hotel info-in luzern and grindelwald

Jun 13th, 2002, 10:11 AM
bp

hotel info-in luzern and grindelwald

Has anyone stayed at the Palace hotel or Des Balance in Luzern? Is it a long walk to old town from the palace? How about convenience for doing lake excursions?

I read some not-so-nice posting about the Regina..and nice ones about Belvedere..has anyone stayed at either one?

Jun 13th, 2002, 10:46 AM
bettyk

bp, just stayed at the Des Balances a couple of weeks ago. It is a really nice centrally located hotel near the lake, on the Reuss River and in the middle of the Old Town sights, shopping, etc.

I have never stayed at the Palace but one of the websites I checked said it is 1 km to the train station which is just across the bridge from the Old Town. The excursion boats are also right next to the train station so it's all pretty close by.

Jun 13th, 2002, 11:00 AM
s

Hello bp,

I've stayed at Des Balances in Luzern, and loved it. I had a room (204, I think) overlooking the river and the Jesuit Church across -- stunning. The furnishings are cozy (can't say if they're actual antiques), and the hotel's restaurant is superb. One poster here, however, stayed there in summer and said that the noise from the street below is loud (no ac, window open).

In Grindelwald, I've stayed at the Belvedere but wasn't impressed. It seemed to be rather cold and non-descript. I really prefer the Schweizerhof for ambiance and service. I've never stayed at the Regina, but I'm not sure it would be worth the extra bucks (although once when I pulled into the Grindelwald train station, I saw a porter from the Regina waiting at the train tracks to assist their customers -- I wished I was staying with them that time!). I've always wanted to stay at the Regina in Wengen -- their website looks so luxe.

Hope some of this helps.

s

Jun 13th, 2002, 03:23 PM
Linda

We stayed at the Grand Hotel Regina in Grindelwald for a week last March. It is a wonderful hotel. Our room was facing the Alps, had a lovely balcony, was very spacious, and the bathroom - all marble and tile and huge. The staff was tremendous. They got us an International Herald Tribune each morning and delivered to us at breakfast. The sauna and pool was wonderful. So we highly recommend the Regina in Grindelwald.

Jun 13th, 2002, 06:56 PM
Lesley

Has anyone stayed at the Arabella Vitznau in Luzern? Is it far from Luzern? Is it difficult to get to Mt. Pilatus from Vitznau?

Jun 14th, 2002, 04:44 AM
s

For Lesley,

For transportation schedules, go to www.rail.ch, then click on "Travel/Timetables." You'll see that getting to Vitznau from Luzern takes anywhere from 47 mins to 1.13, taking a combination of train & bus, boat & bus, or directly by boat.

I think you got a lot of good information on getting to Mt. Pilatus on your thread, "Vitznau to Mt. Pilatus," but if you want to research on your own, you can plug that into the timetables too. Be sure to enter "Pilatus Kulm" for Pitalus. You'll get lots of connections -- all sorts of boat/bus/cable car combinations. You'll also see that the trip runs anywhere from 2.05 2.57.

Have a great time!

s

Jun 14th, 2002, 04:52 AM
Ursula

Make sure you check out the web page of Pilatus. It's very informative with current events and live web cam.
www.pilatus.com

Jun 14th, 2002, 05:23 AM
s

Lesley & Ursula,

Oh Ursula, why why why'dja do that to me?? I can see now where I'm going to spend today.

Lesley, the site Ursula has given is superb. I just played around for a few minutes and found a gold mine of info. Here are some highlights you really should not miss.

The "Travel Info" pages give maps, schedules, and detailed travel time for each of the methods to reach the top. The "Railways" pages give detailed information on the cogwheel train as well as the cablecar means up the mountain.

But the best pages are under "Golden Route." This gives a virtual tour using each of the routes with a combination of panoramic cameras and still photos. You have the option to start your travel by bus, train, or boat, and then you continue the tour the way you would do it in person. The photos literally show you the connections and the views for every step of the journey. I took the boat - cogwheel - cablecar journey before I decided to cut it short and report back here.

Anyway, using all the resources of this site and comparing it to the scheduled stops and routes at www.rail.ch (under "Journey Guide")will give you first-hand experience! You should be able to arrive and use the system like an old hand.

Have a great trip!

s

Jun 14th, 2002, 06:07 AM
Ursula

s: So sorry. ;o)
Have a great day wherever it will be.