Hotel recommendation in Siena

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2004, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone recommend a hotel or bed and breakfast at reasonable price in Siena?

thanks in advance,

C
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 11:33 AM

Carlos, do a search above under SIENA HOTELS and you will get a ton of ideas.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 12:52 PM

You might want to search for comments on these specifically, which have been recommended here and elsewhere (also look at tripadvisor.com) but I have no idea what "reasonable price" means to you. These have varying prices and amenities.

Chiusarelli
Duomo
Palazzo Ravizza
Cannon d'Oro
Albergo Bernini
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to Italy for my Honeymoon the second week of September and I just realized that I didn't have any reservations in Siena. In the past, when I've been in Siena I've never had reservations, but obviously this is a very very special ocassion for the both of us, so I wouldn't want to be surprise that the entire town is sold out upon our arrival in Siena.

thanks again!
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 05:57 AM

If you are going to have a car, I highly recommend Frances Lodge which is outside the city walls but near a bus stop into the city. It's a beautiful place with wonderful hosts. Their email is franceslodge.it
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 06:15 AM

If you have a particular place you want to stay, I think you'd better reserve asap. When we were staying at Duomo one May, they were turning people away and told me they were already booking for Oct. of that year.
I do recommend the Duomo, for location and reasonable price.

Good luck and have fun!
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 10:23 AM

We stayed in June at the Hotel Garden. It is outside Siena, so you would need a car or be willing to take a bus or taxi into town. Since you've been to Siena before, you're the best judge of whether you really want to stay inside the town or not.
Hotel Garden would be beautiful for a honeymoon. We stayed in one of the deluxe rooms in the Belvedere building. Everything in our room looked fresh and new. They have a fabulous terrace, where you can have a romantic dinner and watch the sunset over Siena. There are flowers and beautiful plants everywhere. The pool is particularly lovely -- and I'm assuming September will still be warm enough to swim. They give you the most luxurious pool towels I've ever seen!
The breakfast buffet was the best we had in 3 weeks in Italy -- they call it an American breakfast on the website (I guess because they serve bacon and eggs), but there is so much more -- a variety of croissants and different tarts, fresh fruits, yogurt, cereal, breads, meats, cheeses, cappucino, etc. The hotel bar also has an amazing assortment of snacks to go with your cocktails.
The website is www.gardenhotel.it. There are quite a few reviews on tripadvisor.com. I was a little worried because there were some bad reviews, but we found everything to be fabulous.
Make sure wherever you book your reservations you let them know it is your honeymoon.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 10:37 AM

Several years ago, we really enjoyed staying at the Duomo. We had a great view of the cathedral from our window, and off the lobby on our floor there was a pretty little rooftop deck.

Maybe somebody can give you a more up-to-date review of the hotel, but at that time it was very nice.

Byrd
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 10:47 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
I would try Palazzo Ravizza. A superior room is € 180,00 (ask for garden view). A junior suite (I believe they all have garden views) is € 220,00. We stayed there in 2001 and loved it. We have had numerous friends stay there since, and they have all still given it rave reviews.

Have a great honeymoon. The hotel has a good restaurant and a little bar. Nothing like a romantic Limoncello out in the garden after dinner.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone's recommendation!!! I've been getting responses back from some hotels already. We are going to stay in Siena on 9/15 for two nights, and just do a day trip to Montepulciano or maybe a wine tour (this part is up in the air). We are not driving, so we are planning to stay in town or walking distance. Duomo is quoting me 130 euros, which is not bad at all.

Thanks a bunch to everyone....this was the only leg of my trip that I realized I didn't have any reservations for.

We are planning to go to Venice, Florence, Siena, Pisa, Cinqueterre (Riomaggiore), Rome and Milan.

Carlos
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Ok....I was able to get some prices and I review some comments here and there. I think I'm going with Palazzo Brucchi in Siena.

Does anyone have any further feedback about this B&B?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 11:15 AM

Carlos, the only trip report I could find on this forum is:

"Author: Marcus
Date: 07/13/2002, 04:07 pm
Message: We stayed at the Palazzo Bruchi a couple weeks ago. The rooms were great -very large, very nicely furnished, a couple minutes walk to the Campo but with a view of gardens and the city walls from the rooms. Extremely quiet.

The Blue Room, especially, is great. (There are only three or four rooms available.) Also took the Fresco Room.

Would definitely stay there again."

Linda
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 11:38 AM

swalter:

How late do the buses run out to the Frances Lodge? And how far is the stop from the hotel?
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

that's exactly the room that I'm getting, the Blue Room.

thanks again everyone!

Carlos
Old Jul 29th, 2004, 12:05 PM

Jeanne B,
The bus isn't a Frances Lodge bus, it's the municipal bus so it runs on their schedule but it's my recollection that it ran until 11-11:30 at night because we took it well after dinner into the night. The stop is about a 3 minute drive or a 10 minute walk. There is free parking at the bus stop. A few times we drove and parked near the city and we had wished we took the bus. The bus ride itself is about 10 minutes depending on what stop.