Hotel Turenne in Paris

Search

Hotel Turenne in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Turenne in Paris

Could someone please explain this line from the web site description of the Hotel Turenne ?

Double, large bed, shower, toilet, rue Chevert

I am assuming that the hotel has an annex on another street.

My first reaction was that the outhouse was a long ways away!!

Back to the bed argument as to what is what.
A "large bed" is what? About 140 cm wide?
Which is about 2 inches wider than an American double bed; at least, the one I have in my house measures 53 or 54 inches in width depending on where you stop your finger.
Old Oct 25th, 2006, 05:10 PM

I stayed at this hotel this past June, and I don't recall an annex or another entrance on rue Chevert. Many of the rooms overlook that street though - maybe that's what it means.

As for the size of the bed, I recall that it was more like the size of an American double bed. Certainly smaller than an American queen sized bed.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 07:21 AM

We stayed there in 2001. I think some of the rooms have been "refreshed" since then. Rooms look out over ave de la Tourville or rue Chevert (side street). I don't think they would have 'king' size beds. The only way to know for sure is to email them for the bed-size dimensions. There is no annex that I know of, either.
When we stayed there, the breakfast was served in small room off the lobby, and was a fresh continental (rolls/croissant, jams, juice, coffee). The hotel is a basic 2*, some minor wear, light-timers in the hallways, teensy elevator..
We had a room over ave de la Tourville - heard traffic noise, but it became a muffled drone with the windows only cracked open for air.
We had twin beds which were a bit 'narrow' and pushed together with separate bedding, but we were comfortable.
It was a good value for the 80-ish Euro we paid.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 09:21 AM

I suspect chepar is right, the rue Chevert just refers to the side of the hotel the room faces. that hotel is on the corner, as I recall, so some rooms are on that street. I've had quite a few hotels refer to rooms in terms regarding which direction they face (or whether street or courtyard, etc.). That room costs more, so perhaps it is one particular room they have that is larger or nicer or something.

AS for the "large bed" that translation is of the term "grand lit" which has always meant 140 cm in any hotel I've stayed at in France. I'm sure some hotels could use that term for a queen (but likely they would call it a queen), but I've never seen it used for a bed smaller than 140 cm, and that would be the norm for a hotel of that category.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 09:42 AM

One other thing - if you plan to stay at this hotel, I would recommend booking directly with the hotel itself.

I had made reservations at this hotel through a 3rd party agency on the internet. At checkout, I was charged a higher rate than what was confirmed through the agency.

Although I showed a printed copy of my confirmation, the hotel staff insisted that the agency must have made a mistake and refused to honor the confirmed price. They indicated to me that they had a similar problem with another guest a few days prior.

When I returned home I contacted the agency's customer service department. They followed up with the hotel and I received an email stating that the hotel admitted they were in error and would credit my charge card with the difference.

However, I did not receive the credit, and subsequent efforts to follow up with both the agency and the hotel were ignored.

The amount of money was not that large, but the experience with the hotel left a bad taste in my mouth.
Old Oct 26th, 2006, 11:32 AM

We stayed there two years ago, and found it a perfectly acceptable hotel. Rooms were clean, if a bit old-fashioned/shabby. I was in Paris last week and happened to walk by, and glanced into the lobby. The check-in desk had been changed to a glass topped thing, and the lobby looked like it had been refurbished a bit. Perhaps that has been done to the rooms, as well.

There is only the one entrance, so I concur with the earlier posters, that the reference is to the street exposure. Even though the hotel is just around the corner from the Ecole Militaire Metro, we did not find the rooms noisy, even with the windows open.

Have a great trip.