Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rue Saint Guillaume, Paris & Hotel Questions

Jan 26th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Help! I am trying to decide on lodging for a trip to Paris in March. I am leaning toward an apartment on Rue Saint Guillaume, which is also the most affordable option. My boyfriend is concerned that the street may be too quiet...he would like to be literally out the door and into a boulangerie/ produce stand/ etc. Does anyone have experience with this street, just below Blvd Saint Germain?

Our other options, from least to most expensive, are the Hotel D'Albe, Hotel Agora, Hotel Atlantis and Hotel La Perle. (I have inquired about Bonaparte but have not heard back from them). Would any of these be preferred to an apartment based on atmosphere, location, amenities, etc.? Many thanks for your opinions. FYI, we had hoped to stay in the 6th, but have expanded to the 5th due to costs. And I should mention that the boyfriend likes a hotel also because of the daily cleaning and the ability to ask hotel staff should we need anything.

Thanks again!
Jan 26th, 2007, 08:18 AM

Go to http://photos.pagesjaunes.fr and type in the address of the hotel. You can take a virtual wander around the neighborhood.
Jan 26th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I did try that but unfortunately (for me), the block did look very quiet and full of administrative buildings. Was hoping someone here would have info to the contrary. I am adding to my confusion nw by looking into apts. in the Marais.
Jan 26th, 2007, 08:53 AM

I think your boyfriend is being a little unrealistic and why does he want a produce stand so much, anyway, if you are in a hotel? It sounds like he'd like the area near the Seine and St Michel as it is full of people and stores, etc. However, if he doesn't want a somewhat less-happening location, no, I wouldn't choose a hotel in that part of the 7th. I stayed on that street but a block or so away, and generally that area does hve a lot of government buildings, schools, etc., and that street does. The end of it near bd St Germain is not full of boulangeries/produce stands, it's too expensive real estate and there are designers stores and things like that up there.

If it wants to be in the thick of things, the Hotel Albe would certainly be top spot. He can be out the door and into plenty of stores (although I don't think there is any produce stand around there). There are some boulangeries (sort of, not real ones, but chains like Brioche Doree where you can easily buy sandwiches, rolls, etc.). There are cafes right next to it, practically.

I don't like the location of the Agora myself, but some people do. I think it's too quiet and kind of away from things and inconvenient. I stayed near it once and always wished I'd stayed elsewhere, not that it was tragic -- I just didn't prefer it.

Of course the Atlantis is a very convenient location and will give him what he wants, also. It is very near the Bonaparte, so they aren't really different in location. La PErle is also a good location in St Germain, and it's not very far from the Atlantis or Bonaparte, either.

I think these look like good choices from what I saw on their websites. I would agree with your BF and not stay at the one on rue St Guillaume, and I personally would choose the Atlantis or La Perle as best locations. The Albe may suit him, it's a little too busy a location for me, but will also give him what he wants.
Jan 26th, 2007, 09:03 AM

have you looked at the 4th arr., the marais? i find it to be more lively than the 6th, and there are all sorts of shops everywhere. i believe there are some inexpensive hotels as well.

have fun! we'll be there in march, too!
Jan 26th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. Melissa19, I am now starting to look into the Marais and am starting a whole new world of confusion! Enjoy your trip (do you know where you are staying?)! I've contacted some apartment owners already.

Christine, I really appreciate your thoughts on Saint Guillaume and your feedback on the other hotels, esp. the Agora. My BF stayed at the Atlantis last year. He liked it very much but I was just hoping for more space/a better deal. During that trip, he loved the beautiful fruit and shrimp (already cooked) available at the Reu de Buci street market...I'd love to start my day with some local fruit as well, which is why I understand his desire to be near one of the famous street markets of Paris. Again, thanks for your feedback and I think we'll stay out of the 7th.
Jan 26th, 2007, 11:09 AM

"...to be near one of the famous street markets of Paris..."
ummm, the famous (infamous) market street "rue Cler" is in the 7th

Be aware that there are market streets (open daily for the most part) and street markets (2 days a week).
Jan 26th, 2007, 11:48 AM

We stayed in an apartment in the 2nd, but a block and a half from St. Eustache that was very reasonable in price. Near Montorgueil Market, a lively restaraunt/bar down stairs in the next building, 3 minutes walk to Les Halles Metro. Search "historic vacation apartment" on google. It was on rue de la Jussienne.
Jan 26th, 2007, 12:17 PM

yes, it isn't the fact that it is the 7th (which is fairly large), it's that particular location--there are stores and markets in the 7th, of course. Maybe you just meant you won't stay in the 7th because that is the one hotel you were thinking of there.

There are street markets in the 7th, but you didn't ask about a street market, but about produce stands and boulangeries. Rue de Buci is similar to rue Cler in that it is a street with shops on it, many of them about food, but they are permanent. I think of a street market as the roving things that set up once or twice a week near a square.

IN any case, I think you'll or he will prefer other areas, but that hotel on rue St Guillaume is about 3-4 blocks from the grocery store of Bon Marche, so it has lots of produce and things to eat. But it's not right in the same block.

There is a street market at place Maubert in the 5th a day or two a week, also, but that's not the same as rue de Buci or rue Cler. It's not permanent.
Jan 26th, 2007, 01:05 PM

if you're still interested in hotels, you might try the Grande Hotel Jeanne d'Arc. it gets mixed reviews here, but more positively on trip advisor. it's a budget hotel in the 4th. we've stayed at the Hotel Caron de Beaumarchais which, if it's within your budget, is lovely. the rooms on the upper floor are small, but facing the street have a small balcony.

we're staying for the second time at a flat on the rue de turenne. supposedly across from one of the best boulangeries in the area!

good luck!
Jan 26th, 2007, 01:06 PM

i just remembered... if you can find a place near the Bastille end of the Marais, there is a wonderful market (i hear) on the blvd. richard lenoir. it's on thursday and sunday, i think.
Jan 26th, 2007, 02:44 PM

take a look at the timhotel palais royal near the louvre. we paid 79 euros fo rtwo, including breakfast and tax last week.

there is plenty within two blocks.
gallerie vivienne at your doorstep, good transport and a variety of dining and shops nearby.

i donīt think there is a market very near,though.
Jan 31st, 2007, 06:33 AM

okra,

any luck on finding an apartment?