Hotel St. Roch - Louvre

Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel St. Roch - Louvre

I booked this hotel for myself and 3 15 (almost 16) year old young ladies. I wanted to be close to as many sights as possible. I was tempted by the 7th, but the small hotels in the Rue Cler were booked. Well...the ones w/ AC in our price range. There was also the Gilden Magenta near the St. Martin Canal and the Lyon Mulhouse NW of the Bastille. The Gilden Magenta had charm with the offered Quad being in the back, opening to the inner courtyard. The Lyon Mulhouse was more basic, but nice for the price. Neither had AC. St. Roch has ONE room w/ AC so I figure it's a window unit and that is what was promised us when we booked. We'll see when we get there. Then there was the Hotel Chopin a bit NW of the heart of the Seine. But I wanted to walk and be there early for the Louvre when it opened and the D'Orsay and St. Chapelle and Notre Dame, etc.

Anyway, I was reading the Paris and AC posts and Christina mentioned not liking to stay on the Rue de Rivoli near the Louvre - she was speaking about the Hotel Brighton of which I've read wonderful things. So that makes me curious. We are on St. Roch a side street of the Rivoli, but now I'm worried. I found this hotel through Alistair Sawday's Special Places to Stay and wanted a more Parisian type hotel instead of a bland, but nice chain hotel. Did I make a mistake? There were so many great places to stay it was very hard to choose and I came down to location 1st and chose the 1st. But, as you can tell, I'm still tempted by the other beautiful hotels.

Sigh...Too much Paris too little time.

We leave for Germany this Saturday and will be going to Paris either Monday night or very early Tuesday. Yippeee!
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 03:15 PM

Not a mistake, no. As far as central 2* hotels go, this one is decent & it has many guests who return for every visit. I like it better than any you named. As for the Brighton, that is above rue Rivoli where traffic is always busy & you won't have those problems. Just watch that this hotel doesn't walk you over to their other property, which isn't as nice. This is something I've read they do.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 05:48 PM

I don't recall that post, but it wasn't anything specific about the Hotel Brighton -- just that I don't care for rue de Rivoli. It's just a very busy street with tons of tourists and souvenir shops and a lot of traffic, completely commercial, that's all. Some other folks find that location central and like it fine. Being on a side street would definitely be preferable, I would think. I wouldn't worry about it too much, although I don't know anything specific about that hotel.

I am rather sensitive to noise and crowds, more than some people I think -- I tend to avoid the most congested areas of Paris to stay in.
Old Jul 22nd, 2003, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. Christina, I think your post was from 2002, but I've done so many searches here, I can't be sure. I am also sensitive to noise and light, but I figure if they give us the room w/ the AC we should only hear that!! And maybe us being a bit up from Rivoli we won't hear the noise so much.

Their other hotel is the Londres-Saint Honore and that is the one picked for the Hotel du Charme listing and Alistair Sawday's Special Places to Stay. Is that the one you hope we don't get switched to? Yikes!! That is supposed to be the nicer of the two. I'm puzzled.

I didn't realize the Rivoli was so touristy, and not the charming type. Uh oh!

I'm glad to hear that you like St. Roch better than the others I mentioned! There are just so many choices! I would like to take a day just to check all the 2* hotels and pick some ones to keep in mind for next time. But we will NOT have that extra day!

Thanks!
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 04:41 AM
jmw

Years ago friends and I stayed twice at a two-star on St. Roch called the "Londres et Stockholm" or something like that. We were pleased with the hotel and the street -- at that time (in the late 70's) I could hear a children's choir practicing from our window. We were near the church (St. Roch). You might want to read a bit about that church, by the way, because it has an interesting history.

Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

It could be that this hotel is the same one. On the map it's the closest thing to the church! Maybe I won't use my earplugs after all. I'd love to hear a children's choir. I think the hotelier might know the history of the church, but I'll search online too. I hope to present our hostess with a gift from my small but historic hometown. I'm thinking either a Christmas tree ornament or a collectible Cat's Meow piece. What do you guys think?
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 09:02 AM

Hi
I've stayed several times, tho' not recently, on Rue St Roch, at the Louvre Montana and at the Louvre St Romain hotels.
I love the location. A couple of blocks to Tuileries metro, a block or two more to Concorde or Pyramides or Palais Royale. Walking distance to the Louvre or to Faubourg St Honore, or the Garnier Opera.
I love staying in that area, but it is true that one must mostly avoid the restaurants and shops on rue de Rivoli, and in the neighborhood in general there aren't many moderately-priced choices for restaurants. One good- value place is Lescure, on rue Mondavi.

I have a file on Paris; if you'd like to see it, email me at
[email protected]