A room for family of 4 in Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning our first trip to Italy next June/July. It's my wife & I and two teen girls. We're looking at 5 days in Rome before moving on to Florence and Venice. Anyone have a reccomendation for accomodations in Rome? We'd want a nice place with a/c but it doesn't need to be 4 star. I'm intrigued by the idea of an apartment but would that be a mistake for a first-timer? A hotel in a historic area would appeal to me but the girls might prefer to be somewhere more hip.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 07:22 AM

I personally think the apartment route is a good idea with the size of your family. My DH and I rented an apartment on our first trip to Florence and Venice and had no problems whatsoever. As long as you do your homework about your desination beforehand and have a feel for the culture and how to get around, you should have no problem with having an apartment versus a hotel. IMO, it not only affords you more space and comfort, but also saves money in various ways.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 07:49 AM

Rent an apartment.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 07:52 AM

Agree, rent an apartment.I would recommend the Piazza Navona or Pantheon area for first timers and with teens.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 08:02 AM

I couldn't agree more. Two adults and and two teen girls in a hotel room is no vacation.

Get an apartment - preferably in the Historic Center near Campo dei Fiori or Piazza Navonna.

Here's a good place to start:
http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/listings/rome.asp

Make sure you check out the REVIEWS first:
http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/vr/list.asp?r=Rome
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 08:02 AM

Agreed with the above. Apartments are much more affordable and it will be easier to find something big enough for your family. If you get something around Piazza Navona its lively enough that your daughters will enjoy it and very centrally located.

Tracy
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 08:03 AM

We stayed in a family suitee at the Santa Chiara hotel. It's in a great location, right behind the pantheon. It had to rooms and 1 bathroom. One room had a queen bed, and the other 2 twins. The hotel also has a larger, apartment type suite with a kitchen, living area, etc.

Santa Chiara is 3*, has A/C and the breakfast buffet is fabulous.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 08:11 AM
jgg

We have stayed twice now in a quad room at Albergo Cesari (www.albergocesari.it). It is a very large room with one bathroom. It is an excellent location near the Pantheon. They are currently doing some major renovations to the hotel and plan to reopen in Nov.

We have stayed in apts. in Paris and London, and frankly just decided we are more of a hotel/B&B family. You do get more room and must say I loved having the washer and dryer on a 2 week vacation, but we found we missed having the people in the hotel or B&B to talk to, ask advice, or just shoot the breeze with. We have found that the owners/workers at some of the smaller hotels can really make our experience!!
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 08:44 AM

You may want to check out the Hotel delle Torre Argentina. Our family stayed at this hotel recently.

Our first choice was the Albergo Cesari, but Hotel delle Torre Argentina worked out just fine. We had two quad rooms and one double, continental breakfast was included. The A/C worked very well and the rooms were quiet.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 09:07 AM
MaureenB

A sort of half-way cross between a hotel and an apartment would be the Domus Julia. My daughter and I stayed there in May, in just a double/twin room. But you will need two bathrooms, with two teen girls, I'm guessing.

It is a nice place, in a great location, just down the street from the Barberini (sp?) Palace and a block or so from the top of the Spanish Steps. It's on a more quiet side street. We walked easily to the Trevi Fountain, Plaza Navonna, and Pantheon from there. Mass transit is easily located nearby, too, for the Vatican, etc.

If you go to their website, www.domusjulia.it, you will see they have various suite/apartment/room configurations. Our room was private with a newly-renovated ensuite bathroom, but we also had access to a kitchen/dining room had we wanted to use it.

Our room rate included a nice breakfast buffet, with soft boiled eggs and ham, pastries, cereals, cappuccino, etc. A very pretty breakfast room. We paid 170EUR in May.

Their sister property is the Hotel Julia. If you stay there, you can get a very inexpensive (12EUR) shuttle voucher, arranged by them from the airport.

Good luck!

Old Sep 7th, 2006, 09:12 AM
LN

Hi

We stayed closer to Vatican City in a family suite ( 2 rooms king bed, and twin beds in separate room with one bath) at the Hotel Olympia. The location was excellent for us and the staff and breakfast were great too.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Great responses, this is a big help. It seems that an apartment is the way to go. Anybody have any experience with Dolce Roma? Nice looking place near Campo de Fiori.
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 04:23 AM

biscuithead,

You might want to start a new thread - something like "Anyone rented an apt. from Dolce Roma?".

In the meantime, have you seen these reviews?

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/vr/review.asp?n=2283

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/vr/review.asp?n=2250

It looks nice and very updated (especially for a 12th century biulding).
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Good idea!
Old Sep 8th, 2006, 05:06 PM

We've reserved an apartment through sleepinitaly.com in
Trastevere, just across the pedestrian bridge from Campo area. We're taking our 2 teen grandsons, and the fact that it has 2 full bedrooms and 2 baths is very appealing to us! You might want to check it out.
www.sleepinitaly.com/files/apt_vicolocinque.html