Search

Hotel Lisbon

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2004, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Lisbon

Looking for moderate priced Lisbon hotel Situated in central location so as to allow for day trips outside of city itself.Should include breakfast in price.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 05:58 PM

I can highly recommend the VIP Aparthotel Eden. It is on the Praca dos Restaurados, and the location couldn't be more convenient.

The tourist office is 10 yards up the street, a metro stop entrance (Restaurados) is only steps from the front door, the Rossio train station is 1/2 block away (for trips to Sintra or Obidos), and the Gloria Elevador to the Barrio Alto is around the corner.

The main square (Rossio) is about one block distant, and you can easily take the metro to the Cais de Sodre stop for the suburban trains to Estoril and Cascais.

If you are planning to travel farther north by train, you can take the metro to the Oriente stop. From there trains depart for Santarem, Coimbra, Porto, etc.

The VIP Eden is very modestly priced, and serves an excellent buffet breakfast (for 5 euro)on the rooftop, glass-enclosed restaurant that has a gorgeous view of the Castelo.

There is also a rooftop swimming pool---very unusual for Lisbon and especially, a hotel at this price point.

If you check out it's web site, and the rave reviews on Trip Advisor---you will be sold on staying here.

We have stayed at the Avenida Palace, the Metropole, and the Lisboa Plaza on other trips to Lisbon. Since staying at the VIP Eden, we wouldn't want to spend the inflated prices at those other hotels again.
Old Jul 1st, 2004, 07:22 PM

What do you consider a moderate price for a hotel in Lisboa????

Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

Consider moderate $100Euros for hotel in Lisbon.
Old Jul 2nd, 2004, 03:57 AM

In answer to "picky",

Hotelclub.net is quoting a studio room for two persons with buffet breakfast in July(113 Euro) for the VIP Aparthotel Eden. (Without breakfast, 106 Euro).

Having done this before, check several web sites for your dates and also check with the hotel directly. When we booked, I called and got my best rate directly from the front desk reception.

Old Jul 4th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Georgine, thanks got VIP Eden. Going first week in October
Assume one can easily get Euros in airport and take a cab to hotel.Understand it is short trip so it shouldn't cost too much, correct.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 06:03 AM

Dear Picky,

Sorry for the late reply, but we were away for the 4th of July.

There are several ATM machines (to the right) when you come out the doors past the customs declaration area. You will then be in the main lobby of the airport.

There are three ways to get to town. The bus, which leaves every 20 minutes, and is the least expensive way. It actually does stop right outside the VIP Eden on Praca dos Restaurados.

The other two methods are by taxi. The longer wait and most expensive is using the taxi rank outside the lobby area.

The best taxi rate (at a firm price)is to go to the Tourist Information desk in the middle of the lobby. Ask them to get you a taxi to the VIP Eden. You pay them a flat price (which is about 15 Euro --if I remember correctly from last November.) A Tourist Office staff member will accompany you to the curb, flag down an incoming taxi, give them the coupon payment and your destination, and off you go without having to wait in the taxi rank line and you get a cheaper price. Also, you avoid the possibility of being "overcharged" by some of the less than scrupulous taxi drivers in Lisbon.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 06:41 PM

Just back from Lisbon 2 weeks ago. I think the Taxi vochure is much more expensive. It cost us EURO16 from airport to hotel. When we left hotel to airport, the bell boy found a taxi for us and it costed only Euro 8 by the meter. So far the taxi driver I met in Lisbon are very good and no unpleasant experience.
Old Jul 22nd, 2004, 08:58 AM

I travel 'on the cheap,' usually staying at Residenciales. My favorite in Lisbon is Residencial Estrela do Saldanha at the Duque de Avila exit of MetroLisboa's Saldanha station. It's Avda. de la Republica, 17. Manager Carlos Ferreira speaks passable English.

Continental Breakfast (included in room rate) used to be next door at Pasteleria Versailles, one of Lisbon's 'Golden Oldies.'

Sorry, I can't quote you a current rate although he was quite reasonable. It should be substantially less than 100 Euro.

He has a web site: Use your 'search engine' to find it.