What White Towns Not To Miss?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be leaving Seville by car for a day of wandering south before returning to sleep in Arcos de la Frontera. We were thinking of visiting Utrera and Cadiz, but not sure which other places to see, ie. Vejer de la Frontera, Medina-Sidonia, etc. It looks like Jerez de la Frontera is quite large, so not sure if it would be more of a hassle getting in and out. We'd like to see as much as possible without exhausting ourselves.
Could you Fodorites experienced in the region give me some advice? From Arcos we head to Ronda, stopping at Grazelema along the way. Any other spots not to be missed?? Thanks all
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 11:16 PM

If you leave from Arcos there's a route that you can follow upto Ronda, the "Ruta de los Pueblos Blancos". It's 103 miles long and leads you to Espera, Bornos, Villamartín, Prado del Rey, El Bosque, Ubrique, Benaocaz, Villalengua del Rosario, Grazalema, Zahara de la Sierra, Algodonales, Olvera and Setenil de las Bodegas.
http://www.andalusia-web.com/route_1.htm
Allow enough time in Arcos de la Frontera. It's really a very pretty town.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 05:48 AM

We drove from Sevilla to Marbella last month. Had originally planned just to stop in Ronda but did a quick exit to Zahara - what an amazing, beautiful,wonderful (need I go on??) little spot! the town is pristine - all white washed and clean. We stopped at Vinculo to chat with Juan,the owner and sample his sherry, olive oil, etc. Ended up buying quite a bit. He recommended a little place for lunch in the village square (Naranjes?) that was excellent. We hiked up to the castle ruins; gazed out over the lake and wondered what will happen if large mega resort corporation ever discover this little place? after that, ronda was a let down.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 05:52 AM

We especially liked Arcos, Zahara and Grazelema. Ronda is spectacular, too, but we found it to be less charming than the others.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 06:04 AM
SRS

I completely concur with mamc. Arcos, Zahara, and Grazelema were our favorites!
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 06:55 AM

We stayed overnight in Arcos at the Parador there and loved it(but then again our room faced the Square and had 3 small balconies).

Like some of the others, I was a little bit let down by Ronda. Although we did not make it to Grazelema or Zahara, we really enjoyed Setenil part of which near the river/creek is carved right out of the rocks.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all your great advice. I have gotten lots of new help with the website you sent me MyriamC. Will definitely be visiting Zahara and Grazalema and following the Ruta from Arcos to Ronda. Counting the days!!
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 06:15 PM

I LOVED Vejer de la Frontera--it was really special and I also liked Cascares (we almost literally got stuck there when DH took a wrong turn and ended up at the end of town and couldn't back out--some local kids had to do it for us!). Also, Grazalema is supposed to be beautiful, though I haven't been there yet.

You might try looking at a gorgeous book called The Most Beautiful Villages of Spain by Hugh Palmer--it will give you some ideas I'm sure.

Have a great trip and report back to us!
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 08:56 AM

We also loved Casares. Bought the best Pata Negra ham in a local grocery store!
If you have some time left, another lovely village is Frigiliana. It may be a bit out of the way, though, as it's in the hills above Nerja.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 09:51 PM

Agree with Frigliana and if you're interested in caves, the ones just outside of Nerja are fantastic.