Suggestions for a LONG Evening in Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2005, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fodorites are always so helpful with their suggestions, I was wondering if any of you had any for this situation.

We will be leaving Venice on a Monday (in three weeks). However, our overnight train to Naples does not leave until midnight so our last day there will be a long one.

Any suggestions on what to do with our time this last evening in Venice? Our hotel will hold our luggage until we are ready to leave so obviously we will spend the day wandering and have dinner and all. Just wondering what you did if you were in the same situation once.

Thanks again! 18 days and counting!
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 05:12 AM

I can't think of a better way of ending an evening in Venice than sitting at Florian, sipping a glass of wine or prosecco, soaking up the atmosphere.

Don't forget to leave time to pick up your luggage and get to the train station.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 05:23 AM

Do as the Italians do... have a late dinner. Then, as Eloise suggests, maybe a limoncella at Florian.

13 days for me!

Have fun!!
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 06:18 AM

Actually, as I like to point out to people, Italians aren't Spanish-now the Spanish, they really DO eat late-their restaurants don't open until 9 or so, but the Italians aren't that way-they generally eat around 8 or even earlier.

And as for Florian-well, I don't think that's where most Venetians go-if you look in there in the evening, you'll see mostly tourists-it's way too expensive for most of the locals-they of course have their own places to go to, but it is lovely place to sit outside and view the activity in the Piazza.

I think if it were me, I might want to take a long stroll down the Riva degli Schiavone, and then come back up and stroll through San Marco, then go to the Hotel Monaco and Grand Canal Bar, which is on the back overlooking the punta della Dogana and the Salute Church-surprisingly, not too expensive for a glass of prosecco or the local cocktail, the spritz (made with prosecco and Campari). Then maybe stroll and window shop along the main luxury shopping drag the Calle XXII Marzo, for a bit, and then head over to Dorsoduro and stroll the Campo Santa Margherita-lots of little outdoor restaurants and bars in this area, find one for a drink or a light meal, and of course, cap it off with a gelato from Gelateria il Doge. Then as late as possible, I'd take that vaporetto up the Grand Canal. I tell you, there is NOTHING like taking the 12:30am vaporetto from Rialto to San Marco-just magic. Because of your late leaving, you'll be able to do that in the opposite direction to the train station at a time when the vaporetto shouldn't be as crowded, which is a lovely send-off- to pass all the beautiful Palazzi late at night, to see them lit up from the inside with those glittering Murano chandeliers and glimpses of elegant furnishings- a lovely remembrance of an exceptional place.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 08:07 AM

I agree, Spygirl, one does not go to Florian to mingle with the locals; one goes to Florian because it is in the Piazza San Marco, "the most beautiful living room in Europe" -- I didn't say that, Napoleon did. And then, of course, he dismantled the Venetian Republic.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Spygirl....We must be on the same page. That is exactly what I was thinking. As for Eloise's suggestion about Florian....we are staying right by Piazza San Marco so I think Florian's is a must. And I am guessing that we should have it pretty easy since our hotel is right there (to pick up our luggage) and that is where we will need to catch the vaporetto to get to the train station.

I AM SO EXCITED! Two and a half weeks and it is all I can think about. And it's not like I haven't been to Italy before. However, this will be our first trip to Venice and Capri. And on the way home, two days in Paris! Oooh la la!
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 09:40 AM

Yes, Eloise, I know Napoleon said that, and then he does his destruction stuff-go figure! He had all the stone lion's mouths torn off around the city where Venetians who had a "denuncia" (legal accusation/complaint) against someone (always had to be corroborated of course) could place them in the lion's mouth, to be collected and then taken up by the court system. Of course, Casanova had many, many denuncia from husbands whose wives he had seduced- a crime for which he ended up in the Palazzo Ducale prison annex-but his prison cell was not at all inhumane-one learns a few of these little tidbits in the "Secret Itineraries" tour.

And Dejais-sounds like one grand trip-can't beat your itinerary!
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 10:32 AM

Spygirl, I didn't post my last message to "outdo" you, but that is how you seem to have understood it.

I have also taken the Secret Itineraries tour and am well acquainted
with all the tidbits you have provided.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 11:30 PM

Huh? Other than your initial comment on Napoleon, my post was not directed to you at all. There are plenty of people who want information on the Secret Itineraries Tour, the bits about Napoleon, and how the Most Serene Republic handled secret communiques, are part and parcel of that tour. Providing information on a travel forum in my view, is not tinged with the concept of "outdoing" another poster, btw. If you think that way, well, that's your problem, not mine.