Help me get out of my Paris Hotel rut

Feb 21st, 2006, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Help me get out of my Paris Hotel rut

I have been in Paris 7 times, staying in the 6th each visit at the Left Bank in the same upper level room overlooking the courtyard. It's quiet and has a great view of Notre Dame. When room 604 has been booked on two visits, we have tried Hotel du Danube (thumbs way down) and Marronnier-ok but too basic (both on Rue Jacob). Another time we tried Hotel de L'Abbaye (our least favorite despite the extreme popularity. We found the location to be quite inconvenient a nd our room was off the lobby and noisy) We will be in Paris for only 2 nights on our next trip--where should we stay? We are both light sleepers so street noise is a big issue. Should we consider Ile de Louis or Le Marais? We would prefer not to spend over $300 US.
Feb 21st, 2006, 01:32 PM

Across from the 6th - over the Pont Neuf, up the street ... the Hotel Relais du Louvre.
I recommend it.
Feb 21st, 2006, 01:37 PM

Hi Richard, I am guessing that the hotel with Rm. #604 is at the Hotel Left Bank St. Germain. I second your thoughts about the Danube unfortunately as that's the only hotel on your list that I have stayed at.

I personally liked staying on the Ile St. Louis. I find the location to be very convenient to the 4th through 6th districts. I'm not sure if you will like it but I really enjoyed my stay at the Hotel de Lutece. It's a very simple yet charming and clean hotel with very nice staff. The rates are actually good considering the location. I had a 4th floor room that overlooked some rooftops-not a charming view but the room was very quiet except for Notre Dame's bells which I really thought was charming. www.paris-hotel-lutece.com
Feb 21st, 2006, 01:57 PM

Try the Hôtel Madison on the Blvd. St-Germain. We love it. Rooms are spacious and quiet, and the location is just about perfect.
Feb 21st, 2006, 02:09 PM

Richard,
Ive always stayed in the 6th, too-- I just love that area! I'm always looking for the "perfect " hotel in that area. (So I'm probably not much help as far as branching out to other locations!)
Here are some of the places I've tried:

The Relais St. Germain, which has beautiful large rooms, but is maybe in need of a little freshening up now, and might be a tad above your price range.
http://www.hotel-paris-relais-saint-germain.com/

The Madison- great location and lovely large rooms looking out at St. Germain, but the prices have really gone up, so it's probably a little above your price range.
http://www.hotel-madison.com/

I've also stayed at the Regent, and it was very nice, but I didn't fall in love with it.
http://www.regent-paris-hotel.com/index.html

My favorite budget choice is the Bonaparte- the rooms could use some decorating help, but it's clean, very nice staff, and you can't beat the location.
http://www.hotelbonaparte.fr/

On my next trip I'm trying the Hotel d'Angleterre, 44 rue Jacob, in the 6th.- right by the Danube. It has been recently renovated, and sounds very nice, with large rooms.
http://www.hotel-dangleterre.com/

Another one that I've put on my list of plces to check out because of rave reviews from people here on Fodors is the Hotel Henri IV Rive Gauche,
9-11 rue Saint Jacques, in the 5th Arr.
http://www.henri-paris-hotel.com/index.html

So many great choices!
Good luck with your decision, and please report back and let us know how it goes.

Feb 21st, 2006, 03:37 PM

Wow, great choices and info here on the 6th. We just booked the St. Germain des Pres for a week end of April. Comes highly recommended from our TA. This will be our first trip so have no experience with the hotels in Paris. We are very excited to be staying in the 6th...
Feb 21st, 2006, 03:49 PM

Hotel Clos Medicis
Feb 21st, 2006, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

I just realized why we keep going back to the Left Bank--there are so many wonderful choices that it's too difficult to make a new decision. The Relais St. Germain has a terrific website--it looks like everything you want in a Paris hotel room. It would be so difficult to leave the 6th. I enviously walked into the lobby of the Angleterre when we were staying at the Danube, wishing we could have moved. (At the Danube, we were next to the elevator shaft and heard the movement all night long. The second night we were moved to a bizarre room in the back)Newly renovated is definitely enticing. Looks like we will be upping our budget. Our Millennium Broadway room in New York City last November was $439 + tax + more tax. Paris offers the best choices in the world so it's worth spending what ever it takes. I would have guessed that the Madison is quiet-- Blvd.St. Germain is so wild and crazy. I do know from previous experience, that it's never too early to make a reservation. If you don't get the hotel you want, it's so disappointing.
Feb 21st, 2006, 09:07 PM

Richard I feel your pain. Trips two through eight have all been in the 6th. (Hotels Lutetia, Millesime, Artus, Fleurie, Premier Left Bank, and the Regent) I really have no complaints about *any* of these hotels but would say the Regent was the best deal at 112 euro.

