Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Madison Hotel vs. Hotel saint Germain des Pres - Help us decide

Old Nov 29th, 2003, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the fifth and last reservation decision we have to make for our trip in July. We are trying to decide between these two hotels. The rates we were quoted are just about the same.

The Madison is 154 euros through Utell's run of the house rate - not sure exactly what we will get except that it will be a standard double without breakfast - room assigned upon arrival. We do not know the room sizes although we have read on Fodors that the Madison rooms are more spacious than most other Paris standard sized rooms. Utell agent for Madison explained that when we check in we will get the best room available in the category we have purchased. There is another thread here on this type of room rate and there are various interpretations of the run of the house rate.

The Hotel Saint Germain des Pres rate is 150 euros for a standard double room (size is between 15 and 18 square meters) with breakfast. Although we got the rate through Parisby.com, we are communicationg with a reservation agent at the Hotel Saint Germain des Pres. He has said that he himself (we had a communication glitch and he was very apologetic) will assure us the largest room in the category we have purchased.

Would like to reserve an attractive, updated, clean, larger room rather than a room which is smaller or in need of updating. We would like a good location. The inclusion of breakfast is not important. If you have stayed at either one or both of these hotels, could you please give us some advice which would help us make our decision?

Thank you.
Old Nov 29th, 2003, 01:44 PM

I thought you'd gotten some favorable responses about the Madison a few days ago already.

I haven't stayed at either hotel so I am not sure if you'd want my opinion. But I'll let you know anyway. I think that either the Madison or the Hotel St. Germain des Pres is a very nice hotel. I have stayed around the corner from the Hotel St. Germain des Pres so I know that the area is very nice and quiet. That hotel is down the street from Laduree. And the hotel itself may not have large rooms but it they are very nice anyway. The Madison, as you know, has gotten many great praises here and elsewhere.

If you are using Utell to book a room at the Madison then you know you may get whatever room is available upon check-in so you'll have to take your chances. Otherwise, book directly with the Madison to specify the room you want. If you mean you are booking directly with Hotel St.Germain des Pres and the reservationist promised you a specific room, then that is what you want, isn't it? I really don't get what you are looking for as there is nothing as a perfect hotel. I have never read that any of the rooms in either of these two hotels are in need of updating nor not clean. I highly believe that whichever hotel you do choose, the room will be clean and well-maintained.
Old Nov 29th, 2003, 03:55 PM

We have always stayed in the St. Germain area and love it. However, our usual hotel has become run-down and the last time in Paris we looked around at other options, including the Madison but not your other one.

I don't think you can beat it for location--right on Blvd. Saint Germain and with a metro stop right next to it, steps away from the famous cafes (if that interst you), one of the oldest churches in Paris, and great food in any direction.

My guess is that the "special rate" rooms in any hotel are maybe going to be the smaller AND (noisier) street-side ones. You can generally avoid problems by asking to see several rooms to choose from when you register. Most times they are very different from one another and you are happy with your choice. They in turn don't find you difficult for having refused the first room and insisted on seeing a better one.

Since it is July, I would definitely want to consider who has air conditioning and who is on the busiest street. French hotels are well known for their "low-functioning" air conditioning units which sometimes necessitate leaving the windowns open for air at night. You might search and see if this has come up on previous threads with either of these hotels.
Old Nov 29th, 2003, 04:10 PM

Marianna,
I definately think you should stay at le Madison, I've stayed there several times and love it. The hotel is charming while maintaining very high standards(similar to most Americans expectations).
The hotel is air conditioned which is manditory in July, and the location is top knotch.I have always received outstanding service at this hotel, and have recommended it to several friends.

If you have any further questions please feel free to email me directly at [email protected]
You can also do a search by typing in le madison hotel, and read many of the positive posts on this board( including several of mine).
Viva la France
Fluffy
Old Nov 29th, 2003, 05:58 PM

We stayed at the Madison a couple of years ago and it was wonderful! We got the lowest priced room (around $100,). but it was lovely, though on the back ...which made it quiet.The room was a little small, but very clean, modern and nice...with a king bed (two singles put together.) The front desk staff were great and so helpful. The breakfast was a buffet, delicious, large and American type...very rare in Paris,....but I don't think it came with the room. The Madison is in a wonderful location, and close to a tube and bus. We were there in March when it was cold and rainy, and they were renovating the front face of the hotel, but still LOVED it.
Wish I could comment on the Hotel St. Germain des Pres ...so there could be some comparison. However, I have heard it is a very nice hotel also.
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 06:12 AM

Stayed at the Madison 2 months ago. Paid 184 euro for superior room that overlooked Blvd. Ste. Germaine. Excellent hotel. Excellent location. Large room by Paris standards. No need to pay for breakfast there as there is a "croissanterie" across the street. Would definitely stay there again.
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

We have decided on the Madison. Thanks to all of you for your help and suggestions - I really appreciate it. Fluffy, I have read your Paris posts from way back and have found them always helpful and informative.

Now all our reservations are in place for our anniversary trip. I know we will have a great time from Rome to Sorrento to Siena to Villefranche to Paris! Thanks again.
Old Nov 30th, 2003, 12:18 PM
ira

Have a grea trip, Marianna.

Don't forget to take good notes for your trip report.