Reload this Page >

Hotel Suggestions in Bath

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 11:25 AM
Linda X

We are planning on 2 nights in Bath. We'll have a car and needed recommendations. We want to spend in the 90-140 pounds range. We weren't sure how important it was to be in the town of Bath itself, or places that were a 1/2 mile plus were fine as well. Any ideas?

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 11:37 AM
Suzy

The problem with staying a half-mile outside of town is that you'll have to either hike into town or drive in and try to find parking. <BR><BR>The ideal compromise is the Sydney Gardens Hotel, which is actually a B&B a 5-minute walk outside the city proper. They offer parking and you won't have to deal with driving in Bath, which even the locals find daunting.<BR><BR>The place is in a lovely park setting, offers ensuite baths, huge English breakfast. IIRC, we paid about &pound;70 for our rooms last summer, so perhaps they aren't fancy enough for you!

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 03:21 PM
Linda X

No, I appreciate your suggestion...we don't NEED to spend more money but thought that the prices were high in Bath.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 06:11 PM
Carla

We were in Bath last week and stayed at the Paradise House. It is wonderful for about 90 pounds. It is on the edge of town about a 15 minute walk from the train station. The only downside is that the walk is up a very steep hill. But the hotel is beautiful, well maintained with a lovely garden. It is very convenient to Bath without being in the noise and traffice. The manager Zane and his wife Susanne do a wonderful job.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 02:13 PM
Shelley

Last summer we stayed outside Bath at a wonderful B&B call Eagle House in Bathford --- about 4 miles from Bath. The hosts are so friendly and full of helpful suggestions. Take a look at their website: www.eaglehouse.co.uk. We would definitely stay there again, and I am picky about my accommodations. We paid about 74 pounds. The breakfast was good. And the black lab was so fun. There is a bus into Bath about a five minute walk away from Eagle House. I believe it runs every 20 minutes. We drove and parked in a car park which was centrally located in downtown Bath, and easy to find. We had no trouble driving to the car park. But we also tried driving around the city and found it frustrating! Also, there was a wonderful pub down the hill from the Eagle House and we would definitely go there again, as well. John, the owner of eagle House, and I had many conversations via email as I planned my trip.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 07:50 PM
Sandy

We stayed in Bath a few years ago and stayed at The Bath Priory. It was expensive but we only stayed one night and the experience was memorable. Take a look at their website: www.thebathpriory.co.uk<BR>We chose the package that came with dinner/bed/breakfast. Our room came with a sitting area overlooking their beautiful English gardens. I only wish we had a bathroom at home like the one in our room. Our dinner was one of the best we've ever eaten... definitely 5 star! <BR>The Priory is walking distance to the center of town. Also don't miss the Roman Baths and the double decker bus tour of the city was wonderful. Don't know if it's still there, but we had a great pizza for lunch at the Firehouse Rotisserie.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 05:25 AM
J T Kirk

We just got back from Bath. we stayed at the Queensberry, which is expensive, but nice. And it's conveniently located. As mentioned, driving in Bath is tough. Many one-way streets and it's not laid out on a grid. If you do stay outside of Bath, get a good street map and plan your route into town. Also, parking is a bear in town. It's easier to park outside of town and walk in (if you don't mind walking.) Of course, Bath is a town that should be walked - along the river,through the heart of town, up to the Royal Crescent, etc. Have fun.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 05:46 AM
trying

We stayed last month at the Parade Park. I don't know whether it has parking facilities (we arrived by train). It was reasonably priced; might even be a bit cheaper than your range. But we liked it and recommend it. It is located a minute or so from the baths and the Abbey. It overlooked, well, the Parade Park. It has an adjacent pub called Lambrettas, which was a nice.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 05:48 AM
WisJane

We also stayed at the Queensberry recently and it is lovely. Great staff and convenient location.