Search

Hotel planning?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel planning?

Hello to all experienced Italy travelers..

We are set with my wife's 40th birthday surprise...we are flying to Rome May 1st - May 7th, 2009. With one week to see all that we can, we're wondering where to stay in Rome...Should we be around the Spanish Steps..if so, where to stay? Would like to spend around $200-$300 US dollars per night...not enough? I'm looking for a nice, romantic, spot, no big hotel setting. I want the true experience... Thanks..
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 09:20 AM
sjj

I suggest the Piazza Navona, the Pantheon area, or the Campo dei Fiori. They're closer to the main tourist attractions than the Spanish Steps and the room rates are lower. I also suggest renting an apartment rather than staying in a hotel. It's less expensive, you get more privacy, and you can save money by eating some of your meals in your apartment. Finally, I suggest finding out when Museum Week occurs. If you go then you'll get free admission to all government operated museums.
Good luck and have a wonderful time.
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 09:30 AM

If it were my birthday gift I would definitely want a hotel - not an apartment. More romantic - and a lot less likely to involve work on her part.

I understand apartments for people with kids - but for an adult vacation a hotel is much more comfortable and relaxing - no temptation to cook or tidy up or whatever.
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip on Piazza Navona..I just did some quick research and noticed that it is one of the most exciting plazas to see..another quick question..

Does it make sense to get up to Florence for a day? If we leave Friday from Philly, get to Rome Sat. morning, I was thinking of taking a train to Florence and spend one night...is that too much with only about 5 nights all together in Italy?? thanks.
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

NYtraveler,

what hotel would you recommend around piazza navona?
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 09:57 AM

My answer to your Florence question would be don't do it. too much time for the limited amount of time you have in Italy. there is more than enough stuf in rome to keep you occupied for the time you will be there. Others may feel differently.

Also in spite of nytraveler's comments, if it were my birthday I'd want to stay in an apartment rather than a hotel. Much more romantic and you feel more like a resident than a tourist. Just because it will have a kitchen doesn't mean you have to cook. But it is nice to have a frige for snacks and breakfast stuff as well as wine.
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 10:11 AM

May not be the wisest move in terms of your total time in Italy, but I would train to Florence early a.m., spend a day hanging out, and then catch a late train back to Rome. Just a day trip.

Anna Roz
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 10:14 AM

For a hotel in Rome, google Albergo Santa Chiara which is fantastically situated just in the back of the Pantheon. We stayed there twice and will again when we return to Rome. I am not sure if the price would be within your limits, but it should not be too far off either.

Anna Roz
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 10:28 AM

I agree with the location. Our favorite is Albergo Cesari.