Quick question for Maribel or Olga

Old Aug 17th, 2004, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick question for Maribel or Olga

At the end of my Spain itinerary, I will have 4 nights to explore Cadiz and Ronda (then flying out of Malaga). Should I stay 2/Cadiz and 2/Ronda, or 1 and 3 or consider another stop somewhere else in the area? The first of these nights we will be coming from Seville and it is my husband's 40th birthday... I'd also love a recommendation for a special place for dinner. Thanks very much if you take the time to respond.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Of course, I would be glad to hear from anyone who has a suggestion... thanks.
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 11:55 AM

Well, I spent 2 days in Ronda and LOVED it. Do you like to hike? You can explore the gorge and walk around and take in the scenery - I loved that. But it is small, so it depends on what you want to do. I didn't go to Cadiz.

You could use Ronda as a base for exploring some of the other white towns. They are close enough that you can stay put and explore.

We had a fabulous dinner in Ronda, but I don't remember the name. I'll see if I can find it...

Karen
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 12:04 PM

In Ronda, we ate at Restaurante Dona Pena in the Plaza de Sorocco, which is on the "new" side of the bridge, but only a few blocks from the "old" part.

It was excellent. They gave us sherry before the meal and anisette afterwards. Very interesting. Food was great, wonderful ambiance, decor, and service. I'd highly recommend it for a special meal.

Karen
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 11:56 PM

I believe Maribel highly recommends Tragabuches Restaurante in Ronda for that special meal (see her guide). The restaurante in located behind the Plaza de Toros, near the Parador. They offer an excellent menú for both lunch and dinner.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 06:06 PM

I spent 3 nights in Cadiz over Semana Santa and loved this town! In fact, I already plan to revisit during Semana Santa next year. The parador is right on the beach and although it's modern it's a nice place to stay. The people are very friendly and the food is great. El Faro, one of the best restaurants in Andalucia, is in Cadiz. There are also some top restaurants in El Puerto de Santa Maria (you can review some past postings particularly by Maribel for details. Cadiz is not a town packed with alot of "sights", and some may think it's a bit worn, but I absolutely love this place. Cadiz is a great place to base yourself for daytrips to the sherry towns of Jerez, Puerta de Santa Maria, and Sanlucar de Barrameda. It's also an hour from the white village of Vejer de la Frontera. Sanlucar and Vejer are both featured in the Most Beautiful Villages of Spain book. Ronda is also a nice city - I spent a night there in 2001 and 2 nights in Arcos.

I'd suggest 2 nights in Cadiz, then 2 nights in Ronda. You could visit some of the white villages (Arcos, Zahara, Grazalema) on the drive from Cadiz to Ronda. Or depending on how much you want to move around you could spend 2 nights in Cadiz, a night in Arcos and a night in Ronda - taking in Zahara and Grazalema along the route from Arcos to Ronda.

Please let me know if you need anything else.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 04:00 AM
Original Poster

CathyM, thank you so much. I am going to take your advice and stay in Cadiz/Ronda 2/2. I also am taking some earlier suggestions you gave me, staying in Ubeda and Carmona (visting Cordoba on the way between the two).