I am finally "expanding my horizons" by staying in Le Marais for my next trip in March.

Feb 21st, 2006, 09:23 PM

Was the 112 euro rate at Le Regent the result of their elevator work? If so, yes, that was a steal. It regularly costs 150 euro for a standard (miniscule) room, 210 euro for a luxury room, and 225 euro for a luxury superior room.

As to the Angleterre it's been renovated as of late Dec. 2004/early Jan. 2005. I stayed there in 2002 and the room was not well-maintained hence the recent renovations I guess. I saw their website photos and the rooms pictured really look alot nicer than the room I had. I am sure it would be a good choice but they still have that old-fashioned reservation policy of requiring guests to send a personal check to book a room.
Feb 21st, 2006, 09:31 PM

Yes francophile you are correct. And it was even more of a steal because the elevator work had not even started yet when I was there! Definitely the best bargain I ever got in Paris.

Feb 21st, 2006, 09:36 PM

Wow, I guess it's a common dilemma! I, too, usually make my home in the 6th, last time at Le Regent and before that at the Bonaparte. This time, I'm agonizing between the Hotel du France, the Champ de Mars (both 78E and both in the 7th) or the Fleurie for 90E in the 6th. I spend so little time in the room that it really doesn't matter. So, why do I agonize like this?!?!
Feb 21st, 2006, 09:42 PM

There are times when you want to linger in the room a bit so it's better if the room is pleasant and has a bit of space to walk around.
Feb 22nd, 2006, 02:10 AM

Cheap and St-Germain/Odéon area:

- Hotel Stella (66 euros, no amenities, great wooden beams and tile floors)
- Hotel St-André-des-Arts (about 8O euros, on busy street so ask for courtyard room; also no elevator)
- Hotel La Louisiane (right on Buci market street so ask for a room facing courtyard; they have empty fridges; Simone de Beauvoir used to live here, so lots of artsy types, about 110 euros)
- Hotel du Lys (also about 95, great old rooms on a quieter street)
- Hotel Delhy's (very basic, cheapest rooms have no showers, there are bathrooms in the hall; all toilets in the hall; great location in pedestrian passage right off St-Michel)

You can also try and get a room on the Ile de la Cité right inside the Hôtel Dieu at the "Hospitel" (next door to Notre Dame; yes, it's a hospital, but a floor has rooms for 95 euros; very clean! www.hotel-hospitel.com)

Hope this helps!
Heather
Feb 22nd, 2006, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Sorry to hear about the Angleterre requiring a deposit check--that bothers me so much I will probably keep searching--plus I don't love the location. Seems that it is a few blocks too far ( that's what we felt when we stayed nearby at the Danube). Ambiance, comfy bed and quiet are important--we are not looking for a bargain. Any more ideas in the 6th?
Feb 22nd, 2006, 08:26 AM

My wife and I have stayed at two hotels in the 6th. We like both:
* Pas des Calais- right off blvd St.Germaine-
* Le Sainte Beauve- in 6th but not just steps from Boulevard and famous restaurants and many shops. Check both out.
Feb 22nd, 2006, 11:40 AM

RichardJ, I feel badly for dumbing down your post last night, with my mention of more budget concious hotels. That said, here are some of the properties I'd consider in your price range:

4th: Pavillon de La Reine

6th: Villa d'Estrees
Relais Christine
D'Aubusson
Bel Ami
L'Hotel
Luxembourg Parc
Relais St. Germain

7th: Le Walt
D'Orsay
de Varenne
Vernueil
Relais Bosquet
Pont Royal

16th: Sofitel Pe Parc

Wow. I wish I was looking in your price range!

Feb 22nd, 2006, 11:51 AM

I think you would like to remain in the 6th district. With your budget I would suggest staying at the highest category at Relais Christine or the d' Aubusson. However, I find that the Relais Christine to be more nicely furnished and decorated than the d' Aubusson's rooms.
Feb 22nd, 2006, 12:06 PM

I like the 8th, and sometimes stay at the folkestone. Here is their address:

Rue Castellane, Paris 75008, France

Le Metro stop is Havre-Caumartin

A description from the web:
Hotel description
Located between the Madeleine Church, the Place de la Concorde and the Opera House, an attentive reception and charming rooms will help you enjoy your stay at the Folkestone Opera Hotel. You are welcome to relax in one of our two cosy lounges or at the bar. All rooms are individually air conditioned and equipped with satellite television, minibar, direct dial phone, safe deposit box and hairdryer.

and you can find more info at
http://www.hotels-paris.fr/en/hotel/...tone-Opera.htm

Feb 22nd, 2006, 12:08 PM

forgot to add the hotel website!

http://www.paris-hotels-opera.com/fo.../eng/index.htm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO