is a dlx. dbl. and I understand it's their largest room-with a small walkout balcony. It's difficult to reserve that room for some reason. But the dlx. double room my relative had was roomy and had a nice canopied bed plus nice decor so can't go wrong with any room. Original beams are still visible in all rooms (including the bathroom) too.
Breakfast is too expensive at 12 euro for a buffet continental breakfast.
So I'd say you'd be best off at the Madison in terms of space and their huge breakfast that's inclusive.
Feb 19th, 2004, 11:17 AM
serenahr

Thank you! I am waiting to hear back from the Madison -- they appear to have rooms for our dates. -Serena