hotel choice in Lisbon

Search

hotel choice in Lisbon

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hotel choice in Lisbon

I'll be traveling to Lisbon this fall for just two days prior to a conference--my first visit to Lisbon. So far I am considering the following hotels:
Hotel Sofitel
York House Hotel
Olissippo Castle Hotel

I would appreciate input re: pros/cons of these hotels and their locations, especially re: convenience to public transit, proximity to sights, and safety for a female traveling alone.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Jun 27th, 2008, 09:45 PM

rjerje,
I visited Lisbon in December 07 and January 08. Out of the three hotels you've listed I would go with The Hotel Sofitel. It is in a much more central location than the other two. I stayed at two different hotels, The Botanico and The Dom Carlos Liberty, in the same general area as the Sofitel and I walked almost everyplace except to The Castle, Belem, & Alcantara. There are loads of restaurants, cafes, bars, and shops all within 5-15 minutes walking. You are also very close to a metro station. The metro & the trams were great in Lisbon.

The Olissipo is up at the Castle and while that is a lovely area, it is atop an extremely steep hill. There are some restaurants and cafes in the area, but they're more limited. The York appears to be out at Alcantara and to me unless there is a huge price consideration, it just doesn't compare in location. Alcantara does have some good restaurants and bars but for myself I would stay more central at the Sofitel

I was a solo female traveller in Lisbon and I felt very safe. Just take the usual precautions and avoid flashing money, heading down dark alleys late at night, etc. Lisbon is a vibrant city with a good night life, so staying central there are always people about. I loved my time in Lisbon and in the rest of Portugal. You'll have a great time no matter where you stay.
Michele
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 05:37 AM

I recommend the Hotel Mundial, which is very close to Praca dom Pedro and Baixa--just a three-minute walk. You can walk everywhere from this hotel to see Castelo Sao Jorge, Alfama, Chiado. A metro stop is close by as is Rossio Station.

The hotel has great views of Castelo Sao Jorge.

Thin
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 08:04 AM

The Sofitel has the best combination of quality and location.
Old Jun 28th, 2008, 08:21 AM
AR

I'm going to Lisbon in July and have booked the Sofitel. Glad to hear the comments!
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input. The Sofitel sounds like the winner!

Old Jul 17th, 2008, 02:35 AM

I just spent 3 nights alone at the Sofitel-what a treat! My back room overlooked the park w/fountain and was quiet and well laid out-the bed was wonderful as was the bathroom w/Hermes toiletries, robe and slippers,fresh flowers in the room and bathroom,a bottle of water on the nightstand. The people at the reception desk were charming and helpful.There are 2 computers w/printer available just behind the reception desk-free and available 24 hours!Easy walk to everywhere.
The only warning I have for everyone visiting Lisbon is be careful walking,wear comfortable,flat shoes. Walking the streets of Lisbon-no such thing as an even or flat sidewalk!!!
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 03:56 AM

For all of the reasons given, Sofitel sounds like the best choice. If you have any problem and can't get into it, the York House is a lovely hotel. It's problem is location but it is very close to a tram line that will zip you into the central city in minutes.
Old Jul 25th, 2008, 11:48 AM
AR

Like Chapla, I've just returned from the Sofitel and I can't recommend the hotel enough. The rooms are spacious and the bathrooms excellent. They are friendly and helpful at the front desk and the walk into the centre is just 5-10 minutes away or, should you prefer, a metro stop is just seconds up the road.

I did notice that the restaurant was empty every night, but who wants to eat in their hotel when you have such a wonderful city lying in wait?