Hotel Rates in CZ, H, & PO

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2004, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When hotel rates are quoted for each of these three countries, do they typically include VAT and service? Is continental breakfast typically part of each offering or is this strictly dependent on the individual property?

I know that in the UK, for example, in almost every location outside of London hotel rates quoted include the room, VAT, and service charges and most also include a full breakfast.

Your experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks,
BigBlue
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 03:58 PM

In the Czech Republic, Poland and Hungary, you can typically expect that a hotel, pension or B&B's quoted rate will include VAT, service and usually breakfast.

Depending on the accommodation, some breakfasts maybe be more lavish than others (a full buffet as compared to something more simple, such as breads,juice, tea and coffee, and usually at least some meats, cheeses and yogurt.)

From our experience, the only hotel we have found in those countries that did not automatically include breakfast in the rate were typical American chain establishments, like Hilton, Marriott, Holiday Inn, etc.

In any event, it is always wise to verify what is included.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 07:34 PM

Just ask the hotel, that's really the best idea. I have stayed in hotels in the Czech Republic and one included breakfast and one did not; I stayed at a hotel in Poland that did not include breakfast. So, I think the breakfast really is individual.

I think the quoted rates should include all necessary taxes (and service, of course, if there is such a separate charge), but I don't think you can predict exactly what any hotel might do in advertised rates on some sites, or what a discount booking site might do to fool you.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 07:36 PM

by the way, none of the hotels I stayed at were American or chains, they were all local hotels and one was in a rural area (and did not include breakfast).
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 03:13 AM

In my experience, when a hotel in these countries quotes you a rate, say, in an e-mail, they SPECIFY what is and is not included in the rate. They will also tell you whether or not breakfast is included and, often, whether or not it is a buffet style or "continental" (the meaning of which can be quite varied). If it isn't included they will often tell you how much it costs and that it is extra.

If you are dealing directly with any establishment anywhere this is what you should expect to see/hear/be quoted. Anything less you should ask specifically about.